Post-match: USA vs. Panama 01/27/2019 [R] - Post-match

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes, but anchor role the way that Berhalter's used it at Columbus, and the way he used it with both Bradley and Trapp in this camp is really more of a regista role than a "6."

Pragidealist repped this.
  2. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I certainly don't think of Adams as an anchor. Nor McKennie. Not sure what about my post made you think that.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'd prefer if McKennie and Adams had the freedom to go forward with the knowledge that there's a guy behind them to do cleanup.

That guy certainly is not Trapp. Can Bradley be a dependable DM doing the Dreads Job? I doubt it. So far everything is going fine, he'll be ok. Once things stop working, he'll lose his head.

Shame Canouse is not showing enough in training to even get minutes on the field.

Pragidealist and DHC1 repped this.
  4. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I think have two 8s and a 10 can work if your 8s have a symbiotic relationship. As a Ghanaian when I think back to our CM combo of Essien and Appiah, I think that level of understanding is possible as they just alternated the DM role based on the situation. But those guys had experience together on the youth level and trust from the coach to make those judgements. Mckennie and Adams have the ability to do it and then put them with an attacking 10.

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams is a 6/8 hybrid with right mid and right back skill thrown in. McKennie is a 6/8/10 hybrid that has hops that makes him dangerous in the box.

6. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    So maybe Both work in front of an anchor but you risk having 3 dmids with no on the ball creativity.

Who do you prefer on the ball - Mckennie or Pulisic?

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That might depend on opponent, whether home or away and who else is available at those positions.

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    How is it when you see a player have a 6/8 or 6/8/10, you move to players having no creativity? What happened to the 8/10 parts as you've now focused solely on the 6 aspect (e.g., 3 DMs)? The point of these two emerging players is that they can do it all and we don't have to adjust the set-up in order to address a definitive weakness like we do with WT/MB.

9. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Because I’ve never seen the creativity in those two players. I’ve seen hustle, pressure, winning battles, even decent in possession.

I haven’t been seen them create for others as a 10

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    I started that it might work. - you must jumped to where I said it might not. ;-)

11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    and to be clear, you see WT and MB with 10 style creativity?

12. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    No! Lol

I’m talking about the two roles in front of the anchor.

We’ve talked plenty about the anchor

13. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Correct those two with a 10 like Puli central or lleget with Puli wide for weaker opponents and Trapp behind them and Puli wide or SS against the heavyweights.

Pegasus and Pragidealist repped this.
  14. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    There are four mid spots here.

Two 8/10’s (one more 10 than 8 and one more 8 than 10), the anchor and the Rb that shifts into a mid of a 343.

Bradley and Trapp are the only 2 that play that anchor role now.

The 8/10- more 10 I’m thinking is Pulisic. The 8/10 more 8 I’m thinking is Mckennie.

Now you want to get Adams on the field.

So either - a) anchor for which I think he’s ill suited right now. B) shift Pulisic wide and use him as the 8-10 more 8 or c) make he an attacking 6 in a 343.

Any are possible. I don’t think he’s an anchor. C is by far the most interesting l/ fun option to discuss.

15. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    I think Berhalter wants an anchor all the time. Though.. just more 343 than 433 against weaker opponents

16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Again, why isn't he an anchor? He's got high IQ, is eminently teachable and has good technical skills. I just don't see what he's missing in his bag where WT/MB are clearly above him.

17. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    the word anchor is being used a lot here and I am a bit confused because it seems that it is being used in at least two different ways:
    1. literally....a very disciplined player that has a designated zone to cover/protect (in front of defense) ala Beckerman. I don't believe any of the proponents are looking at it this way.

2. figuratively......someone that the system relies on as much or more than any other. Without the anchor the team would be left to drift aimlessly in the seas until it finally runs aground. In this case, it seems to be the way the offense typically begins in the back by rotating around the defense and then through Bradley or Trapp before progressing up field.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #518 Excellency, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    one thing you guys could do to understand better what a 6 does is compare Bradley's distribution chart with Trapp's at this site (scroll down and give it some time to load)

Trapp v, CR
    https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...-us-mens-national-team-vs-costa-rica/boxscore

Breadley v. Panama
    https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-01-27-us-mens-national-team-vs-panama/boxscore

So why is Doyle saying Bradley made the most of this window and will be starting in Gold Cup? What is the real reason? I can't see it from the charts.

That Trapp chart is nice. Look for more dink ball like Bradley when Adams takes over (in his present iteration).

p.s. edit : I haven't been able to figure out how to load the above images and insert here.

19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Parks could also be an anchor? He spays the ball all over is even better keeping possession and is also kind of weak on defense. Sounds perfect and may be an offensive improvement. Not sure how his defense compares but would guess he might be the weakest of the three at that right now but could improve there over time. He could hit Pirlo-like passes.

20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've thought he could also be second striker against really good teams also. Could also just do the Uruguay thing and have everyone stay deep except for Pulisic, Weah and Sargent against the bully teams.

21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    no.

b.t.w., here is Curly Doyle on Bradley
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/02/04/armchair-analyst-biggest-winners-januarys-us-camp-ranked

Bradley was excellent in his 90 against Panama, and I have to admit I'm dying to see what he can do over the next 18-24 months in a system as structured and delineated as Berhalter's. I think he'll thrive.

Worth noting as well that Wil Trapp played the best 45 minutes of his national team career in the second half against the Ticos, and both guys won, on some level, by holding off the younger Russell Canouse for at least another month.

If he stays healthy, my guess is we'll see Bradley starting this summer in the Gold Cup.

22. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yeah. That was what Mexico did against Germany and France would do so that it was a turnover, pass, then long pass to the opposing 3rd with Greiz and Mbappe in space. It also holds the opposing teams FB's from pushing too far forward.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Adams is so good that I feel he'd be wasted as an anchor.

We want him to have freedom to go forward.

24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Why do we need an anchor that can't ball-win then? Aren't you the one who thinks our CBs are troncos? Need at least one destroyer in the middle three defenders.....

25. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No isn't good enough at this stage. Let's see if Parks plays at an MLS level or not. He's got an impressive skillset but hasn't proven it much in real games lately.

All Bradley did, and he did look good, was look good against lower level MLS competition. He should look real good against MLS rookies based on experience and pay scale.

He and Trapp appear to be locks at this point. Hopefully not in 2 years but that will take someone to take it away from them so obviously that it has to happen.