Pre-match: USA vs Mexico; April 15th at the Alamodome

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Good non FIFA date friendly. I expect something similar to the Camp Cupcake Squad with less U23 players

2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Is the title supposed to read "Alamo-D'OH!" to reflect a late goal being surrendered?

paulalanr, El Duderino, wixson7 and 2 others repped this.
  3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    It will be a best available MLS and MFL domestic roster.

4. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha, hopefully a Mod will fix it

bungadiri repped this.
  5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may be our strongest domestic lineup ever.

6. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Only time since I got out of the military that I wished I was still stationed at Lackland Air Force base.

paulalanr repped this.
  7. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    The Alamo.

Well, I guess Mexico wins this one, but get prepared for 200 years of dominance posthaste.

8. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    I was only there for 6 weeks, never been back since

9. barnitosupreme9

barnitosupreme9 New Member

May 5, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any idea how much tickets might cost?

10. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We win because our strong domestic roster now. Then later in the summer probably lose to them when it matters.

11. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 TKyle, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    [​IMG]
    (Edit: Can't get my image to post:confused:)

12. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Demasiado

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bunch of my buddies and I are already making plans to head over from Houston to San Antonio early that game day and join up with any other of y'all Pinche Gringo soccer junkies! so we call all back our boys in this always unfriendly friendly.
    If anyone remembers the quality tailgate us in Houston hosted for this same fixture in 2008 than it should be a wonderful time tailgating with everyone in the Alamo City. April in Texas in the San Antonio region at night should be blissful weather to be outside standing keg side!

See y'all in April!!!

Actually it was a bunch of Mexicans fighting against other Mexicans joined with their recent immigrant compadres to Mexico land. There were two desisive battles fought to control the town of San Antonio. Both were battles fought in a Mexican Civil War as several Mexican Estados (States) were rising up against the self crowned "Napoleon of the West" President Santa Anna after he limited derechos mexicanos (Mexican rights) from their Constitution the Mexican government penned after breaking away from Spain a la other Latino nations did in that era like Argentina, Bolivia and so on.
    The end game of the various Estados revolting is that the Mexican State of Tejas was the only one that didn't get crushed. We won by capturing said General Santa Anna and that ended that. 9 years later and Texas would stop being its own nation and join the U.S. which really opened up the door for our nation to evolve into the Western Hemisphere leader that was needed heading into the coming World Wars of the next century. It can be said that the Battle of the Alamo really did have a terrific impact on world history.

Here is the iconic flag that flew over the garrison at the Alamo in San Antonio with the green, white and red tricolor and year of new Constitution.
    [​IMG]

YOU KNOW IT!
    Regarding on the field honor, our nation won the very first competitive encounter with El Cry back in 1934 and our sports culture put the sport on the back burner for the next 40 years but ever since the mid 90's the outcome is always in dispute!
    U.S.A. Bitches!!!

IndividualEleven and mike4066 repped this.
  14. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sebsasour repped this.
  15. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good to see. Curious to see what the crowd split will be, I'm sure it'll be mostly Mexican fans but when we played in Phoenix last year the disparity was a lot smaller than what I thought it'd be (at least from what I saw on TV)

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    [QUOTE="Sebsasour, post: 31652973, member: 20699Good non FIFA date friendly. I expect something similar to the Camp Cupcake Squad with less U23 players[/QUOTE]

Good. That is the core of the team, the cream of the crop. The Euro filler is pretty much irrelevant these days anyway.

17. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh for the most part you're right, but if I were make to make a best 23 it'd still include a handful of Euro/Liga MX players.

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Cameron, Bedoya, Fab, Chandler, Guzan, and Yedlin are obviously in the 23 of any roster for a competitive match.

Williams also probably makes it. The Euros still constitute a crucial chunk of the team.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not really. Yedlin isn't close to obvious choice, vide his recent performances. Let's see how it goes with Spurs.Chandler isn't international material at this level and never has been. Fabian isn't always an obvious choice if we go 3 backs. You see a discussion around his true position continuing at club level. Cameron has always been a question mark as far as his true position is concerned. Cameron,Bedoya, Fabian and Guzan would be in my 23 at the mom but 4 out of 23 is filler. I think you add Brooks but remember we have Besler and Hedges who can play left back and they can play important tune ups for Gold Cup like the Mexico game to get ready.

The worm turns.

20. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were Texians/Tejanos not Mexicans. Just because some of us have Spanish surnames and are mixed with the indigenous race, it don't mean that we are Mexican.

mike4066 repped this.
  21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yep, add Brooks to that list. A crucial group in all, the rationalization notwithstanding.

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So people have forgotten about Howard I see.

Then there is that kid playing in the Netherlands. Johannsson.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well, tbph, Cameron, Fabian, Yedlin and Chandler all play the same position. Constantly force feeding all 4 on us is creating a problem. Because JK just can't get over squeezing every fave possible into the lineup we always get these Frankenstein selections with huge gaps in one place and overgrowth in another. It would be nice to make a well balanced selection for once.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Really don't understand why some people think almost all of our best 23 is domestic based. If we are just going off of the squad from the last WC and then subtracting players like Howard, Beasley and Davis who are either taking a break, retired from the NT or clearly not in the picture right now, we still have Guzan, Yedlin, Chandler, Brooks, Cameron, Fabian Johnson, Bedoya, Green and Johannsson playing in Europe. Thats 9 of the 20 from the WC squad that might still be part of the best 23 that are playing in Europe.

Obviously everyone has a different version of what they think is the best 23 and that group of 23 at the WC isn't probably even close to the best 23 now, but we still have a lot of our best players in Europe.

To say this will be an "A" team just because Dempsey, Altidore and Bradley are there is just not true. Arguably the biggest drop-offs in our player pool come at the full back positions and in goal. While someone might not consider Guzan, Johnson, Yedlin and Chandler to be our best players they are a lot better than the MLS and Liga MX based players at their positions. I believe the drop off from Yedlin/Chandler to Parkhurst/Evans and Guzan to Rimando is a lot bigger than the drop off from Bradley and Jones to Williams and Morales. Our European based starting XI is probably more talented than our MLS based starting XI, but the MLS and Liga MX group seems to have a big advantage in depth since MLS is the domestic league.

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Parkhurst played in CL. Klinsi picked Evans over Yedlin for rb. He was afraid to play Chandler one minute in Brazil.

It's really hard to change with the times. Our player pool now suggests we should be talking about filling positions rather than lining up a "hierarchy" of players based on royal prerogative.
    Mexico learned this, now we should.