USL General News thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by thefishy, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You do realize that most of the current USL teams are less than 5 years old? The past 2 to 3 years has seen a whole bunch of expansion teams joining the league. It might be time that you started to pay a little more attention to what is going on. I can't say that I have followed soccer 60 + years like you have, but the last 4 or 5 years really have passed you by.

2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    To illustrate a guy who was married to my wife's cousin told me he played pro soccer for a team in Roanoke. I first thought he said Richmond and for awhile I didn't really believe him. I did find out there was once a professional team in Roanoke and until someone puts another team their, I can say expansion hasn't become totally ridiculous.

3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_USL-2_clubs

My favorite name is either the Columbus Xoggz or the Everett BigFoot.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  5. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew exists in part because of the popularity of Xoggz. Fans still bring them up and wear their jersey's

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're adorable.

You're the guy with the sky is falling nonsense from 1998.

You're the guy who time has passed by.

Look, genius: 11 of the 13 D3 teams that started play between 2000-2013 folded. Since then, there have been 22 expansion teams in USL. (11 of them have been MLS2 teams.) One has gone away. (FC Montreal, because an affiliation with the recently moved from the NASL Ottawa became available and made more sense.) One. That's it. That's the list.

Instead of the Cincinnati Kings, we get FC Cincinnati. Instead of Antigua, we get Arizona.

Have you noticed what the "whole bunch of expansion teams joining the league" have in common? Either they're MLS2 teams, which are pretty solid regardless of what they draw because they have parent clubs that are solid, or they are independent teams that have been - for the most part - solid, with some spectacular.

The difference between the recent spate of teams and the Marcos-era expansion teams (which is apparently when you last took a deep dive into it) could not be more stark. (Thanks in part to the USSF standards.)

It's like when people compare the recent spate of MLS expansion to that of the original NASL and say it's the same thing all over and "warning, warning, warning." It's not. Those NASL clubs did not put down infrastructure, did not have to make the commitment these MLS clubs do, and are not in the same landscape. It's NOT the same thing.

And neither is this.

(By the way, I have been at this since about 1978, jagov. But whatever makes you feel less insecure about me knowing more than you, feel free.)

7. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I love getting you riled up, Kenn! You have been at this since 1978? Man are you old. That is the same year that I became involved, so I am equally as old. I do understand all of the changes that have been going on. I worry that the foundation is still made of sand. At least there is a foundation now. MLS 2 teams are great, but where do they fit in the structure? Is owning two professional teams even financially sustainable? I don't know.

How many teams and owners want to be involved with minor league soccer. You mention Arizona and Cincinnati. These are 2 teams that wish to move up to MLS. Will they be satisfied with permanent minor league status? I am even concerned that much of the increase in equity for MLS teams, is driven by the potential purchase price of expansion franchises. Demand exceeding supply. Once expansion is taken out of the equation, what becomes of the financial & business model?

As someone involved in financial analysis and economic feasibility for a living, I love the business side of sports. Most professional sports leagues defy any economic reality. I understand the appeal of owning an MLS team. Even today, the economics and ego appeal still makes sense. But if I had to sell Division 3 franchises to potential investors, I wouldn't know where to begin. It would be really hard to draft a compelling selling proposition for consumer demand for such a league.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Then why do you again and again fail to account for them in your appraisal of the current state of lower division soccer in the US?

aetraxx7 repped this.
  9. Cirris

Cirris Member+

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I'm surprised no one posted this yet.

Looks like USL is going multi-tier in 2019.

I'm wondering if there will be pro/rel in the two tiers.

10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If there is, I'd be surprised if it's based on actual results.

11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It has its own thread since it was announced last month.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/d3-division-announced-for-2019.2042491/

The statements from the USL haven't specifically ruled out pro-rel but it doesn't sound like that will be a part of the organization.

12. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Start with the franchise valuations.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  13. CFLRowdiesFan

CFLRowdiesFan Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Many of the newer big market USL sides were already talking about MLS early on - and some of them are legitimate contenders. But they all can't get into the club. And it's not just USL teams - the same goes for Indy and North Carolina in the NASL. If they don't get in what happens? Do they sell? Do they take their ball and go home? Assuming USL won't apply for D 1 status with the MLS partnership in force, do the clubs mount a challenge to the status quo and go to the NASL - provided it lives long enough?

All in all, the next decade *could* prove to be the most interesting in the history of U.S. club soccer.

hipityhop repped this.
  14. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Exactly. That is my main concern. Are these owners willing to accept D2 status?

15. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    DoyleG, CFLRowdiesFan and oneeyedfool repped this.
  16. CFLRowdiesFan

CFLRowdiesFan Member

Sep 22, 2016
    It was a good article, although a few things have changed since then...mainly regarding the status of the two leagues. With the leagues now both at D 2 status, it's more about philosophy. What do you want your league to be? Independent or affiliated with MLS? If they stay at the D 2 level, are you OK with playing the MLS 2 sides for as much as half your home schedule?

17. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I highly doubt Edmonton, Puerto Rico, Ottawa, Tulsa, Colorado Springs, Charleston, Reno, Charlotte, RGV, and a handful of others have any TRUE AND REAL aspirations of MLS Expansion.

There are plenty of owners/clubs/markets that aren't D1 and are just fine with it. That is a thing that exists in this country's sporting landscape. Why is that hard for so many people to understand?

aetraxx7 repped this.
  18. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Aspirations and expectations are different things. Personally, I would expect every team to aspire to be at the highest level.

19. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course they are ... but the point is that you can aspire to be at the highest level you can, and it NOT be the highest level available.

Reality doesn't care much for hopes and dreams.

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Why?

If you own a team and you can't afford to operate at, or your market isn't big enough to support at, a higher level, why would you aspire to put yourself out of business?

Some people are fine franchising McDonald's without aspiring to franchising Wolfgang Puck's.

song219 and aetraxx7 repped this.
  21. CFLRowdiesFan

CFLRowdiesFan Member

Sep 22, 2016
    My point wasn't about those cities, it was about Tampa Bay...and San Antonio among others.

What happens if they don't get to MLS?

Threeke repped this.
  22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Danger! Moving goalposts!

HailtotheKing repped this.
  23. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An Orlando SC, Tampa Bay FC, and a Miami FC (Becks) MLS can exist, it would be an awesome three way rivalry

CFLRowdiesFan repped this.
  24. Stephen York

Stephen York Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL.
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    If Tampa makes it in the team will be the Rowdies, not Tampa Bay FC. But yeah, the cities are close enough to make a great rivalry without poaching fans.

25. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    I caught your drift. I think that these existing teams who are aiming for MLS and don't get it may very well shift away from USL. I doubt all of them do. It's entirely possible they all stay. But the reality is that whatever is driving them to seek MLS will not be satisfied if they don't make the cut.