PBP: USA vs Guatemala 10/30

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, Oct 30, 2010.

1. welshfan

welshfan Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As if she thought that sitting on the ball could help her score.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapinoe is lucky she didn't get a card there. She's already on a yellow.

3. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Rapinoe needs to stop with the unnecessary tackles. The game is in hand, just take it easy. Granted, she has taken some hits herself, but better to take the high road and not retaliate.

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mitts, Rampone, and Lloyd are the field players that have played 180 min. 2 of them are > 30. They need to sit vs CR (3rd game in 5 days).

lol. Rapinoe likes 'em fiesty....

5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    88' 9-0 #5 Alex Morgan gets loose up the box left channel, drives around one defender at 6-top left, crosses back to 9m slightly right of center. #8 Amy Rodriguez, alone in acres of space, one-touches softly, and undercuts the ball -- high pop fly, everybody stops to just watch the arc. It gets plenty high enough to clear the bar, but didn't have the oomph ;) -- and it "perfectly" nestles just under the upper right 90, in the side netting. Perfect lob!! But the degree of difficulty was self-inflicted ...

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ARod correcting the math & claiming her goals.

7. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both the wings looked fantastic today. HAO and Rapinoe were the best players on the field, in my opinion.

Glad Wambach and Boxx got some rest. I'd like to see more from Morgan.. she looked good and worked till the game ended.

8. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Agreed on both counts. O'Reilly works extremely hard, even when those around her aren't. Hopefully Morgan gets more time against Costa Rica...seeing a full 90 out of her would be fun. She makes things happen more consistently than A-Rod, who mostly reacts to what happens around her.

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll continue the agreeableness and concur w/ both of you :D

ARod should sit vs CR. And Cheney needs some game time, too.

My starting XI vs CR. First, sit all field players that have played 180. Maybe Lloyd gets 45 if Boxx rests the whole game--who needs the rest more?

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Abby, Morgan, Rapinoe, Averbuch, Boxx/Lindsey, HAO, Cox, Buehler, LePeilbet, Krieger, Barnhart[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Cheney for Abby either at the half or prior to the half if we're +3. The other subs depend on the score and who is tired.
    Get Averbuch 90 (in the middle). Get Krieger 90. Get Sauerbrunn some sub time (if we're up).

10. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, congrats to Lipilbit, Sour Brown, RA-pin-o, and the rest of the US team. I'll repeat what Megan said the day she was drafted into WPS...."That's Ra-PEE-no!"

Not bad after the first 15 minutes, but I have a feeling if they start like that against a good team, it will be the Olympics vs. Norway in 2008 all over again. I still think our back line is suspect. There were some missed opportunities by Guatemala, space that could have been exploited with better timed or better placed passes.

The semifinal is the important match really. A loss there and things get a little too interesting. Then you have to win the 3rd place game and then have to face Italy. No need making the road any tougher than you have to.

So who will it be in the semis....Canada, Mexico, or Trinidad & Tobago?

11. soccermuse

soccermuse Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Australia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing if Lil could play a full 90 against Costa Rica. Given that she did just break fitness records in training camp (again) it would be interesting to see how she would go playing a full game.

12. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make an excellent point. Why not start her and have Rapinoe & HAO split another half. They are the ones that need to be ready to play an intense 90 in the semifinals. That way the entire roster get used/rotated so that legs are fresh.

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Abby, Morgan, Lilly, Averbuch, Boxx/Lindsey, HAO, Cox, Buehler, LePeilbet, Krieger, Barny[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Cheney for Abby either @ the half or if we are +3 b/f half.
    Rapinoe for HAO @ half.
    If Lindsey starts, see how she's playing then either sub for a CB if she's doing well (and we're winning) or for her if she's stinking up the joint.

Then the players Pia sees as her "best XI" will be ready for the must win semifinal. If Mexico does not beat Canada on Nov 2, then we will have to face Mexico @ home w/ a WWC place on the line. That game would be extremely tough.

This is the group I think Pia has as her "best XI" and who I think she'd start in the semi. Please note that it is not who I think is the best team nor what I would do.

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Abby, ARod, Rapinoe, Lloyd, Boxx, HAO, Buehler, LePeilbet, Rampone, Mitts, Barny[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

13. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That seems to be Pia's thinking, I agree. But holy cow, I love Rampone and Mitts but it's not like either of them had stellar WPS seasons. This is the best we can do?

14. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rampone has done ok this tourney, mitts hasn't even done that. She was a mess during haiti and for Guatemala i swear i saw rampone making the flank runs more than i saw mitts doing it. the rest of the team seemed like they were trying to actively avoid the mitts passing area altogether.

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah. that was fairly obvious, wasn't it. Please Krieger tonight!