USL Expansion General discussion

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by mikehurst21, Jan 4, 2016.

1. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Not too sure about having the East bay team in Concord. Apparently he wants to build a stadium next to the Concord Bart station.

I think this team could be a huge success in Oakland but in Concord??

2. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And add El Paso to the league.

[​IMG]

JDogindy and athletics68 repped this.
  4. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice! With addition of El Paso in Texas, which has RGV, San Antonio and Austin in 2019, next we need Ft Worth Team and Albuquerque. With FC Rising in Phoenix, El Paso is located in a very central location, with Colorado Springs to the North... 5 new teams in 2019, don't forget San Diego will probably start in 2019 and I wouldn't be surprised to see Jacksonville reimerge. USL is getting a larger and larger footprint, and I could see this league split to 4 10 team divisions next year.......

And when would they be adding Chicago and East Bay? Are we talking about a league heading for 48 teams?

Owen Thornhill and 2in10 repped this.
  5. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago in 2020 and East Bay in 2021. Hartford, Baltimore and DC United 2 are coming in the next couple of years most likely also. I think it will end up around 40.

I think Phoenix may end up in MLS. I suspect Sacramento will get there and Cincinnati seems very close from some of the stuff I have read.

USL said they would go 3 conferences in 2019. East, Central and West.

I could see a West, Central, Northeast and Southeast conferences in a couple of years.

Orlando B and Rochester are supposed to go to USL D3 next year from what I have been reading.

C-Rob and hipityhop repped this.
  6. Salvadanish

Salvadanish Member

Sep 14, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Impressive news on the expansion front ... including all confirmed franchises for 2019, all Western metro areas over 750k will now have a pro soccer team, except Bakersfield. (If you extend that group to 500k+ then you can add Boise, Spokane, and Stockton/Modesto.)

Sandon Mibut, artml, 2in10 and 1 other person repped this.
  7. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the only one missing is Albuquerque.

hipityhop repped this.
  8. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm wondering if Swope Park would go USL D3 ?

2in10 repped this.
  9. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You got to remember some of the current teams may drop to USL3.

hipityhop, Owen Thornhill and 2in10 repped this.
  10. BUSA Bulldog

BUSA Bulldog Member

Jan 19, 2007
    NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what goes into the decision to drop to d3? Is it different for independent, affiliates, and 2 teams?

11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    There is very little difference between independent and affiliates. Affiliates are independent teams with the exceptions of hybrids like RGV and Reno. I wouldn't think that would influence decisions very much. Those teams are probably going to try to stay D2 as long as they can. What is the upside for them to drop down to D3 if they are already in D2? MLS2 teams definitely have different priorities.

Geography will probably be a big factor for all teams. Right now it looks like USL D3 is starting with Southeast and Southwest divisions. MLS2 in those areas will be more likely to drop down than teams in other parts of the country.

2in10 repped this.
  12. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the live stream of El Paso's press conference Edwards confirmed that Albuquerque is in also, and will soon be announced.

artml, JDogindy, hipityhop and 1 other person repped this.
  13. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Reno was like RGV but I saw an article come out that said that San Jose and Reno had "renewed affiliation" for 2018, so I'm putting Reno into the affiliate category, unlike RGV.

Otherwise, agree, I think most will stay in D2 until they're pushed down by USL or if there's a geographical fit and they feel the competition level isn't a huge step down. What MLS teams DON'T want is for their MLS2 teams to not play competitive games.

14. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, didn't see the cast. Very cool to see such expansion.

hipityhop repped this.
  15. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are a hybrid affiliation. SJ runs the team and supplies some of the players. Reno handles the business side and also provides some players.

Blando13 repped this.
  16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Houston and RGV also use the word "affiliate" and "affiliate agreement" even though the Dynamo hire the coaches and pick all the players. Even the totally owned MLS2 teams use that language. I really wish they would use different words because people hear "affiliate" and think different things. Some that it is the "loan a few players" and others that it is like minor-league baseball that also uses the word affiliate.

https://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2015/07/16/houston-dynamo-reach-affiliate-agreement-start-usl-club-rio-grande-valley-it’s

Blando13 and 2in10 repped this.
  17. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    I hope T2 drop to D3 with S2 and we might win a few games. Since Timbers cut funding on T2 we have not been competitive and this is going to be another miserable year.

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda hope T2 and S2 stay up. I like the idea of San Diego 1904 playing S2, T2 and Galaxy 2

19. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing a lot of people talking about clubs going down to D3, not just in here.

As far as Reno goes, I severely doubt SJ wants us in D3. They want us developing almost-MLS-ready players, not just-above-amateur players.

As for True2 clubs, I really don't see too many of them dropping to D3. People cite competitiveness is a big issue even though SPR went to the finals twice in a row, SLC won the West, and RB2 won it in 2016 (and were competitive in 2017.)

Another issue cited is attendance. The league wants better atmosphere but the MLS parent clubs probably don't care as long as they are getting players from the investment. Struggling clubs are looking at fixing attendance as well, with S2 turning hybrid and moving to Tacoma (with T2 rumored to be doing the same with Boise.)

I see maybe two or three MLS2 clubs moving to D3. I base that on nothing, but it seems more reasonable than the wave of "SEND ALL 2 TEAMS TO D3 EVEN IF THEY'RE BETTER THAN MY INDEPENDENT CLUB".

20. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El Paso Patriots fly again!

2in10 repped this.
  21. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    #671 Kombucha, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    The “2” clubs that have been strong in the past have had few real prospects playing for them and played a lot of USL vets.

The “2” clubs that stink are filled with prospects and academy players.

The first scenario is basically a waste of money unless you surround enough talent around high end Tyler Adams types.

The second is difficult because how much can the prospects actual develop getting handled soundly week in and week out.

Really need D2 to polish almost ready MLS players and D3 to develop raw younger talents.

Ideally MLS would have a D3 Academy type team and an D2 affiliate to graduate players too. See A ball and then AAA baseball.

Right now teams like S2 and T2 are A ball clubs playing AAA and that is the problem, but a team like the Monarchs who were AAA quality literally had no prospects and were pointless for developing players.

Balerion, 2in10 and matbluvenger repped this.
  22. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sending the 2 teams to D3 isn't all about them not being "pro enough" or about them being "just above amateur." It's a financial move that the 1 teams don't want to meet the Professional League Standards that USSF arbitrarily put out. They are expensive to operate.

If you can do the same thing, which you can, from a cheaper perspective in D3 then it makes sense. Remove the dumb PLS and it may look different in the American pro game.

23. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    MLS 2 teams won't develop players very well at a lower standard of football but I guess MLS owners are more concerned with $$$ than bringing through quality players.

24. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see any of the teams added in 2018 or 2019 going down to D3. How many teams will go down? I can't think of too many other than MLS teams.... which would be okay with me.

25. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not act like there's a huge disparity between USL (D2) and USL3.