Pre-match: USA vs Portugal; November 14th, 2017

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Oct 16, 2017.

1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the first point, while your right it is important it also raises their profile which the club will like. I'd also wager they'd much rather lose them during this break than have them called for a January camp.

To the second point, yes they will prob review their spending as the WC was a hugely profitable event for them. However, their going to be fine as long as we have another copa event in the US. They made stupid money and will continue to make stupid money on that event.

2. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr Martin and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A week away from the club is not going to put a halt to their careers.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't pick any players who's MLS teams are looking to make a run in the playoffs

COMtnGuy and KicksNgiggles repped this.
  5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it would cost US soccer much. Generally if you play away games you split a small percentage of the profits but you don't carry he hosting cost.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having a single game on FIFA dates cuts out any Mexican player (JG) that we may call.

7. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I think the long timeline before the next World Cup can be looked at in multiple ways. On one hand, sure, few meaningful games for a while and we can get the kids on the field sooner, win or lose. Or, you can say that we're in no rush and let the kids establish themselves with their clubs, get some experience playing against grown men and then call them in.

Ultimately, I'd see things on a case-by-case basis, depending on both the player and the need in that position. But, I'd be more inclined to get guys like Miazga, Carter-Vickers, McKennie and those that are actually getting playing time and fill around them with a few older guys that haven't embarrassed themselves too badly like Cameron, Wood (who I'm giving a break even though he was poor). The difference between playing kids and playing men is too often ignored around here when in the real world the difference is massive.

If the U17 kids are clearly better than the older players already getting minutes, they'll start seeing the field easily within the next couple years, plenty of time to work them into the fold.

largegarlic and Mr Martin repped this.
  8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there will be a near rebellion if at least some combo of guys like Miazga, McKennie etc aren't called up.

9. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Yeah, I haven't seen an article out there yet that doesn't include mostly young guys and gets rid of most of the old guard. But, after the old guard failed so spectacularly, it's a really hard argument to keep throwing them there.

10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Not automatic that Bradley, Altidore and/or Morrow would leave Toronto FC due to MLS Playoffs.

By the tone of this forum, doesn't seem like most fans would miss them anyways lol

11. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    You don't have to take the armband from Bradley yet, just don't call him in. I doubt we see any MLS guys whose teams are still alive in the playoffs for this one, so barring a major upset in the early rounds that rules out Bradley (and Altidore) anyway.

12. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Eh, maybe. Could also be that a homecoming got his state of mind rejuvenated. Although I do tend to think that MLS is of roughly equal quality to the second divisions of the major European leagues, including BL2.

13. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Got nothing against Morrow but he's already 30, he's not going to be a factor in the next cycle. That said we shouldn't call in guys who are still alive in the MLS playoffs. That said, if I were the coach, I would name a full roster ignoring all that and then release whichever MLS guys make the semis (as the results won't be known until a day or two before the break).

Mr Martin and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    28 and younger is my cutoff (except for GK). We need to build towards a team that can be competitive for the summer of 2019. GC, WCQ, & the Copa all will be or start in 2019.

Most the roster should be younger then 28, but I am okay with 4 or 5 that around this age.

15. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Hmm, that's a good idea. "The game is in Europe, and it's a friendly, and we don't want to deprive MLS playoff teams of their awesome star players," and you've got your excuse why you're not calling up those losers.

It would mean they can't call up Dempsey, though - and I bet the USSF really wish they could have him score that record goal next month in order to briefly distract the fans away from all the failure.

They could go whole hog and say "This is just a friendly, so we're not calling up the regular starters for this one" and then just bring in all those youth players. Maybe make an exception for Pulisic, since no doubt they're busy planning their Puli-centric advertising campaign for the next four years.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean there's going to be major turnover obviously. A new coach will have new favorite players and much of the 25 and over pool is just not very good. But we'll still be calling in a handful of veteran guys to help the new players adjust.

Mr Martin, COMtnGuy and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

CCV is a good man. Definitely should play if he wants the call up.( I don't know what his club situation is.) He has paired with Miazga at U20's and with Glad and EPB at U 20's.

