Pre-match: USA vs Mexico -- Gold Cup Final Sun 7/7

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by rob88, Jul 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm more than ok with that, in fact we've done that vs Mexico on more than a few occassions.....a win is a win

DHC1, napper and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  2. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Flags fly forever.

I wouldn't be fine with it if this were a friendly, for what its worth.

Bajoro, ChrisSSBB and CMeszt repped this.
  3. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as he wears his "big boy" pants that reach to his ankles. And, the US is not going to score 3 goals...not even in your dreams.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Seems like we should be finding a way to do both, because if we don't have a system that can beat Mexico on US soil, we don't have a system that is likely to get us very far against good teams anywhere.

5. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Different story in the South Loop right now.

50/50 Ball and markandrew78 repped this.
  6. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I agree in principle, but in practice, I'm in favor of simply winning the game regardless of approach.

Friendlies are process over outcome. This should be outcome first and then we can discuss the merits of the process and what it says about where we're at.

schrutebuck and aarond23 repped this.
  7. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Plus listening to "But had all the possession.....!" From El Tri fans after a loss is especially fun.

napper and DHC1 repped this.
  8. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember a game vs Spain that was won in a rather uglier than ugly fashion and I don't remember anyone worrying about the 'style points' at the end...

HScoach13, Bajoro, DHC1 and 2 others repped this.
  9. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And this is why the state of US soccer always stays still. We get just enough “results” to pull the wool over peoples eyes and make people think we’re improving...

10. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. You play with the talent you have.

Girt, ChrisSSBB and CMeszt repped this.
  11. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I can’t stand the denial people have. It’s a joke. And then people throw their arms up and wonder why their team doesn't make the World Cup!

Ill check back after the game and then see everyone’s comments... lol

12. ClappinJonny99

Borussia Dortmund, Liverpool, DC United
    United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    I think this game will largely depend on what team shows up. If we play like we did against Jamaica, it will be close. Play like we did against curaçao and we’re toast. And why are so many people here acting like we’ve never been better than Mexico. We haven’t in at least 5 years, but have definitely been the dominant team in Concacaf and easily beaten them before.

13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    This was an expanded tournament. Concacaf is weak and the tournament got weaker. The only part that hasnt been is the US, Mexico, and CR at times. The quality of play doesn't resemble anything we will see at the WC.

Mexico doesnt get to play at home and the style is just ugly. Trying to be the kings of this region is at the detriment of improving relative to the top 20. Not getting a result against an athletic team like Haiti playing physically and defensively isnt that surprising. Not playing well the whole tournament except for short stretches is what is troubling.

14. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    There's a difference between wanting to win first against an opponent that's probably better than you are, versus watching us grind out a result against Random Caribbean Island FC and thinking that's okay. Nobody thought the latter was a great sign for the direction of our program, and if we win 2-1 by playing like Mourinho's Chelsea it doesn't mean we're on the upswing.

You're conflating the desire of the fanbase to win the Gold Cup with the idea that winning the Gold Cup will mean all is well, and at least for me, that definitely isn't the case.

50/50 Ball and Ironbound repped this.
  15. ClappinJonny99

United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    Your being way too nice to Mexico to mention their name next to Spain. That’s a horse of a different color right there...

16. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team has regressed quite a bit in the last few years, but getting a result is a skill set just like playing 'jogo bonito' would be.

mbar, Bajoro and DempseysMustache repped this.
  17. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the years when Mexico had Borgetti lets say late 90s/early 2000s....we were obviously the inferior 'skills' team but we gave that team fits....being able to beat more skilled opponents with a conservative and counter attacking approach, worked for years and years...is it 'progressing the game' in the country? Probably not, but its one way to victory.

Girt repped this.
  18. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    How come it feels like we have just gone backwards since winning the last title?

We should obviously try to win, but within a longer term plan. The ideas on here are just recycled versions of what was said 15+ year ago. This year has been one large experiment. The roster is extremely limited. I'd rather that gets exposed than a trophy.

Dfwsoccer01 repped this.
  19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    The thought that trying to play attractively moves us forward as a nation is a f***ing joke.

Wins matter, grit matters, desire matters.

Attractive football means nothing.

DempseysMustache, Girt and napper repped this.
  20. markandrew78

markandrew78 Member

Jun 10, 2007
    I can imagine. Oh well, hopefully the AO section is loud.

21. ClappinJonny99

United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    I agree with that, but I was commenting on the disparity between Spain and Mexico making the analogy not worthwhile. Any win against Spain would have to come from grinding it out, but Mexico has never even got close to that level.

aarond23 repped this.
  22. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Because our player pool lacks top end talent a la Donovan, Dempsey, Jones?

I think everyone knows this group is severely limited; the group stage and QF games really highlighted that, not to mention the 2 warmup friendlies. Winning isn't going to make Tim Ream any less of a liability or make Michael Bradley any younger.

Bajoro, Girt and aarond23 repped this.
  23. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God damn, we're playing a ********ing title game against our biggest rival in what is probably our biggest single game until Qatar, and we're arguing about ********ing style points and what it means for the future?

HScoach13, y-lee-coyote, Bajoro and 11 others repped this.
  24. 70runner

70runner Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Mexico brings a capable midfield, one that will likely exploit MB90s infamous 10yd off the mark defensive strategy. The Mexicans will dribble/pass around him with ease, pressuring the defense. McKenney can hold his own (and some) but he can't compensate for MB90s weaknesses. Have we seen this midfield show before? Yup, during WC qualifying.

If CP asserts himself, and the defense holds up to the pressure, there could be a favorable US outcome. If they win despite MB90 slogging around the midfield, that could bode positive for 2020 WC qualifying when more skilled mids finally put MB90 out to pasture.

yurch10 and ClappinJonny99 repped this.
  25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Actually, compared to the Yahoo! forum, this one is much more positive. Over there they received the women's win as if it were a national disgrace. And it wasn't just politics, quite a lot of men seem to just hate women, period, these days.

CMeszt repped this.