Post-match: USA vs. Peru

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 16, 2018.

1. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't want to dismiss those guys, even Bradley. If they are the best option we have, so be it, keep them in the mix. You're the one dismissing a guy because they didn't kill it in one 90 minute sample.

What Roldan has done that's memorable is outplay these guys at club level in a 100 game sample over 3 years. That should warrant some chances.

2. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Such passion for Roldan. When is his contract up and what is he going to do then?

3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #428 juvechelsea, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Like I said before, I got my 30 minute window in garbage time as a freshman soccer player down 3-0 and we almost came back and the next week I started and that continued for the 3 years I played. Life is what you make of it. Marginals aren't handed the keys to the car on potential ahead of all other options. By definition you come in to sub roles or blown games. Do you change the game back around or is the moment too big for you? I recall Roldan looking like a nervous wreck when given his chance.

Roldan this year has played roughly as much as Pulisic, Polster, Nagbe, Morrow, Morris, Opara, Long, Guzan, Corona, Cannon, Bono. More time than Amon, Gooch, Novakovich, Olosunde, Parks, Picault, Rowe, Sapong. On average he this year gets 20 minutes an outing.

I understand the sample size argument but I also understand we aren't running a statistics project but rather a soccer team, and you usually have to earn increased time. Even someone who has sometimes played well -- and still contributes assists -- like Robinson, is subject to backsliding out if they don't play well.

To me part of the USMNT problem is at many positions we don't expect Pulisic or Steffen world class excellence each time, but rather it's like some pecking order seniority deal or I can't explain on NT performance why x is ahead of y. I want to get back to this being a team decided by who stands out. Roldan has not made an argument on any of this, hasn't played so well he cannot be denied, hasn't outplayed y, z, and c players to take their job away. It's not a xmas gift you just get handed, sheesh. Be the best DM out there and it's yours. QED.

4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was the best American in MLS this year, and arguably has been the last 3 years. Next year his contract is up, and he'll do more if he's actually going to get a shot with the national team. Then he'd have a conduit to a solid league in Europe. They don't care much about MLS sample and have rules impeding foreigners. Otherwise his opportunity would be in Denmark, the 2. Bundesliga, or somewhere of that ilk. Probably would just re-sign with Seattle where he is beloved, their home games have feels of major events, and he'll get paid decently. He's indicated in a perfect world he transfers. But he also said he wanted to be regularly starting for the nt this year.

5. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    This delicious argument was just used during the last cycle, leading to continued use of the "big guns", winning the illustrious Gold Cup championship, and missing the less important World Cup.

No, he didn't prove himself in that 30 minute second half appearance against Nicaragua! Back to the same old!

No Thx.

chad repped this.
  6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Who is to say Roldan was not better than Tommy Thompson or Arriola when the latter two beat Roldan out for a spot on u20's. Juvechelsea would say that Tommy and Arriola really showed something in their 10 m of fame and thhf would say Tommy and Arriola were above the Ralston line and Roldan wasn't. But we don't really know why Roldan was excluded from the group unless we ask Tab, I guess.

thedukeofsoccer repped this.