Pre-match: USA vs Portugal; November 14th, 2017

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Oct 16, 2017.

1. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this game considered the beginning of our 2022 cycle? Or still part of 2018's?

2. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These games, from now until the WC starts, are considered our path of punishment and humiliation for our failures. For the next 9 months or so we will serve as the Washington Generals to all those happy Globetrotting teams that are going to go to the Big Show. Doesn't matter if we win, or not; they will leave the field as winners while are reminded that losers get nothing. I suppose the only genuine consolation lies with this. They will have to then go to the Russian front, while we get slink to bars and watch them enjoy beautiful, cosmopolitan, Irkutsk....;)

russ and Skandal!!! repped this.
  3. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Irkutsk is too nice. Send 'em to Yakutsk or Kamchatka.

FirstStar and TOAzer repped this.
  4. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We might not get any meaningful friendlies against Europeans in the future, as they will be starting the Nations League.

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both those places are pretty nice. Big tourist destinations. No no, Norilsk is what you want. The only city in the world that is so polluted it kills every living organism for 30 km in all directions including sterilizing an entire river.

russ, Winoman and TOAzer repped this.
  6. Hawkfan_08

Hawkfan_08 Member

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Can we make that official. Instead of the send off games these are all the path of punishment games. Or the I hate life games.

I honestly don't know if I can stomach a game with the old players. I'm still too mad. Doesn't help the Cheifs just lost now too.

7. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    1. that IS exactly what an outlier is
    2. well... *shrugs*
    3. he's been the best player at literally every level hes been at. to suggest otherwise, is a bit silly.

Namdynamo and juveeer repped this.
  8. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Not sure where to put this but are there any rumors of a second match?

9. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think about a week or so ago there were rumors of a match against Slovakia (https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/nov-14-slovakia-vs-usa.2073366/), but ever since all the reporting has been that Portugal will be our only friendly during the November window.

HScoach13 repped this.
  10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was reported expressly that this would be the only match of the camp, to the dismay of many.

I think they either should have had no games to recover from the hangover or 2 to start the rebuild. 1 is mostly just going to be a quick reminder of the failure.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We've always given Portugal a headache, they suffer against physical teams. It made sense for them wanting to prepare for the World Cup facing us, back when everybody was thinking we'd make it.

Now, though, we're likely to play an experimental squad. They won't be happy about it.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #162 Excellency, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Well, it seems to me they might look at it as an opportunity to ask Tab to field players for certain purposes since we don't really have any aim here other than starting at square one of a whole new roster for 2022 - of course with 2019 2020 in mind as well but it's not like that's near future in soccer terms.

They might have a winger they would like to test against somebody like Yedlin, e.g. or maybe a fullback they want to see against Pulisic, etc.

Also, if Tab has evolved to vertebrate status since Arena's departure, maybe he would let them have a look at somebody they could consider for Portuguese league. (Or are we still in "we stink don't pay them anything" mode? That didn't work out too well. )

How about starting Hamid and EPB (if ManCity see it as plus). It's not like we have anybody decidedly better than those anyway so nobody is being cheated of seeing our best.

We'll know nothing's changed if Kellyn Acosta is out there.

13. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 4-2-3-1 with only yanks abroad: Horvath, Yedlin, Miazga, Cameron, Lichaj (scored a goal today), Williams (played 90 in HT's win over ManU today), McKennie, Chandler, Pulisic, Fabian (scored a goal today), Wood. Subs: Wright, Ream, Johannsson, Gooch,?,?. Might give Portugal a decent game despite Tab Ramos as interim coach.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Scratch Chandler, he's out with a no-contact knee injury and unlikely to be back soon enough, I'd say.

http://www.espnfc.com/eintracht-fra...handler-injures-knee-with-eintracht-frankfurt

15. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #165 Cynical US fan, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Gooch can play that outside mid position then? Scored a goal a few weeks ago.
    That thins out the subs: Green didn't dress for Furth today. Who else is there really? MLS players on teams that have been eliminated from playoffs? Gonzalez from the Mexican league?

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Couldn't agree more. Obviously thanks for everything he has done in the past. Say what you want he always showed up at the boarding gate thru rain, sleet, snow, like they say.

Mike's choice of playing with Nagbe and Acosta/Arriola in midfield was ill advised. He showed no command. He knew what the problems were and skated.

Hwvr, irrespective of various opinions, the results speak for themselves and broach no argument. Bradley, you're fired.

Editor In Chimp and yurch10 repped this.
  17. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Does anyone else get really depressed when they start thinking about this game?

"Oh Gawd, a meaningless friendly to start our road to sitting on the couch next summer."

I admit, it makes me incredibly pessimistic when I start looking at the roster projections. "Who cares - it'll be the same rejects that lost it in Trinidad" - that thought keeps bouncing in my head.

I'm half-expecting to see "Headline: Bruce Arena hired as interim manager for Portugal friendly".

18. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Meh, it should be Euro heavy since MLS can't be arsed to make their games legitimate by stopping play during intl breaks.

I don't really care until we get our real manager. Hopefully that won't happen until after the Jan USSF election.

This whole thing is weird to me since USWNT WWC win really hooked me into football. I started watching the men more closely and then following players teams, etc. you guys know the pattern, and now I can't be all that arsed about intl footie.

I find intl play is often deleterious to a players club performance, which is fine if there is some point to the intl side of things. Despite the result in COPA, and securing the half berth for confeds cup, the football has been terrible. As in consistently less than the sum of its parts

19. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    MLS isn't playing during this window. Playoffs on Nov. 5 and Nov. 21, with this game on Nov. 14.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  20. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    my bad, Euro snobbery got the best of me!

TheFalseNine repped this.
  21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should still be young euro heavy. Call in the players you want to take a look at that won't be called in January.

22. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't be arsed about int'l football because the MNT is so terrible. The WNT wins World Cups without even breaking a sweat.

Look at how backward the MNT is. Every level is just a cluster********. The people running it are delusional and out of touch with reality. At this rate, the only thing the MNT will be doing is watching all future world cups from home (including Qatar and beyond).

Everyone here should remember that men's soccer in this country can very quickly become irrelevant if the USSF does not turn the ship around and fast.

Personally speaking, when it comes to the MNT, I'm beyond depression. I've lost all faith and confidence in this federation. They are a joke. A sad, sad joke.

And the joke ... is on us, the fan base.

y-lee-coyote and TheFalseNine repped this.
  23. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Nike needs to design a new Sack Cloth and Ashes uni for the USMNT for their Punishment Tour.

jnielsen, OGx3, ChrisSSBB and 1 other person repped this.
  24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't call Pulisic.

Keep him away from this mess. Let him get back on track with BVB.

25. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

And here is our star forward ready to poach by the goal.

juveeer and skim172 repped this.