USA vs. New Zealand 9/15 + 9/19 P/I/P

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by BlueCrimson, Sep 7, 2017.

1. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The roster for the upcoming matches against New Zealand finally got released: http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...ter-for-september-matches-against-new-zealand

U.S. Women’s National Team Roster by Position (Caps/Goals):
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars;18/0), Jane Campbell (Houston Dash; 1/0), Ashlyn Harris (Orlando Pride; 13/0)

DEFENDERS (7): Abby Dahlkemper (NC Courage; 7/0), Tierna Davidson (Stanford; 0/0), Julie Ertz (Chicago Red Stars; 51/9), Kelley O’Hara (Sky Blue FC; 99/2), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City; 129/0), Casey Short (Chicago Red Stars; 13/0), Taylor Smith (NC Courage; 3/0)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Morgan Brian (Chicago Red Stars; 67/6), Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns FC; 131/18), Lindsey Horan (Portland Thorns FC; 37/3), Rose Lavelle (Boston Breakers; 6/2), Allie Long (Portland Thorns FC; 30/5), Samantha Mewis (NC Courage; 28/5), Megan Rapinoe (Seattle Reign FC; 123/33)

FORWARDS (5): Crystal Dunn (Chelsea FC; 54/22), Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride; 128/74), Christen Press (Chicago Red Stars; 90/43), Mallory Pugh (Washington Spirit; 26/5), Lynn Williams (NC Courage; 10/2)

jackdoggy and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By coincidence, the other future 1st team starter also got called up today:
    [​IMG]
    See Jane run :D

BlueCrimson repped this.
  3. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    davidson??

the obligatory u17-23/college player the youth coaches are recommending this year?

i'll have to look closer, but...don't remember being impressed when I've seen her play.

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Kind of disappointed with the odd Friday/Tuesday schedule as per my ability to view live.

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps accommodating the NWSL, which is in the "end game" of its season. The next NWSL games are on September 23 and 24. Even a Tuesday game is pushing it in terms of National Team player recovery time -- and the potential for injuries.

6. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #6 FawcettFan14, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    I am struggling to care much about these games. The roster is just boring and underwhelming to me. The midfield is especially troubling, most of them have been either injured or in poor form, or both.

It's irritating how that the contract system (it seems) hamstrings the coach into picking the same players all the time. The benefits of NWSL as far as player development and broadening the pool are blunted.

7. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we're mostly done experimenting with new call-ups, and it's time to let the 2018 WCQ starters gel ;) If you go by that, then there wouldn't be many new NWSL call-ups anyways.

The benefits of NWSL are fully evident ... for Australia, Brasil, and some recent Euro teams :D

Me, I admit to some ennui because ... New Zealand is barely the size of Seattle. But they're a quality WWC-level opponent for a friendly tour in a year in which most top-10 teams don't want to fly here again just to play us twice.

jnielsen and blissett repped this.
  8. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SURGEON GENERAL’S WARNING
    Prolonged lapses of time without a
    USWNT Match will lead to irritability,
    anxiety, depression and indignation.

Date: September 15, 2017
    Time: 8:00 MT, 10:00 ET (a little later than usual)
    Place to be: Dick’s Sporting Goods Park - Commerce City, Colo.
    Opponents: Fightin Kiwis
    Weather: Partly cloudy, about 65 at KIck
    TV: ESpin2

Our friends in the 38th State will welcome the triumphant return of their two mostest awesomest citizens ever:
    20170913 WNT Training at DSG Park00003.jpg

49 hours 42 minutes to Kick my little soccer buddies.

The Journey with these Women, with this Team will ALWAYS..BE...GLORIOUS

cpthomas repped this.
  9. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't see this as being the contract at all. Coach Ellis has simply chosen the midfield players that she wants. Heath, Rapinoe, Dunn, and Pugh are all playing well on the outside. Mewis has been playing extremely well. The other center mids have had issues of some kind, but clearly Ellis still rates them highly. I think this is just a matter of your opinion being different from the coach.

10. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I am looking forward to seeing how Heath, Pugh, Brian and Lavelle look with the NT since their injuries. Hopefully NZ will provide an adequate level to test them.

