USA vs Guatemala 03/30/05 - First hand accounts from Birmingham

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by nyrmetros, Mar 30, 2005.

1. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Little doubt it was. I think it was a mistake to put the Grenada game in Columbus - Locals there KNEW they would get one or two better qualifiers later on, that would have been a match to put in virgin territory.

You guys sounded great last night, see you in Utah.

2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Fantastic time.

Got into Birmingham around 10 Tuesday morning, just chilled in the airport until 2 because I couldn't check into my hotel until then.

Birmingham seemed like a pretty nice city. I remarked to Jarret that it reminded me of a Buffalo on it's way up instead of plummeting down, like the real Buffalo.

People were extremely friendly and given it's painful racial past, I did not see one Confederate flag my entire time there. I see more in six hours on an average day here in South Florida than I did in my three days there.

Since I got up at 3:30 that morning for my plane, I just collapsed on my bed when I got into my room and slept until around 11 that night, woke up for a half hour and just clonked out for the rest of the evening.

I awoke to see three people on the UAB soccer field (it was literally 50 feet from my room) practicing in USA track suits so I got my camera and jersey on and ran down to the fence to take some pictures.

I assumed the whole team was going to come to train, but it was just Jon Busch, Glenn Mynerick, and the goalkeeper coach who came down alone to do some additional work before the game that night. It was quite amusing to watch Gooch scour the adjacent parking lot searching for a ball that cleared the perimeter fence. :D

Got some lunch at the Waffle House attached to my hotel (blech), and later that afternoon Jarret came around to pick me up for the game.

Like Jarret said, driving into the stadium was like a USA-Honduras 2001 relapse, and the lack of a central Sam's Army tailgate was disheartening as we watched the Guat fans rally in front of the gates.

But it was nice to finally put names to faces (JoeSoccerFan, MikeyMike, Jarret, et al thanks for the bratwurst!).

Walking through the stadium to the GA wasn't fun either. Again, blue and white everywhere.

Luckily, the USA fans were all late arriving and like Kasey Keller said, the good ol' boys finally showed up and we outnumbered the Guats for the first time all day. I couldn't hear from beneath the BAF, but apparently the non-GA USA fans sang the anthem with gusto.

I haven't seen pictures yet, but the General Admission section was great. I don't say Sam's Army section because I only seen a couple of their t-shirts, and mostly it was just the NYC and North Jersey guys organizing everything.

I couldn't tell if you could hear us throughout the whole stadium, but I know the Guats to the right of us definitley heard our "No Se Puedes". The only chant I heard from the rest of the crowd was "U-S-A", so good on the rest of the US crowd.

My favorite chant of the night? It's gotta be: "There's only one Lynrd Skynrd"

I was actually worried that the bleachers we were all standing were going to give way, because they constantly swayed during the game, with people falling into the row in front of them quite often, especially during the crazy goal celebrations. After the game when everyone was clearing out, I saw two ends of the bleachers were sticking up, unhinged where they should've been locked together, so that could've been dangerous. I really hope UAB fixes up Legion Field before the next USA game there.

This game was the best sort of win. Dominated on the field totally and shouted down the "Guatemalans". I'm glad so many of them spent so much time and money on this trip just to come and see their team get owned. That'll teach the bastards. :D

And we really let that sonofabitch referee have it when he was coming off at the end. Seriously, that was the worst display of officiating I've ever seen. The handball was somehow more blatant than the 2002 Quaterfinal.

Man, if Eddie scored on that bike, it would've been another 2 mil on his transfer fee and about 2,000 USA fans collapsing the GA bleachers into the bowels of Legion Field. :D

Helping fold up the BAF was quite an experience as well.

Glad the apocolypse held up until well after the game. Man, I thought the Fall hurricanes had come back.

All in all, a fantastic three days and I can't wait for Columbus in September.

Special thanks to Jarrett for the ride to and from the game. You, sir, rule all.

3. Iplayedforchelsea

Iplayedforchelsea New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Athens, GA USA
    First and foremost, that was just a stunning, absolutely perfect evening for soccer. Ahhhhhhhhh spring in the south (I know its nice elsewhere too!)!!!

walking into the stadium was a surreal experience. It was quite intimidating really.

The Gutamalan (sp?) fans gave the US team bus a hearty, good natured welcome as it arrived just after the Guatamalan bus, which they went bonkers over. I am glad I got to see that.

Worst PA system ever.

USMNT did what they needed to. That is easily handled a team that they should easily handle in a WCQ. I really have no complaints. It was fun to watch.

There's only one Kasey Keller.

I think the players were really pleased with the crowd. Based on their post- game activities.

I was really pleased with the crowd. (after the game started)

That was one heck of a well timed heck of an electrical storm. In terms of not messing with the game anyway. Sucked going back to Athens.

I have a short video (20 or so seconds)of the Guat. bus pulling into the stadium, someone please tell me how to post it.

4. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at the thread the Mike somebody or other put up re pics from Azteca and B'ham. When you visit his site, he has a link for submitting your pictures/videos.

5. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I am always amazed when folks posting here attack whatever city gets to play host for not being able to become Mexico City all of sudden.

At some point I hope folks are gonna wake up and realize that our is a nation of immigrants and these games present a great chance to celebrate their homeland. I don't think most americans are ever going to replicate that passion.

Having seen US games in Richmond VA and Hershey PA,I will never forget seeing the masses of non US fans on the roads. I assure you, there wil always be a sizable contingent of visiting fans no matter where the games are held.