I agree on Gonzalez and KcKennie. I believe Tab Ramos is familiar with both. Trapp has international experience and putting him up against Portugal would give us a yardstick going forward - we will know if Crew make final four in time by Nov 5. If Williams is fully match fit I would call him.

I'd call EPB if ManCity and EPB want it. Don't know where he stands officially with his club.

I wouldn't call Green because it would show we aren't serious for future friendlies and he'll make everybody else look bad.

Sargent needs to wrap up U17's and get signed with Bremen. He looks really good, ,b.t.w. I watched all his games in India. I bet he gets minutes with Bremen before the last game of the season, barring a relegation fight.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    MLS made the concession of scheduling a break from Nov 5 to Nov 21.

USSF should make the concession of not calling up players in the final 4 who will be determined by Nov 5.

Which fits pretty well with the agenda anyway, because we basically want to start working our way through the pool systematically but with a fine tooth comb, imo.

It will be interesting to see if Tab gives in to MLS marketing or plants the standard of a new morality in the USSF.

juveeer and TheFalseNine repped this.
  19. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not get why all of this Mr. nice guy stuff. Sit MB down and tell him he did not play up to expectations, and hasn't for the last several years and will no longer captain the team. There...done.

jnielsen, Namdynamo, 70runner and 6 others repped this.
  20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes. Maybe Bradley will finally learn what a real Captain does. It's more than strutting around going hey, look at me, Captain America.

I admire Bradley's constancy when it comes to showing up for every minute of play but it would have been nice to see him use his extensive experience and supposed sturdy character to nix the choice of midfield that made him so ineffective. Now we are left wondering if he's a sell out or just plain dumb.

21. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Agreed on the point about the formation. For maybe just this game, I'd also consider a 4-5-1, because:

1. We don't have many Euro forward options, and I'll assume Altidore will still be in the playoffs. I'm fine calling up young guys like Wright or Novakovich and giving them a cameo appearance, but I'm not sure it does them any good to be thrown out there as starters. So, maybe Wood as the starting lone forward?

2. I'd really like to see some defensive solidity from the US. As much as we might rightfully complain about the general lethargy from the team in the games that mattered, they would still be in the WC if they had avoided making the stupidest of defensive blunders (not just vs. T&T, but in the Costa Rica and Honduras games as well).

Mr Martin and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramos begged and pleaded with Schalke to get McKennie for th u20 World Cup. He calls gonzalez regularly.

Carter vickers club situation is he's on loan to a team pushing for promotion and has started the last 5-6 games.

Palmer Brown's contract kicks in January 1 and he's expected to be loaned to PSV

COMtnGuy repped this.
  23. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #123 Eleven Bravo, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    -----------Wood-----Wright----
    -----------------Pulisic------------
    Acosta-McKennie-Gonzalez-Yedlin
    --------CCV--Miazga--Glad-----
    -----------------Horvath------------

Tactic: 352 or 532. Counter attacking.

Bench:
    Jes.Gonzalez
    Palmer-Brown (Glad)
    Roldan (McKennie or Gonzalez)
    Adams (McKennie or Gonzalez)
    Arriola (Wright)
    Gooch (Acosta)
    Sargent

Called in:
    1.Klinsmann (GK)....2. Steffen, 3. Hamid (injury, playoffs depending)
    1.Parker....2.Zimmermann/3.Redding (playoffs depending)
    Saief
    Rowe
    Scott
    Carleton (depending on playoffs)
    Weah

Add maybe:
    Hyndman
    Payne
    O'Neill
    Anton* (if he'll switch)
    Moore
    Green
    Johansson
    Siebatcheu (if he'll accept)

OGx3 and Mr Martin repped this.
  24. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    I'm 200% fine with that. I was responding to a post suggesting the old guard would be kept around for this game for marketing purposes

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now THAT would be the dumbest thing US soccer had ever done

jnielsen, russ, TxEx and 1 other person repped this.