User guide to the new forums

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    But it doesn't seem to do anything useful.

2. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... mybigsoccer... where is it?

Edit: Oh.

Um. No, it isn't.

3. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    It defaults to all forums but you should be able to edit your subscriptions the same as using vBulletin using the dropbox down the bottom.

There's no tickbox beside each forum, so it looks like editing your Watched Forums is turned off right now, but that screen is exactly like the Subscribed Forums section of old BigSoccer.

4. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There are many great updates here including the responsiveness of the site. However navigation has become more cumbersome. The quick nav feature is nice but it's a forum were content determines page height. It's not helpful to always have to scroll back up. This could be fixed by making the top navigation fixed so it scrolls down as you do, making everything instantly accessible.

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'll look again, but I saw nothing when I looked a few minutes ago.

Meanwhile, I just had my awesome first new and improved BigSoccer error message!
    Just like old times! Just like old times!

6. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    As a member from 2001, I'm well aware of the VB 2.x to 3.X switch. "Get used to it" means we accepted the change for the worse. I hated it as of last week. And now we are being asked to do it again, as happens when with all "upgrades". People "freak out" each time because they DONT LIKE IT.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I click on Watched Forums it lists every forum on BS, not the specific forums I clicked Watch Forum for.

8. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Are you going to post in every single 2012 Change thread?

9. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension
    I can deal with the horrible skin you have on here Huss but the one thing I cant deal with is how you have made it hard to navigate. One of the nice things about BigSoccer was the side nav bar on the left hand side that I could just quickly jump from forum to forum. You have quite literally taken the best thing about this forum (it is the only one that I am apart of that had this feature) and trashed it.

For shame Huss. For shame...

Also is you are implementing new things can you give us a skin of the old forum so we can choose that as an option? It really should not be that hard to implement.

AL#7 and VioletCrown repped this.
  10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    You know what, Caesar, I just checked again. The watched forums business is in no way a custom forum list. For you to suggest it is, is totally wrong.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So its exactly the same, but completely unusable (at least at the moment).

12. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Most likely. Its usually what I do every time BS "updates". I like to get my opinion out there that, as always, the change sucks.

13. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    It is, trust me. I have used it as such on several XenForo forums.

The only thing missing right now is a tickbox beside each watched forum so that you can edit the subscription. Currently it's just defaulting to everything.

14. bennyf118

bennyf118 Member

Jun 5, 2002
    MD
    Count me among the people who don't like the update. What I miss most is the left sidebar with the forums. The new arrow button shows every single forum, whereas the old format was customizable. I'm sorry, but I don't really care about the "Grouchy's (Un)Official Season Challenge" forum. Having every single forum shown makes it so much harder to scroll through and find the forum you really want. Plus it takes a while to load for me. Please fix these things.

It'd be great if you could change the "What's New?" to show a customizable number of threads. 5 just isn't enough. I can only imagine when we get the eBay spamming posts that used to plague the old BigSoccer Spy.

15. Huss2012

Huss2012 New Member

May 2, 2012

Its not done yet

16. Huss2012

Huss2012 New Member

May 2, 2012
    Funny. I agree. When it launched you all went ballistic about how much space it took up. Relax guys. It's not our first upgrade. We'll get there.

17. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    i keep being logged out...

every time i try to post in a thread it says " you must be logged in to do that "..even though i am logged in!! wtf??

- * i'm surprised this post went through lol ".

18. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I still hate that sidebar and was using the old theme to avoid it.

19. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Message received.

Any more, though, and I'll get to learn where the "ignore" feature is.

20. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, well see, I loved the sidebar. Probably my favorite feature of BS and about the only thing I'm missing in this update.

VioletCrown repped this.
  21. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension
    So if you are going to update it again are you going to make the forums change the skin to something close to the old forums? I ask because this is truly woeful. And I am not being angry about the change. I am being angry about the fact that you launched something that clearly was not ready for prime time.

22. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Good for you Val.

23. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Happens every time

24. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The quick navigation button is not quick. Am I using it incorrectly?

25. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is reputation gone in favor of likes? Is my warning gone? ;-)

Please make a theme that isn't horrible as soon as you can. Thanks.