Gilmoy repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

jnielsen, Namdynamo and lil_one repped this.
  12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i'm worried about long term, persistent injuries a la heath and brian. it's always disturbing.

I'm beginning to doubt that heath especially will ever be back to her old self. she has that forever back injury.

13. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Whoopee! Sofia Huerta is eligible to play for the US. There was some chatter that she was being tried out at fullback. Well, she's got the stamina; she's a good crosser; and she's durable. We'll see.

14. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    hope she gets a run-out on the right wing where she's comfortable - especially while press is up front.

MRAD12 repped this.
  15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Anyone going to the 9/19 game in Cincinnati? I will be there. If anyone wants to say Hi, PM me.
    I love meeting fellow posters.

jnielsen repped this.
  16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #16 MRAD12, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    I hope she gets her shot.
    Whether she makes it or not I wish her the best as she is a hard worker and one of the most likable players you will ever meet.
    The USWNT needs more unselfish players who are out there for the right reason, to play their hearts out and not pad their resume, be adored or make it all about them or to get TV commercial time or the opportunity to be on the cover of a magazine, you get the picture.
    My impression of Sofia is just the opposite, she just wants to play hard and win.

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering which players you're talking about -- I have my own ideas about a few of them. That will help avoid the impression that you're talking about most of the players -- or, maybe you are.

18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No, not most of the players, but there are a couple here and there that I feel and reading soccer blogs across the internet some fans feel are out for what ever bit of juice they can squeeze from the popularity of the USWNT.
    No need to mention names.

19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going. I didn't wait 9 years for the team to come back to my city and then not go to see them.

20. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    afaik, all the players on the team are unselfish, and are there for the right reason. it would be well nigh impossible to make it this far if they weren't.

some people are always going to be, personalitywise, more self promoting than others.

but they all just want to play hard and win.

21. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'll be there, just got my ticket. I hadn't realized the match was in Cinci until tonight.

22. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Casey Short benched or something else? :cry:

23. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Zealand (Tony Readings):
    17 Hannah Wilkinson
    11 Kirsty Yallop, 12 Betsy Hassett, 13 Rosie White
    14 Katie Bowen, 10 Annalie Longo
    7 Ali Riley, 5 Meikayla Moore, 6 Rebekah Ashley Stott, 2 Ria Percival
    1 Erin Nayler

USA (Jillian Ellis):
    15 Megan Rapinoe, 13 Alex Morgan, 2 Mallory Pugh
    9 Lindsey Horan, 8 Julie Ertz, 3 Samantha Mewis
    5 Kelley O'Hara, 4 Becky Sauerbrunn, 7 Abby Dahlkemper, 22 Taylor Smith
    1 Ashlyn Harris

24. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tune in to see 4 Rapinoe turnovers in a row and a beautiful goal By Ertz

25. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 Gilmoy, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    16' 1-0 S.Mewis square pass left to O'Hara at 25m arc left, one-touch right instep chip to 7m 7-right. Horan twist-heads down to 4m 4-right, directly into the stride of Ertz cutting diagonally from center -- one-touch right instep half-volley off the bounce, rises over Nayler's left hand into back right high. A bolt of lightning, perfect strike in congested space.

25' 2-0 Morgan comes back to ball at 32m mid-right (drawing Stott away with her), slaloms between 2, as T.Smith runs past her on an overlap to arc top box right. Morgan snaps a left outstep ground pass to T.Smith, perfect zero-motion ball-stop and turn, she promptly rolls a fast ground pass down box right for Pugh sprinting past Riley. Pugh catches up at 0.1m with ball half-over endline, hooks a cross outswinging to Rapinoe at 7m 4-left. Rapinoe has so much space she waits for ball with both feet set -- pike-heads off left post, ball bounces out to 12m 1/3 left (as Rapinoe sags and puts palms down on grass). Ertz runs on from wherever she lurks, flashes across O'Hara's bow at spot, drills a one-touch right foot shot into center back 1/5 high, past Nayler's dive. She's on the 1H hat trick :coffee: