USers and football,will it ever be a succes?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by naamforbigfootball, Jun 1, 2003.

1. naamforbigfootball

Jun 1, 2003
  2. jlmatthews

jlmatthews New Member

May 18, 2003
    Toledo
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May not be a 'total success' right now. But the corner has definately been turned IMHO. That's like asking me to fortune tell. And a fortune teller, I am not...

3. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    It already is.

Long ways to go, but US football is all upside. If it was a bell curve, we are just hitting the rapid upslope. How far will it go? I fully anticipate I will live to see the US win at least one World Cup, maybe more. I bet you dollars to doughnuts that the US wins a WC before England. With almost all of the winning side's players coming from MLS. It's that good.

4. naamforbigfootball

Jun 1, 2003
    God bless US football

5. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Football is already incredibly successful in America. Look how many people attended the Super Bowl last year! I think we should worry more about soccer, it needs improvement here.

6. WatfordFC Fan

WatfordFC Fan New Member

May 19, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I think you are talking about the sport of "helmetball." Football is played with the feet, not the hands like helmetball, hence the name "football" . Still confused?

7. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: It already is.

Bring it on fat boy!

8. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Um, no. And by your definition, it should be called footheadchestshoulderthighball.

Football is named so, because it's played on foot, rather than on horseback. The original form of the game, folk football had no rules restricting the use of hands, or any other part of the body. Like it or not, the American variation of football is no less a part of the football family than say, Rugby Football, Australian Rules Football, Gaelic Football , and our favorite, Association Football.

9. Cleve-MLS-fan

Cleve-MLS-fan New Member

Feb 5, 2001
    YYYESSSSS whooooohhhooo

Streamlined stabilized MLS

Crew Stadium ,Home depot (GAlaxy) ,Dallas' mew Stadium (working money making models)

improved A league , improving viewing accessability of the sport (mls, a-league) espn2 foxsports etc.

and most importanly I lOVE IT it WILL definitelyl succeed

10. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Oh my, that makes so much more sense now. Seriously. I've been an American football fan for years and I still don't know why it's called football. :)

11. WatfordFC Fan

WatfordFC Fan New Member

May 19, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I wasn't aware of that. But ask any American why helmetball is called "football" and they won't have a clue. You think the average meathead U.S. football fan knows their sport is named so because it isn't played on horseback? At least the naming of real football "football" is slightly more straightforward.

12. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    LOL. That's funny. Most of the people here don't get what you are saying. Just read their responses.

13. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Likewise, ask any English fan why soccer is called football and they would most likely be mistaken.

And I don't understand why people try to paint the average American football fan as "metheads". I, and most of my friends love American football, yet we are anything but meatheads.
    Sure, there are meatheads who watch American football, but like soccer, it has nuances and subtleties that take some degree of sophistication to appreciate. And it's not like soccer supporters are singing songs about nuclear physics or Voltaire.

14. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    It must be that they are still watchinf re-runs of "All In The Family" on the BBC

15. usamanunitedkeeper

usamanunitedkeeper New Member

May 8, 2003
    you are such a freakin idiot. please dont think amerincans are all like this. Football is its rightfull name dont get it mixed up with any of this "fagball" or "helmetball"

16. AAGunner3

AAGunner3 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez, missed the sarcasm/humor did we?

Face it, in America, football is known as, and will for as long as it is successfull, the game played with the oblong brown ball. Get over it.

Our beloved game in America, for better or for worse, is called soccer. Just start talking football with and of the local denizens. They'll be talking NFL while you are talking MLS.

I wish it were different, but let's be realistic based on the current environment.

17. usamanunitedkeeper

usamanunitedkeeper New Member

May 8, 2003
    we can't let it happen though its a travesty that its called anything but football. Call me pretentious but why do we call it soccer when the rest of the world calls it football? the day everyone calls it by its rightfull name might be the day all our good american talent doenst leave for england which will be never.

18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    No, football is not its rightful name. The proper name is association football.
    Americans call it soccer because it's an abbreviation for "association". Guess who came up with it? The English, obviously. Both "soccer" and "football" are acceptable shorthands for "association football".
    Basically any sport that derived from "folk football" is, by definition, football. American football is a variation of rugby football, which came around about the same time as association football. Actually, the divide between the "kicking" style of football (soccer) and the "hacking" style of football (rugby) is, for all intents and purposes, the birth of the modern game.

There is no true form of football. Soccer just happens to be the most popular variation.

And the rest of the world doesn't call it football.
    Australians call it soccer.
    Italians call it calcio.
    Japanese call it sakkaa
    ... and so on and so on.

19. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Yeesh.... I was on the EA Sports forums and had to leave because a discussion just like this one was getting ridiculously out of hand.

It's just a dialect difference, people! Just as we say "soccer" instead of "football" here in the US, the English say "lift" instead of "elevator." It's just a difference in dialect! Get over it!

20. Alphonse

Alphonse New Member

May 30, 2003
    La France
    Allo clown, amuse moi. You have been very dissapointing so far, I think I am going to ask for a refund. :(

21. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Because the name is derived from "association football," the true name of the sport should be ASSBALL.

Yes, I will continue to post this joke for as long as this topic is brought up.

22. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    that's almost as funny as CONCACRAP.

23. Alphonse

Alphonse New Member

May 30, 2003
    La France
    C'est tout?

Do you want me to give you lessons in being le funny?

24. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    The moderator...

The moderator blows his whistle and motions one of the players closer. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a card.

25. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    imo (and many others) soccer is currently the 5th most popular sport in the US and it may always stay there, but thats not a bad thing. football and basketball are relatively close in popularity, while hockey and baseball i think are pretty close too. currently soccer is far below all four of those sports. i think soccer's popularity will eventually be competitive with that of hockey and baseball which will change everything for the US (in terms of soccer). due to our large population the US could still be one of the best teams in the world even if it was the 5th sport of america.