USL General News thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by thefishy, Sep 28, 2014.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah my guess is that they might have even been the group who pushed for this...

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL 's Winter summit started Wednesday in Florida.
    http://www.uslsoccer.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32800&ATCLID=210573534

some news about improving broadcast

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frank Yallop to coach and run soccer ops in Arizona.

The last ten years, Yallop has coached 284 MLS games and made the playoffs exactly once.

4. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twice, 2010 and 2012 and won the Supporters Shield that year. Both while coaching San Jose.

kenntomasch repped this.
  5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct, I missed 2010.

Still, his stock has dropped considerably in 10 years.

6. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt but hopefully getting fresh start in AZ will be good for his career.

7. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I was never that impressed with him. Still, it is a big get for Arizona United

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't think of too many guys (Preki is one) who have coached in MLS and went to D3. Curt Onalfo doesn't really count.

9. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    Time for a 2016 thread?

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    GalaxyKoa repped this.
  11. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa. Looking forward to reading more about this one. Getting rid of a delinquent ownership group seems like a good thing, though, as long as new one can be found.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Yeah, this should be interesting.

I noted on MLSN&A that Rochester is New England's USL affiliate.

I think New England should just outright buy the team.

13. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping New England follows suit with Philly Union and makes their wholly owned affiliate a little closer to home... Fall River Marksmen.

14. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does this even work? The Rhinos must be worth a few million, and I can't imagine USL can just seize them. Did the other owners buy them out? Do They get the revenue from a sale?

I'm scared and confused.

15. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the Rhinos deserve a better ownership!

Flowercitysupporter repped this.
  16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    From the articles posted it sounds like the Rhinos might not be worth anything. Especially once the USL revoked the current owner's franchise rights. The City had already terminated the stadium lease. That's mostly what a new owner would be buying. What else is there besides the name of the team? The current owner seems OK with the league taking over the franchise probably because he gets out from under ongoing shortfalls.

17. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, maybe the ownership deserves better support?

Supposedly he's bleeding "several hundreds of thousands" every year. Granted, that is nothing considering Austin lost over $1 million in a $2 million operating budget.

I don't know much of anything how each were owned and operated, but to win USL...ownership must have been doing SOMETHING right.

18. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expected USL to lose a couple of teams in the midst of its expansion and new vision. However I thought HCI would go before Rochester, although I admit I didn't know all the struggles Rochester was going through.

19. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Rochester isn't going anywhere, the USL took over control of the team until new a new ownership group can be found. No guarantees on the latter part obviously, but that's the plan going forward. They'll be playing this season.

Flowercitysupporter repped this.
  20. Flowercitysupporter

Sep 23, 2015
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    There is no way the club is worth nothing. the USL will never sell a team worth nothing because it will make the league look bad, especially the champions being sold for nothing. Clark bought the team for 2 million and did win a championship. My guess is the sale price will be around that number.

21. Flowercitysupporter

Sep 23, 2015
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    the silverware alone can sell. remember out of all North American soccer clubs/teams, the Rhinos probably have the most silverware. if not, top 3 at least.

22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I probably overstated the case but I was mostly answering in terms of who gets any money when the league finds a new owner. What assets does Clark have that he would be selling? Looks to me like the new owner would mostly be acquiring debt if they are acquiring the company running the team. Back when Clark bought the team for $2 million it had $10 million in debt with $3 million of that to Clark's bank. They announce a sale price of $2 million but what does that really mean? Is the team worth $2 million more than the debt or was that just Clark, the bank, and the creditors shifting money around?

The original question was who gets the money from a sale of the team. That is only loosely connected to the "value" of the team in this case. You are correct in that they will announce a sale price. Some money will change hands: Clark will probably get some of it depending on who takes responsibility for the debts and the league will get some of it.

23. Flowercitysupporter

Sep 23, 2015
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    my guess is that clark will get some money from the sale. i think the new owner/owners will have to pay some back to the city as well as either buying the stadium from the city or working something out with a lease where money is paid upfront instead of during or after the season/year. so the total cost will include both. for example the team sells for 4 million, clark gets his 2 million back and eats the rest while the city gets the rest of the purchase price.

In my opinion, the rochester rhinos are in a better spot than other new USL clubs that dont have a soccer specific stadium. for an investor that wants MLS (not saying that will happen, it will take to alot of money and time) they are getting a SSS that only needs upgrades, not the long process of trying to get a SSS. the investments needs to be in the club and the community not a SSS. fixing the issues is far easier than the process of building a SSS.

24. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure any of this matters. The city essentially "forclosed" the lease Clark, the league "forclosed" their franchise rights. Clark doesn't look to be putting up much of a fight. That might be because he's already agreed to the terms of what he gets (doesn't owe the city the money he owe's, etc) and just wants out.

This sounds like the best for all parties and I hope someone steps up that will own the team (ideally locally).