Pre-match: USA vs Portugal; November 14th, 2017

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Oct 16, 2017.

1. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    What is Green doing these days? He's still bound to have some skill.

2. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is still owned by VfB Stuttgart, but is on loan to SpVgg Greuther Fürth. Here's a link to his most recent work. Start at this point and read forward. It's only 1.5 pages:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/a-different-shade-of-green-julian-at-stuttgart-on-loan-to-spvgg-greuther-fürth.2024223/page-98#post-35851709

I think it's encouraging that he has been starting and playing 90 for several weeks, but he did miss the most recent match, due to illness, I think.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting regularly for one of the worst teams in Bundesliga 2.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's not encouraging is that he entire team has scored 7 goals and he's not been apart of any of them.

5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, Whoscored gives him a 6.41 rating, which is terrible for a starter in general, and he's 16th rated so far on his terrible team.

I've tuned in to a couple games and he's pretty useless without the ball. With the ball he needs to receive it high up to do damage. Then he can, but he has some tunnel vision.

He's playing a-mid. I don't think he can ever realistically have utility for us there unless we're playing a team whose bunker we just need to bust. Otherwise, Ancelloti said it was striker or bust for Green, and that may be true.

Mr Martin and Real Corona repped this.
  6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You should think about applying for the Presidency of US Soccer Federation

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Have you watched him play in the last few years or are you just going off of 3 games you watched two years ago?

9. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Don't misunderstand - if given the choice, I'd bench Bradley and take his captaincy. My post was meant to predict what the USSF would do - and I don't think they'll have the guts to commit to any major changes, as desperately needed as they are, until after the election and after a permanent manager has been named.

They'll make changes - but nothing that they can't provide some pretext for why it's not necessarily indicative of the MNT's future plans.

10. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    OMG.

Another sign of the Apocalypse. I actually agree with Doyle on almost all of his article!:eek:

Mr Martin repped this.
  11. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006

sXeWesley repped this.
  12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I assume you are referring to Ramirez who has more non penalty goals than any other American in MLS and that is in spite of missing a rash of games recently due to injury when MInnesota was actually improving after acquiring Finlay.

but you want to gauge Haji Wright by recent performance. OK

That's after having been dealt by Schalke who didn't want him.

I had to go thru this inquisition (just kdding:() over Green, K.Acosta, Zelalem and some others I wont mention.

I never understood why any of them were given the royal treatment when their games were so severely limited for different reasons.

The answer to your question is no I haven't seen him play. I just read the news and quietly note that nothing has changed.

Edit: b.t.w., the marketing around here is bizarre. When people in Portugal want to know what they are buying tickets for we can tell them Haji Wright who has done - exactly nothing? How about the leading American scorer in MLS?

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Being the best player does not make him an outlier.

There was actually tons of debate throughout the cycle whether Pulisic or Wright was better, and it wasn't because of anything other than their play and skill-sets, so unless everyone who was part of those debates is an idiot, Pulisic has never been an outlier. He's very good, but making it seem that way would be an incorrect assessment, IMO. Pulisic has an EU passport, something McKennie, Adams, Carleton, Wright, Sargent, Palmer-Brown, etc. do not have. He was able to go into a European system at a young enough age group that he wouldn't fall behind those at his club, if he was on the highest level development track, which is why I believe he has broken through so far, and these others haven't yet or are just starting to.

A guy like McKennie didn't even get a full year of U-19 ball with Schalke. Most players in that age group are supposed to get a full two years, McKennie couldn't even join at the beginning of the second season because he wasn't yet 18. Less than 9 months after joining, McKennie was playing for the first team, which just shows what I mean. These other guys are really good, but Pulisic got a big head start. Thats not anything against Pulisic, I just think we gotta let these other kids get a few years to establish themselves before we crown Pulisic as undisputedly an outlier.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I am referring to Wright. You didn't like his play two years ago at the U-17 WC.

Since then, you've campaigned against him, even though most people who followed that team said he was always one of the best prospects on that team, three games wasn't indicative of his talent, and since then he's had a lot of success, which you seemingly are ignoring because of three youth games you watched two years ago.

Ramirez is 7 years older. Is he better than Wright currently? Probably is, but if he's not, thats not a good sign for Ramirez.

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question shouldn't be who is better now but who will be better the next time it matters. That could be in another Copa performance in a couple years or WC in five years or WCQ in three ? years. There will be bridge players and many getting tryouts but very few players who will be 30 + will be needed in 2022 and playing them anymore except for a few for continuity is part of the same thinking that lead down the cliff the team is on now.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green was loaned out by Stuttgart.

17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    We don't lack gutless players.

18. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That is not true, they did not "deal" him, they sent him on loan. That can go either way, it is not like Schalke is Chelsea. Outside of RB and Bayern the BL teams play by FFP. They cannot afford to have a bunch players out on loan if they are having to pay them.

19. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    BS.

I am quite familiar with Haji and others on that team. I saw them in person quite frequently down here in Bradenton. I like that bunch a lot.

But comparing Puli to them is unfair - to them. Pulisic was 15 when he made his debut with that group while the rest were about to max out at 17 so they are the ones that had the "head start".

When I saw him play with that team against Brasil, he was the best player on the field with all that group - and all of Brasil's team also.

At 15.

And it was evident after 5 minutes.

That makes him an outlier, particularly for USS.

russ repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not even following what you are saying. You said Pulisic was an outlier, I said he's not. Saying he's not an outlier does not mean he won't be our best NT player when all these players are in their prime, it just means that the program won't be Pulisic+the rest, which is similar to what it is now. Unless you are predicting all these guys we talk about now become no better than Bradley, Altidore, Besler, Cameron, etc, how would he be an outlier? Are you saying he's the next Messi? Thats the only other thing I could think of him for him to be an outlier.

21. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green is not a Schalke player, he is a Stuttgart player and he needs consistent matches which is why he is out on loan to BL2.

22. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It appeared to me he was talking about Haji not Julian, when he said dealt by Schalke.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wright and Green:sleep::sleep:

The more I read about the opinions on what is wrong with US Soccer, the more it seems to me that we should give Tab Ramos a contract as manager without the interim tag, just as long as it has a good buy out clause after 2 years. Apparently he doesn't like the 'interim" tag.

We are really looking at period where we will be concentrating on youth which is the area Tab is familiar with. Let him have the period thru the Gold Cup 2019.

This will also allow the discussion to proceed on the other changes necessary in US Soccer

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's definitely a striker, but I've revised his ceiling and I don't think any longer he can be a decent mid-table BuLi player. At 22, he's not even looking average in the 2.BuLi. So that level is probably his ceiling.

25. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may be fimilar with it but he's been bad at it too. What's he done at the youth level? A regional title in 6 years. Missing out on major tournament after tournament. Yea let's hire that guy. He and Gulati should be getting axed with Arena.