Post-match: USA vs. Venezuela - June 9, 2019

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Jun 9, 2019.

1. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    When I'm head of BS, I will outlaw any discussion of Arena or Klinsy. NOBODY CARES.

We suck now, and it ain't due to them.

2. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only problem with having Bradley back is we would be stuck with MikeB for however long daddy's contract is. lol.

I think some of the problem are the kits...they are very amateurish, so maybe the guys are playing down to them. I have an older TV (not big screen) and from afar, the blue jersey numbers blended into the red, so if I didn't know the players by sight, I wouldn't know who was who. In this case, they were all equally bad, so it didn't matter.

There was absolutely nothing good about today's game. The announcers were so irritating, the players looked bad...and whatever happened to the US having great goal keepers?

UncagedGorilla and TOAzer repped this.
  3. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll buy that somewhat. However, I see there is easily enough talent around starting in 2018 that it should be in the rearview mirror now... We just keep shooting ourselves the foot time after time.

Bajoro repped this.
  4. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Exactly. There was the opportunity for change when Sunil "resigned". Instead of changing, we decided to double down on using USMNT to promote MLS. Lipstick on a pig, assuming it wouldn't happen again, as the collective talent was too good.

Whoops.

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But having someone to protect the back line would be HUGE. As I have said many times before, Trapp (and Bradley for that matter) do not have the wheels to help the backline. And the guy we have used as the hybrid right back (Lima, whose nominal job is to come into the middle and help the #6 at times) is an awful defender. So we are expecting the backline to be stronger with that as their cover?

Mind you, I am not saying that the CBs played well ... they have not. But I am long on record as saying that Miles Robinson and Cannon should have been here instead of 2 of the other MLSers that were brought in.

UncagedGorilla, Namdynamo, TxEx and 2 others repped this.
  6. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The back line shouldn't need protection to cover a $%#@king throw in...

russ, RalleeMonkey, FLSoccerGran and 4 others repped this.
  7. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    you need different approaches at different times and to hire a good coach always so I don’t get this criticism

8. LodiSoccerFan

LodiSoccerFan Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Lodi, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope by now GB knows that staking his job on Trapp is stupid. If he doesn’t get rid of him (as well as Zardes, Ream and most of the rest) he should be fired soon. Maybe have a game with his team and his system vs the U-20s and have the winner be proclaimed the USMNT.

Deadtigers repped this.
  9. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    mattyfire and Lloyd Heilbrunn repped this.
  10. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the absolutely wrong answer.

Running out a lineup like we saw today "isn't smart". A lineup with a winger (Arriola) who can't score, a CDM (Trapp) who can't do anything, a LB who provides no width (Ream), a striker who can't hold up play (Zardes), and a GK who's told to take risks passing out of his box (Steffen), isn't smart.

Borrachin and FLSoccerGran repped this.
  11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sure they can but most of the required words get censored by this board's software.

12. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
  13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Dude, not cutting him based on prior performance was malpractice. Letting it get to Jamaica was bull. Gives up the Jamaica winner and starts today? Pffttt. If you are that slow on the uptake, you can’t run this team.

It’s probably a “favorites” thing but the deal is that’s his excuse. Not an objective reason. Objectively shouldn’t have been in camp.

At a certain point it’s not applaud the obvious but fire him for taking half a year to maybe catch it next time.

14. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Alvarado has matured as a player over the last 4 years (remember, he was called up at age 22!). He was good for Necaxa this season and even captained them for a bit. I'm not sure I'd agree that he's ready for a Gold Cup callup, but if we're turning over all the rocks we possibly can to find LBs and wingers, then why not give him another shot? 3.5 years is a long time, especially for a centerback.

Deadtigers, Bajoro, xbhaskarx and 8 others repped this.
  15. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Someone said (I don't follow Mex league) that Alvarado was much better than Gonzo this year...so....

Deadtigers and gunnerfan7 repped this.
  16. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deadtigers and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. That was atrocious.

largegarlic repped this.
  18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now he will simply tether it to Bradley instead. Will you be happy with that? Someone else wrote it already ... the narrative on the #6 position has been laughable.

Deadtigers, UncagedGorilla, DHC1 and 2 others repped this.
  19. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Klinsmann didn’t have much of a CV before our team. Those guys do. Klinsmann got praise for taking 4th at home with Germany and getting fired by Bayern. Comparing that to Peak Arsenal or what Blanc has done is rubbish.

At least one reason I want an outside coach is we have objective selection issues. I want someone not knee deep in the bias debate.

russ, LodiSoccerFan, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  20. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    That was Venezuela's largest away win since May of 2010 when they beat Aruba 3-0

21. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there are many decent coaches who would want this job. It would have to be someone who will go back to a 442 or 451. No fancy ideas. Just basics and get everyone on board knowing what to do.

RedBaron repped this.
  22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    He was also better than Gonzo in 2015.

23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I left it intentionally vague. ;)

24. FormerNo10

FormerNo10 Member

Juventus
    United States
    Dec 13, 2018
    Sure seems like every CB that has played in this new, awesome system has looked shaky to disastrous. Out of the blue they collectively look like they have never played defense before.

Steffon is NOT the undisputed #1 GK
    Altidore is NOT the undisputed #1 striker
    Bradley and Trapp have ZERO defensive bite and are unable to offer ANY protection to the backline

Here is what I have learned so far watching GB-ball:
    * As a former CB he has no clue how to build a solid backline
    * At this point in time I only see 5 players (excluding CB's) who we can actually start building the team with; Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Holmes and Boyd

All other positions need real open and honest competition until this team shows us something different. I do not care if your're currently starting for Pachuco's B team, I want open competition. (Holdan's comments are insulting to Adams and the fans). Comp for Zardes, Arriola, Roldan, etc. Adams is the #6, so stop f'ing around.

Unfortunately, the March friendlies, the June friendlies and the Gold Cup have been wasted by a coach way over his head and sinking fast.

25. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I hated watching Sarachan's teams, but at least he had a solid back-line that were capable of pulling out draws against quality opponents... no fancy ideas, practically unwatchable in terms of entertainment, but at least we could get results.

russ, Dander and neems repped this.