Post-match: USA vs. T&T - June 22, 2019 - Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Trinidad’s defending was abysmal. That being said, we took advantage of it so that’s a step in the right direction.

Deadtigers, neems, 2in10 and 7 others repped this.
  2. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    That would've fit inside of Mapfre, looked awesome, and added another redemption plotline to the night. I guess they announce venues before draws and gotta plan for wherever El Tri lands.

3. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    There is definitely a question about that. We have other players at the position that have not been tested. If you think Bradley is undoubtedly better there then those players, that’s fine. But it’s not an objective truth.

4. KUSA77

KUSA77 Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite part of the game was the Zardes special...hit the post, miss place a header, and blast one over the goal all within 20 seconds

5. ClappinJonny99

Borussia Dortmund, Liverpool, DC United
    United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    Well said

lmorin, Dirt McGirt and TarHeels17 repped this.
  6. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll have to rewatch the game on tv since there’s a few of you who actually thought WM looked good. From the stands, he looked pretty terrible until the last 15-20 minutes where he bumped up to avg.

Most of the people with me thought he and Lima were the worst on the field tonight.

Boyd, Pulisic, Long, Zimmerman and Arriolla (despite his finishing) were the best out there. Those CB’s are fun to watch push forward. Very aggressive.

Winoman repped this.
  7. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Only thing that concerned me was Jozy. He looked really slow, and every touch seemed off. He looked hurt. And if he wasn't hurt, then he looked disinterested and disconnected from the team. Please tell me he's not starting against Panama.

adi21 and tomásbernal repped this.
  8. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'll take fun to watch, but you just have to couch so much of the last few games. Guyana were -- understandably, relevant to their resources -- awful. Trinidad & Tobago were actually disgraceful tonight. I was shocked. This was more like circa 2009 T&T.

USMNT has really yet to face any test whatsoever.

russ, Deep Wilcox and Marius Tresor repped this.
  9. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Recommended viewing. Compared to his usual trained interviews it's quite different. He looks like he has a little fire under him right now. Rest of the tournament should be fun for Pulisic viewing.

10. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But in the 2nd half it really wasn't his system, at least as he had described it in the press and as what was seen at Columbus. This was a more flowing play, that seemed to allow Pulisic and Zardes individual variation off of a 4-1-4-1.
    Or maybe this game was less about system and more about players beginning to show their understanding of each other's movement. The caveat is that this opponent was too easy to be considered as a test [as I pointed out in another thread, at least 6 of TnT's starters play with USL]. But that's ok. We needed this, and if they were willing to offer it we are willing to take it. We'll know much more when we get out of the group round and face "do or die" situations.
    As a side note. Pulisic is the player we've needed since Landon left...someone who knows how to make the team as a whole better. Also, Boyd is just a gift. Adds an extra dimension of danger to our attack, and an extra element of uncertainty to opposing defenses.

2in10, Mr Martin and Marius Tresor repped this.
  11. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was waiting for someone to say that. Yet, he got three chances in 20 seconds and was very unlucky not to score on two of them thanks to the post and a very good save by the keeper (one of several he made - props to him).

Footsatt, ifsteve, 2in10 and 7 others repped this.
  12. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Queue derailment in 3-2-1...

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Both Panama and US have qualified so there's nothing to play for, really.

14. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Office Space keeps to his space in the office, then there's hope for no derailment. It's not as if BS can keep operating as if it is the Boston T......;)

SteelyTom and UncagedGorilla repped this.
  15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been a full two minutes and no derailment yet.

lmorin repped this.
  16. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it matter to us who we play in the quarterfinals?

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This result is going to be psychologically great for Puli, too.

TOAzer repped this.
  18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    The winner doesn't play Jamaica which is by far the best team in group C.

Deadtigers and Guinho repped this.
  19. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Member

Jun 18, 2002
    ATX
    Fun! Lots of great play. TNT...oh boy

Deep Wilcox, USA-Zebuel and TOAzer repped this.
  20. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Guess that was really a feel good win!

TOAzer repped this.
  21. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome back, StormTrooper.

USA-Zebuel repped this.
  22. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Much more impressive than the game against Guyana. The second half showed some real promise. Even a couple skillful plays from Zardes. One of Pulisic's best games for the US in some time and some of his best passing with the US in general. When he's on, CUNCACAF will struggle to deal with him. It was really good to see McKennie out there and make it unscathed.

Deadtigers, juveeer and DHC1 repped this.
  23. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McKennie is the real deal. He is so f'ing good. I can't wait to see Adams in there too.

I think we have a ton of depth defensively. But these kids at midfield are unreal.

24. ClappinJonny99

Borussia Dortmund, Liverpool, DC United
    United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    The more I watch those two play for club and country the more convinced I am that they are the two most important USMNT players going forward. Don’t get me wrong Pulisic is the most skilled and flashy that we have ever had, but I am yet to be convinced of his consistency, especially when watching him at Dortmund. He’s very hot and cold. Whereas Mckennie and Adams are very consistent. I think it’s only a matter of time before they get scooped up by top European clubs. I think Weston would do great in the Premier large with his size, physicality, and intelligence.

FormerNo10 and DHC1 repped this.
  25. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When he's on, he's gonna be spending a lot of time on the ground since referees do not call fouls in Concacaf.