USA vs. Panama 6-11-2011

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by aguimarães, Jun 8, 2011.

1. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    No need to panic?

The US has been largely pedestrian for the past two years and US fans somehow thought that team would turn on the switch when the Gold Cup started.

It's part of the problem with the rhetoric you hear from many US fans, that they're team is on the rise and other nonsense.

Did you honestly think that other teams would not improve, even in CONCACAF?

Panama and Canada were more successful in triangulations in the attacking third and were able to create danger with good movement inside the US penalty area while the US struggled to get their offense going with Altidore and Agudelo proving extremely ineffective in creating space and connecting while attacking.

If Donovan is off game, the US struggles, we all knew it....except most US fans apparently.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

Nope. No need to panic. That may be a part of the Mexican vocabulary when things go bad but not mine. I will be patient to see how things play out before I go bananas and hide under a rock.

Now if we lose or tie the next one then I will be weary but as of right now the timing of the loss could not have come at a better time. There is still one more Group match to kick things into gear and this team has time to recover...

3. Misterioso

Misterioso Member

Dec 10, 2005
    I don't think you understand how things work around here, so let me explain. Whenever USA loses a match it is because:

a) It was a friendly or tournament that they did not care about.
    b) They did not play with their A team (usually not even the B team).
    c) They played a world power or someone on their way to become one.
    d) FIFA (the refs) doesn't want them to become the No. 1 team in the world.
    e) The other team were dirty little divers, cheaters and time wasters (usually accompanied by third-world, poor or some racist slur).

*The longer posts or "deeper analysis" is usually a combination of the above.

4. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    WTF? Let me get this straight,the U.S. is hosting a fifa tourney in their back yard and loses to a team that's 40+ points lower than they are in the fifa rankings but there is no shame in that?

Typical U.S. fan :rolleyes:

5. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Thing is, we actually criticize our players and coaches when the situation calls for it and even when it doesn't.

The US has not shown any advancement over the past few years and this has nothing to do with the Panama game. There has been cause for concern for some time now whether you choose to admit it or not and a win against Guadaloupe isn't going to change that.

If I were you, I'd start worrying about Donovan not showing up and less about trying to take jabs at Mexico which is all you seem to care about lately.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    :D Take jabs at Mexico? Please they do it to themselves. IF not on the field, in the Doping aspects.... ....errr I mean bad meat aspects.

Time will tell if this USA team will fail but I am not sure they will just yet.

Worry about your team not losing cause if they do...

:p

7. EAB206BLUES

EAB206BLUES Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeeeah Buddy!

I am very proud of my countrymen winning last nite. I believe this is 5 straight Gold Cups now that we have made it out of the group stages. Slowly but surely we can be a player in CONCACAF maybe not ever be the best but we can def put on a fight! Viva Panama!!!

As for the US who I also root for. Ream is terrible and should not be starting I get he is young and his future is bright but man he has looked terrible with the Nats. This match should have ended 2-2 at the very least had Wondo not blown that opportunity maybe 3-2 If Bradley hits that prior to Wondo's chance but it could had easily ended 3-1 had Tejada for Panama made his chance count late in the first half I believe.

Spin it how you will but the US Nats are not were they should be and have been under performing for a bit now. Bob Bradley's future will def be sealed after this Gold Cup unless the Nats win which at this point looks like a long shot!

Anyways VIVA PANAMA!!!!! La Marea Roja!!!!

8. Caipirinho

Caipirinho Member

Sep 14, 2009
    cheltenham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    cheers, mysteryman XD

now i understand :)

sounds a lot like what we call "plastic fans"

9. iceberg602

iceberg602 Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Defender ranking fail

10. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    besides the exemption of D, the rest are quite common and are part of some fan's mentality but I wouldn't call any US fan plastic

11. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that is the case then you may just know really stupid people outside of the US. ;) Most people I know outside of the US call it America, while the people I know in the US mostly call it "U.S.'.

Honestly, the part that makes your 'crusade' funny is that you base it on the idea that a word can't have more than one meaning. While I think totally redoing how human languages work is a noble cause, it may be a lot easier in the long run to educate your audience.

12. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    send me a pm if you wanna continue discussing this.

13. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fIh4kM_aQE"]PANAMA 2 - USA 1 COPA DE ORO 2011 CONCACAF HQ[/ame]

14. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    My first time seeing Altidore live, and........lol. The USA is in DESPERATE need of strikers.
    Also a note for Uncle Sam's army......loved the energy, singing and enthusiasm. And I felt the atmosphere with the smoke and flares being thrown. But with that, you don't throw flares and smoke AT YOUR OWN KEEPER!!!!! Poor Timmy was over there coughing up his lungs....throw it at the opposing keeper. But hey they were trying. LoL.

15. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical Bradley, i don't care if i'm called a hater that man needs to be fired!

16. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    viva panama ************!!!

17. Jairzinho1970

Jairzinho1970 New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have two questions. What's the population of Panama? How big is their economy? They must pump billions into soccer. Or maybe they just love it. Hmmmmm. Hey but at least the US beat Spain. How long ago was that? I forget. 4-0 Spain seemed to be awake this last time. Or perhaps the US was asleep? Perhaps they studied tape on the US?

LMFAO at the great LD. Everton anyone?:D

18. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wtf are you talking about?

19. Jairzinho1970

Jairzinho1970 New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you don't know then don't worry about it. I'm mostly talking to Americans who think the US national team is getting better. You have no idea the crap they talk in the US.

They think Tim Howard is good LOL.:D

20. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm an American and I feel that you are full of it. Tim Howard is constantly ranked in the top keepers in England. US team is getting tons better, just because we hit a snag in the Gold Cup doesn't mean we are not a good squad. Hell England didn't even qualify for the last Euros.
    The problem is not the US team its our manager, and that can happen to any country in the world! Mexico was complete crap under Sven

21. Jairzinho1970

Jairzinho1970 New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    LMFAO Howard is ranked what in England? You must not read too many stats. He wasn't even the best American keeper last year, and he wouldn't have been again if Friedel didn't have an off year. Point to one year Howard finished better than Friedel. Just one.

Howard is a joke, and almost as funny as LD.;)

22. Jairzinho1970

Jairzinho1970 New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And it's NOT the managers. It's the system. The US has tons of talented players. I was one of them. What the US does not have is the system to develop them properly. The US has sucked no matter who the manager was. The fact that he is allowed to start his boy on the national team is the sign of a flaw in the system.

It's called politics and it ruins soccer in America.;)

23. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Mexico was crap because the Federation and coaching staff failed to rejuvenate the team after the 2006 World Cup which is exactly what's going on with the US team right now except for the fact that the young players are not stepping up just yet.

24. BigClos

BigClos Red Card

Jun 6, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Like I said, he's good but no top 10 or world class. Or else he will would of stayed at manchester if he was all that. now friedel, dude was a beast back In the day.

25. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    still is