Pre-match: USA vs Mexico -- Gold Cup Final Sun 7/7

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by rob88, Jul 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClappinJonny99

Borussia Dortmund, Liverpool, DC United
    United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    There is a pretty strong correlation between the best teams and playing attractive football. Grit and desire doesn’t do very much when you don’t have the quality to play creatively and pass quickly and effectively.

bsky22 and Dfwsoccer01 repped this.
  2. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every game against Mexico is a must win. We beat them last year. We should beat them today.

USA!

3. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Lol oh boy......

And I bet you also though Rapinoe had an outstanding tournament and deserved that Golden Ball?

Have you ever touched a soccer ball in your life? We ain’t trying to win a World Cup championship game and will do anything to win it... We’re trying to grow a soccer program that’s stalled... Winning a BS gold cup isn’t going to all of a sudden make us contenders.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Italy was one of the top teams for seven decades playing a style that was often quite ugly to watch.

5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My comment you quoted referred explicitly to our past history in this tournament in the knockout rounds. Those weren't expanded tournaments.

Mexico doesn't get to play at home, you're right, but they do play in front of crowds with a higher percentage of their own fans than we do (in the vast majority of games, in any case), and certainly more than any other country they play. But I don't give a shit about that because that's never been a rationale for me one way or another.

How should we improve, then, relative to the top 20 if our only official tournament other than WCQ and the WC is this Gold Cup? What should we do? Go to San Salvador and try to play 90% possession jogo bonito on a field that would be more suited to moguls than soccer if it weren't so flat?

The Gold Cup is in the US because we've got the best fields, best stadiums, best infrastructure and pretty much every country in CONCACAF has a significant diaspora here, particularly the larger countries. And, because CONCACAF makes the most money because of all that.

Excuses for Mexico barely getting to the final. I disagree with you on the US' play this tournament--as I've said, I think they've improved and increased their cohesion throughout the tournament, regardless of some periods of poor play.

6. ClappinJonny99

United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    I said a pretty strong correlation. I didn’t say in every case. And when you say they didn’t play an attractive style, your talking about relative to Italian standards and expectations.

7. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pre-game crowd behind the Fox crew is 99/1 Mexico lol

Beerking repped this.
  8. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just setting the stage to complain that "Yeah, our 3 goals were good, and we won handily but I want to see that for 90 minutes, not 10. There's no progress here. And, Mexico almost lost to Martinique and Haiti, anyway, so they suck right now."

EDITORS NOTE: I don't think the US is going to win handily while scoring 3 goals.

Sebsasour repped this.
  10. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Oh great, another game played in Mexico City. I'm overly tired of our "home" matches that feel like we're playing in a foreign country. Next USMNT game should be held in Whitefish Montana. :mad:

ifsteve and Bajoro repped this.
  11. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Another away game. :thumbsdown:

12. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I somehow don't think CONCACA$H would agree to that lol

Bajoro and Beerking repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, there's also no correlation between playing pretty, possession-oriented, combination-rich soccer and being a soccer power for a long time.

Uruguay, Italy, Czech Republic, England & Yugoslavia were soccer world powers for decades, playing a style that was not based on possession or fast passing.

On the other hand, teams like Hungary, Portugal, Peru, Colombia & Romania only had short-lived success playing visually pleasing soccer.

Whether you reach lasting success or not does not seem, to me, to correlate at all with the style you play.

14. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    did any of those guys play in 2017? maybe dempsey?

That is because Berhalter has limited the pool. He started with a January camp and has only brought in obvious euro guys plus Ream.

15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad Cannon is getting the start. Somewhat surprised that Miazga gets it over Zimmerman. Pretty much as I expected (Morris over Boyd, was hoping for Cannon on his form).

16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    and they had technically sound players capable of playing as pretty as just about any other country.

Three and Three and ClappinJonny99 repped this.
  17. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    60-40 is very optimistic.

18. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny shnagg. Rep!

19. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I hope the women’s win today gives the men some added focus and drive tonight.

But at the end of the day, and someone said it, if they don’t play well, that needs to be exposed. It’s the absolute only way things will ever get better. Getting a misleading win as a result isn’t going to help this program.

If they get outclassed, everyone will ask why are the women winning and not the men (even though anyone who actually plays knows this has always been the case), but hopefully that will force more changes on the men’s side that I think need to happen.

20. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexicans come out for their team no matter what....lets face it the US doesn't have that die hard of a fan base, and this team was left without a coach for over a year and a half with nothing to care about, don't color me shocked if US fan enthusiasm is particularly low at the moment.

21. ClappinJonny99

United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    I’m not saying anybody has to try and emulate Brazil or Spain. But, playing an attractive and entertaining game should be something to aspire to. This whole debate we are having also hinges on how we define attractive play. I don’t think any of the countries you mentioned have played “unattractive soccer” in the same way teams lower in the pecking order do. Once again, I’m talking about what our aspiration should be to play.

22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    And when we have the quality, we’ll play more attractively. Not the other way around FFs.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    And trying to play attractively doesn’t help us at all - it actually hurts us.

24. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Depends on how you define the fan base. I would say it's not that it is not die hard, it's just that it's not large. Those in the Chicago area who don't want to go to this game probably do not count as part of the base.

CMeszt repped this.
  25. ClappinJonny99

United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    I wasn’t talking about this moment for our national team. I was commenting on the broad strokes that post made about grit and desire being the only important factors. Relax.

26. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is correct. And, unless anyone wants to argue that, regardless of this Gold Cup roster, the US has the quality across all positions, with depth, to pursue "attractive football" against the best in the world (or, against the ones that hack, push, tackle and muscle the most) then this conversation will get us nowhere. I will note that, as of the end of 2018, we had ZERO players in the Guardian's top-100 players in the world (a panel of 225 experts from 69 countries made the calls). I doubt anyone can really argue that we're particularly close to having the extensive quality necessary to play "attractive football" in the way those arguing for it probably think it's supposed to look.