USers and football,will it ever be a succes?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by naamforbigfootball, Jun 1, 2003.

1. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    To answer the original question: no.

If what we've done with soccer in the last 10 years isn't success, then success will never come, no matter how many World Cups we win

2. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Hockey and Baseball are losing popularity every day. Eventually (10-15 years) soccer will claim the third spot.

10 years down the road.
    1-Football
    2-Basketball
    3-Soccer
    4-Baseball
    5-Hockey

I know this might offend some people, Baseball being america's passtime and all, but we all know that america's passtime now days is really football (be honest with yourself, NFL & NCAA).

3. usamanunitedkeeper

usamanunitedkeeper New Member

May 8, 2003
    very intellignet however im going to continue to call it by football as that is the correct word based on connatation, perhaps maybe not dennotation but i feel football is the most correct term and i think soccer sounds ******************.

4. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no you are right. baseball and hockey are dying, although this yr's stanley cup playoffs is really helping hockey i think. as for baseball, i wish it were less popular than soccer is right now, i hate it.
    but i was just basing my opinion on if baseball's and hockey's popularity stayed at where it currently is (instead of shrinking like it will).

5. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as americans we want to be the best (or one of the best in everything that has importance) at what we do. for soccer to be a success in the us i think we would have to be a power-house nation and consistently (over yrs) a top team. obviously we are not there yet, i would call the last 10yrs successful progress.

another thing that is kind of relative to the topic. many of us americans label every1 who thinks the us is bad and someone else is good as a eurosnob, well to let you know there has to be an american-snob or something to that extent.
    these people are so damn ignorant to think one good run in the wc and make a nation great. so many are biased in their love for mls and the nt. i hear people discussing how many world cups the us will win in the near future. some people are just so ignorant.
    to some it up: please stop judging the us soley on our performance on the wc. wow we made it to the quaters, big deal. korea made it to the semis, how many of you americans would rate korea better than the us?
    and you can have a different point of view without being a euro-snob.

6. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    all i have to say is that when we finally do become an all out success we will still call it "Soccer" and maybe just maybe refer to the MLS Cup champions as "World" champions, we are american after all :)

7. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    I want to see em play on horseback! That would be kickass! But what would they call it then?

8. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Ok I'll buy that argument. As an American myself, I consider myself and my country the best, However, Soccer must be given it's due Respect. It's more than a Game. It's Heart and Soul, not who is best on any given day. But above all... it's Respect and Tradition. Please respect the nations that have more tradition than we do, we can learn from them, and start our own tradition. Or is our tradition to make fun of everone that isn't American?

9. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Horseball, of course. Makes for great conversation.

"Jimmy, bring that bag of horseballs!"
    "I took a horseball right to my face."
    "Kick that horseball really hard."
    "Get used to the feel of the horseball."

10. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha, very true.

11. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    i'm serious btw. i want to see MLS become so successfull that we call the MLS Cup winner WORLD CHAMPIONS just like all our other sports. New England Revolution 2013 World Soccer Champions has a nice ring to it doesn't it?

12. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Well, in Thailand they play on elephant back.

13. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Well, call it what you like. I'm as likely to say "football" as "soccer," depending upon what circles I'm in. But I don't get p***ed off at people who say "soccer" as some people apparently do.

14. miko

miko New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Ireland
    Hahahaha, like that will ever happen!

15. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    It was a joke you ignorant dolt. I wouldn't expect an idiot like you to pick that up, although I'm sure that's what makes you a manchester united fan you bandwagoner. Are you a Yankees fan too? I bet you went nuts when your favorite team Brazil won the world cup. Ok, I'm done, you can go back to beating off to your Posh and becks pictures. :D

16. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Nope. I'm basing it on 1) participating in three world cups (last 10 years) and not doing too badly at all, 2) launching a moderately successful domestic league from scratch, 3) raising the domestic awareness of the sport to the point where most sports fans can call up the name of at least one US and one foreign player, 4) building two stadia soley for soccer, 5) maintaining a top-10 FIFA ranking for damn near a year.

We've gone from an afterthought to a significant "every four years" sport, and we're one Freddy Adu breakout performance in the U-17 World Cup from hitting that "hundredth monkey" threshold in the sportworld's collective consciousness. MLS seems to have at least found a model for sustainable profitability with the SSSs.

Waiting for us to own soccer like we own baseball and basketball before calling US Soccer a success is silly.

Homer? You bet your ass I am. However, under any measurement, save out-and-out international domination of the sport, we have been successful.

17. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wasnt referring to you, i agree in what has happened in the last 10yrs is a success but as a whole i just dont see soccer as a success yet.

18. boofdog18

boofdog18 New Member

Re: It already is.

please wake up and change the sheets from your wet dream. do you realise that only 7 countries have won the world cup? please think with some perspective. you think us will win more than one cup in your lifetime? they arent just handed out like candy.

19. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Re: Re: It already is.

Well Said.

20. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    You people get p*ssed off at some of the most retarded *************** - it's funny keep it up. :)

And they'd call it hoofball, not horseball. Otherwise we'd be calling it manball now.

"Oh, he plays with the manballs better than anyone I've ever seen..."

21. Laggard

Laggard New Member

May 23, 2001
    Beeswax Noneofyour
    Any thoughts as to why so many kids play soccer yet so few watch it?

22. miko

miko New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Ireland
    A lot of times matches are only on pay-per view or cable, which a lot of children don't have.

23. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Because there aren't any big american soccer stars to market to the kids. Kids here grow up saying " I want to be like Michael Jordan" or "I want to be like Derek Jeter". You don't really get a lot of "When i grow up I want to be just like Clint Mathis".

BTW, did anybody see the MTV awards tonight? The Beckham's presentation of an award was completely nixed from the program.

24. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't understand. Why do you need to market them for kids to watch the game? They don't have to be stars.

It really has to do with the sport not being big enough. If the sport gains popularity people will make their own heroes.

I never wanted to be like Stefan Petterson. He was my hero and still is one of the greatest 'Ajacieden' ever. I doubt you'll find anyone here (except Tombo and Oscar and some other Dutch posters) who knows who he is.

25. Laggard

Laggard New Member

May 23, 2001
    Beeswax Noneofyour
    I figured that if you play a game you must love it (or at least like it) and that you'd maybe want to watch it also.

I realize that it's not easy to find on TV. However, if a million teens demanded it, some network would listen.

And if you're a soccer player, why would you want to be Jordan?