USL Adding Division 3: What does that mean?

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by Threeke, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
  2. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    It would pretty much have to be regional to be successful, wouldn't you think? And that's just one component. You would think that if teams who wanted to be Division 3 would have already cast their lot with USL previous to this year.

I agree that there is room for such a league in the US, but I'm not sure the economic reality matches up with the desire at this point.

3. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if you do four regions it could work well - Northeast, South, Midwest and West.

PDL teams that have expressed an interest in going pro are the low hanging fruit here:

- Albuquerque Sol
    - FC Tucson
    - Fresno Fuego
    - San Francisco City FC
    - Long Island Rough Riders

Then you could say NPSL teams that have expressed an interest in going pro would be the next most likely, though some of these are aiming toward NASL:

- Detroit City FC
    - Grand Rapids FC
    - FC Buffalo
    - Albion SC Pros (San Diego)
    - FC Arizona

Open league clubs have expressed an interest in going pro:

- Lansdowne Bhoys (Yonkers NY)
    - Harpos FC (Boulder CO)

Then sprinkle in some MLS2 teams. Could even be more MLS-affiliated teams as a team like Portland might drop T2 down to D3 and do the Reno/RGV or Bethlehem model in Boise in D2

4. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swope Park Rangers should be Div 3 and get a div 2 team in Wichita.

5. CenCalFooty

CenCalFooty Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Fresno
    Club:
    Fresno Fuego
    I think Fresno is going to be in USL(1/2?) looks not so bueno for the Fuego though.

6. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea it depends on how that all shakes out. But they are one of the PDL teams who have expressed a pro interest so I added them

7. flyfresno

flyfresno Member

Fresno Fuego
    Apr 2, 2017
    Fresno, Minneapolis
    CenCalFooty repped this.
  8. flyfresno

flyfresno Member

Fresno Fuego
    Apr 2, 2017
    Fresno, Minneapolis
    I have been to both SFCFC and SF Delta matches in the last year...the Deltas (obviously) had a much better turnout than SFCFC, but it wasn't *that* amazing, and there were about 2X as many Fuego fans as SFCFC fans at the match I went to. The question is, could SF support two pro soccer teams playing in the same stadium?

9. etan86soccer

etan86soccer Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Des Moines, IA
    Des Moines Menace twitter states they are going to have a big announcement some point this week---They have some decently deep pocketed owner in the Krause family that owns kum and go gas stations and several other investments. Could be an early announcement for USL 3? I know several years ago they stated that they were looking into the possibility of one of the pro leagues. Has been a great PDL franchise over the years with several upset wins in the open cup.

hipityhop, oneeyedfool and CenCalFooty repped this.
  10. CenCalFooty

CenCalFooty Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Fresno
    Club:
    Fresno Fuego
  11. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    According to one rumor, San Diego was supposed to be announced as a USL expansion market in March. I guess something changed.

oneeyedfool repped this.
  12. CenCalFooty

CenCalFooty Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Fresno
    Club:
    Fresno Fuego
    Less than a year out, would need to announce it soon I would think.

13. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Yep. It seems like USL is waiting on San Diego's MLS bid to either sink or swim before launching. If this thing goes to a public vote in November like it sounds like it will, we'll be waiting for some time. Possibly not even launching until 2019.