User guide to the new forums

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    I expected much worse. This looks alright to me. I liked the old BigSoccer design but this new one is not as bad as I feared.

2. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  3. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Miss the forum bar on the left side of threads. I often navigated to forums from there. My watched forums lists all forums. My watched threads is not my big soccer. Where are the friends updates?

Hate anywhere there is gray letters on white background. Can't read the date and time without hovering with mouse pointer - the date because of the gray lettering and the time because it doesn't show without hovering. The color scheme also makes it hard to see posts delineation or the delineation of quoted posts within a post.

4. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    The initial look after the update was not good, but I like this new look. Only major thing affecting user-friendliness for me so far is subscribed forums, make it come back asap please. And the happy smilie is an idiot, reminds me of this guy:

:)

[​IMG]

Otherwise good job so far.

KensingtonSC and locoxriver repped this.
  5. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    P.S. sort out the time limit for editing posts please.

6. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Thanks for the reply. Now when I went to my "watched threads", I just see a list of sub-forums (Asia, America, etc.) instead of the specific threads that I follow and post on. I am assuming you're still tweaking this so that eventually one can see the threads he/she regularly follows?

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think they said that was another dataset/table/whatever which was currently being imported and they wanted to get basic functionality up and running quickly.. Probably have to leave it a few days before giving any definitive statements as to whether it's an improvement or a step backwards.

It does seem quicker which is never a bad thing.

I'd be interested to know what software they changed from and to... anyone?

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    OK, that HAS to be a mistake :eek: :D

9. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know that not all the old threads have been yet loaded, but I don't see the thread about the italian women football championship, that I was ready to update with the last matchday results...pleeease don't forget it ! :(

10. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Can we put moderators on our Ignore List yet?

11. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want echo what Knave said. There are about 25 forums that I regularly troll, and the rest of them, I don't give a rats ass about and don't want to read them. I don't care about soccer in 3rd world countries like England. I don't care about the backwater European Cups or whatever they're called. I don't care about leagues south of the Rio Grande, I mean do they even play soccer down there or call it some other silly name that I refuse to pronounce?

I hope my post doesn't reflect negatively on Knave' request, but this needs to get fixed.

Regards,

Michael "The Reason People come to BigSoccer" Segroves

nobius and GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  12. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The old software was vBulletin. I think we were were using version 3.x. There was a version 4.0 apparently. The new software is XenForo, otherwise hereafter known as FaceBookLite. Though you should have seen it late last night when the site was first back up and running.

13. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Let's get all the threads transfered over, please... I wake up this morning after sleeping 8 hours and it's like nothing missing last night was added... Let's get that going now...!

14. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Repeat after me: we will make a new awesome My BigSoccer. I promise.

Viscaelbarca repped this.
  15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have decided I love the new bigsoccer.

16. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    It looks a million billion times better this morning than it did last night. Sincerest thanks.

The side forum tree was nice, I miss that too. I wish you could collapse forums on the main forums page. I don't care about, say, Equipment & Gear; I'll never care about Equipment & Gear. On vB I could make Equipment & Gear go away.

Also, it seems like all cards have been clean-slated. Actually, are there even infractions anymore? I worked really hard to get a dude red carded the other day and now the thread is gone and his red card is rescinded. That's bull crap!

No MyBigsoccer still sucks donkey balls. Watched Threads isn't the same at all, but maybe if you try Marking All Forums Read than it will only alert you when a recent thread updates? I don't really care about 5-year old threads, ya know?

Art Vandaley repped this.
  17. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    300k threads remaining to import.

18. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am still not able to "unstick" a thread. I am getting the same error.

19. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Can you also make the mods names green, supers red and mine fluorescent purple, like it was before?

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Is there a way to change the number of posts per page?

21. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just give me back the side forum tree on the left and ill be completely happy. Good job guys on the update

Golazo and (TxT) repped this.
  22. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just thought I'd chime in agreement on the side forum tree. I can see where the other approach makes some sense -- but I actually do occasionally want to visit other odd forums, so I'd rather see a full list than just limit myself to seeing the few I visit regularly.

All else, I'll wait and see how it goes as I use it more.

23. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hats off to all.

Can't believe it's up and running so soon. I'm sure there are kinks, bugs, etc. -- but saludos!

dark knight repped this.
  24. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    How do you view a list of watched threads that have no new posts since you last viewed it (i.e. "list subscriptions" from mybigsoccer)?

25. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Here's a glitch:

When I click on a thread from the watched forums page, it takes me to the last post in that thread. It should take me to the first unread post. As it is now, I first have to go to the end of the thread and then click the button to go to first unread.

Any time I click on a thread, the default should be to take me to the first unread post in it. Just like before the upgrade.

The new look this morning is much, much better than it was last night. Thanks for fixing that up.