USA will win world cup when kids are playing soccer on the street not baseball

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by aquablue, Jul 5, 2014.

1. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 17, 2014
    NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didn't espn do a recent poll that asked kids which they prefer watching in the summer MLS or MLB and it was a dead 50/50 draw? that's not a bad start, i bet 10 years ago it wouldn't have even been close

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So many fallacies in this post.

It never ceases to amaze me how many Americans don't understand how important physical athleticism is in developing technique and more importantly executing technical skill. Maybe it's because the big three sports have conditioned us to simplify our understanding of athleticism to more or less specifically some combination of speed, strength, quickness, and jumping ability, I don't know.

Saying the only important physical attribute in soccer is stamina, or that being good at soccer has nothing to do with athleticism, even in the looses imaginable sense is asinine and honestly shows a lack of understanding of the physical nuances of the game.

Balance, coordination, agility, space-time differentiation, are crucial in being able to successfully develop technique. Repetition, physical stage of development, and instruction all being equal, it is 1000 times easier for an athlete like say, Allen Iverson, to develop technical skills than it is for the average kid in an American DA.

True that decision making, problem solving, vision, creativity, flair etc are another part of the equation but the importance of athleticism can't be overstated enough when analyzing what it takes to be a top player.

Being good at soccer has as much to do with athleticism as any other American sport just not the type of physical attributes that can be measured in a 40-time or vertical.

Chris Zito repped this.
  4. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quoting myself... it seems I picked the wrong national team as an example for height.

Lets look at Germany's team instead:D. Germany's population isn't as large as Brazils, 82 million to 200 million respectively. The average height of the German National Team is 6' 1". Again, I am sure Germany could find taller soccer players in their country, but they just aren't as successful as the guys that are 6'2" or shorter (The tallest guys on Germany's squad are 6'3", one is a goalie and the other is a defender). There are no other German field players in the entire Bundesliga that are taller then 6'3". I wonder why this is?:rolleyes:

5. Taco10

Taco10 Member

May 23, 2014
    I saw a kid playing playing baseball with his dad today. I thought about this thread while driving by in my Kia and decided to stop. I sent my wife out of the car and she took their baseball and gave them a soccer ball. She told them in her country the soccer ball is called a football. She then got back in our sweet Kia and we drove off.

Master O, nancyb, Ictar and 2 others repped this.
  6. 108thLegendary

108thLegendary Member+

Apr 8, 2006
    When best American athletes start playing football and not eggball you mean? jk

futbol is spanish for fussball or football

when Americans start calling "soccer" by the real name then maybe things change :D

7. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baseball has seen a huge drop off in major urban areas. Kids will play pickup basketball or American football. Can't make a lot of money playing soccer in America. MLS doesn't have the capability to provide that right now.

8. sweethome_bama

Jul 21, 2013
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Black kids aren't playing baseball anymore. There aren't many black American players in MLB either.

9. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the exact reason MLS is paying big money to bring guys like Dempsey and Bradley back to the states. These guys are the poster child(s) of you can make money playing soccer.

10. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. But both players made names for themselves in Europe.

11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sent your wife to take someone else's baseball while you sat on your ass and watched?

12. Taco10

Taco10 Member

May 23, 2014
    Yep. It's hot outside.

13. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Dude, you picked perhaps the wealthiest, whitest place in the country, as your example.. Its like the real world "caddyshack." ;)

I agree with your post though to a certain extent... Although I did remember about a school in NYC(might have been Brooklyn) that was very good at soccer, and predominantly black.. And they were trouncing everyone they played from what I remember.. I think while what you say is true, the poor coaching setup (valuing strength, speed, more developed kids vs teaching skills ) is the biggest issue. I remember reading on another threa Belgium has their 7 year olds playing 2V2, then 3v3, 4v4 as they get older and don't even play 11v11 until early teens. That's what the whole "street soccer" thing is, its small sided games that allow for flair...

14. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2014-7-8_22-0-25.jpeg
    LZ that is a funny story.

15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a minute, I'm going to have to call you on this, Hummels is 6'4 for that matter so is Brooks. I'm sure there is more.

Footsatt and Taco10 repped this.
  16. Majin

Majin Member+

Arsenal
    Mexico
    May 7, 2013
    Zacatecas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i agree if only this guy took up sawker. i think usa would win
    messi would have no chance
    [​IMG]

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  17. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Incorrect.

Taco10 repped this.
  18. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could be Brazil, where everyone plays pickup soccer. Then we'd only lose to Germany by 6... and a home no less. Winning in the World Cup against elite teams isn't easy.

nancyb repped this.
  19. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Don't most clubs do it this way these days? In competitive soccer in South Texas it's not 11 v 11 until U-13 (North Texas they start at U-12).

20. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Baseball has been having the same problem Soccer has had where these expensive travel teams end up pricig a lot of kids out of the game.

21. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I misread the article I quoted. There are no players over 6' 4'.

...and I image there are not that many.

22. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    To be honest I am not sure, but I was under the impression they did not, just from hearing others write/talk about it over the years.... I know when I played when I was very young, it was not like that..

23. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    "I'm trying to be the best at real sports - not seeing who's better at exercising and shit."

Eleven Bravo and Majin repped this.
  24. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Found the answer...

All state associations mandate or recommend SSG's. They differ in the ages/ sizes though and some clubs or leagues don't follow their respective states' recommendations to the letter. I believe that pretty much all clubs do SSG's in some manner.

http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/assets/1/15/NationalSmallSidedGamesUpdate.pdf

25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In southern Ca. AYSO plays full field at the age of 8 with a ball size 4. By age 10 they graduate to ball size 5 and don't get good at it until around 12-13. Normally, if a kid shows talent he is recruited at the age of 9 for Club soccer, club soccer is broken down in to two seasons, league and cup (winter) and invitational weekend tournaments (summer).