The other dynamic is that US fans are just not as programmed or as loud.

We are not England, we are not Mexico. That's why its fun!

6. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Got back this afternoon. My voice is still whispery, raspy, and almost unintelligible. What a fantastic 3 days! Great to meet RickR and his wonderful girl Yvonne, and to catch up with the guys from Ohio, MN, DC etc.

Had a good time at The Mellow Mushroom, then on to the Cajun Bar & Grill for the pre-night. Matchday I went shopping with my wife, part of the price I pay for her coming to these things! That evening grabbed a few brews at 5 Points Grill, and a couple glasses of wine courtesy of the Pickwick.

Arriving at the stadium I couldn't believe how much BLUE there was. Still, I had faith we'd eventually outnumber 'em. Met up with RickR and some of the DC boys who treated me to a couple brews. (I repaid 'em at the post-match gathering of course) Once we got inside the crowd was about 60-40 US by kickoff, and probably 65-35 once everyone got in. It was definitely a pro-USA crowd. The supporters section rocked! Literally. (Ask anyone about trying to stand on those rickety old bleachers) I think this is the most firey I've seen US fans outside of the supporters section in a LONG time. The guats never had control of the crowd, or the match. Those stating it was 50/50 at best are simply wrong IMO.

Well, we win, get back to the hotel and make our way into the deluge for the after-match party. Very well attended, and a nice way to top off the trip. I'll see most of you and hopefully a lot I've never met in Chicago and Columbus!

P.s. My wife did say at the end of the festivities last night that I could go the the SLC match if I wanted. I know you Ohio boys heard her right? Back me up on this, I'll be reminding her in a week or two...

7. Iplayedforchelsea

Iplayedforchelsea New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Athens, GA USA
    Thanks!!

Now I'll just charge the batteries and..............

ps: nancyb: I love the haiku thread(s)

8. MrSparkle

MrSparkle New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Downers Grove, IL
    Just got back a few hours ago. Beat after an exhausting -- but well worth it -- couple of days. Don't want to repeat anything that's really been said, but I want to defend the job Birmingham did (since some of you thought it subpar). Overall, just a terrific atmosphere (even if it was catalyzed by a large Guat contingent) and everyone seemed to have a genuinely good time.

But props to Birmingham. I found a sports talk station as we neared the city and found a station broadcasting live from the field. The show hosts were fired up about the game -- and even though their soccer IQ was limited (e.g., discussion about "yellow flags" and how "two yellow flags get you a red flag") -- they were really proud to be hosting the game. Even the following morning (when there was nothing left to advertise) local sports radio was still discussing the game, the excitement it produced, and even the feasibility of an MLS team in B'Ham.

Hearing two hours of radio devoted entirely to soccer was refreshing and showed me how seriously the city took the game. (I'm not sure I've heard more than six minutes of talk show time devoted to soccer during a lifetime of listening to Chicago sports radio). Bottom line: Birmingham felt it was a privilege to host the game and they delivered. Thanks, and I'll be more than happy to see another WCQ over there any time.

By the way, my guess for the crowd was 60-40 or 65-35 US, while my friends argued it was more 50/50.

9. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Yeah, trust us guys who were at the game. It was definitley a pro-USA crowd.

Yanks Abroad had a good estimate at about 4000. Don't discount every Guat having a flag.

10. ripmstr

ripmstr New Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Orlando Fl
    Just got back home after driving through a driving rain/thunderstorm which followed me all day. Had a great time at the game.

For those of you who stayed at the Embassy Suites in Homewood know, we had the pleasure of hosting the Guat team and all their fans.

We went to the Mellow Mushroom, good pizza, met some new people. That night my boys felt it necessary to do their part and (from our seventh floor room) kept hitting the alarm button on the car which just happened to be parked under the teams rooms on the second floor. They kept looking out to see some guat fans standing around it at one point (12:30). Woke up around 3:30 for another round of car alarm and again at 5:30. We went to the front desk to get a paper at 6:15 when I was informed the hotel needed to speak to me as my car alarm was going off all night and they hand many complaints (the last one being 10 minutes ago) they also had to call the Police to get my tag number to see whose car it was. I was shocked needless to say and unless I disabled it, I would have to park away from the hotel.

Going out to the car a few hours later I realized someone had slashed one of my tires. Damn. That morning the Guat fans from out out state just kept coming and were hanging out all over the hotel lobby.

We went to Dreamland for great BBQ and to watch the England game.

Tailgated and had screamed my lungs out, lost my phone but it was soo worth the troubles.

I was asked by a fan why we wear red - he said we should wear white but all were great folks and shared a beer after the game until the rains came.

Can't wait to see you all in Chicago - Great job Joel for getting us together!!!!

11. MinnesotaScouser

Mar 29, 2005
    St Paul, Minnesota
    Just back tonite. Had an awesome time.

When I first got in the stadium about 30 min before kickoff, I was pissed to see all the blue. But as others have stated, by kickoff, it was probably 60-40 in favor of US fans. So if you exclude the Guats from the attendance, that leaves about 19,000 US supporters. Not bad, but I would have expected a better turnout for a match in the final round of qualifying. Some have pointed out that not only was this a weeknight(and a schoolnight if you have kids) but that Wed are "church night" in Alabama, whatever the hell that is. I thought that is what Sunday is for? Someone please explain. I also found interesting Big Dog's post that there might have been more promotion directed at Guatemalan fans, which if that was the case would be very bogus of US Soccer to let them get away with that.

With all this said, the local fans that did make it out to the game were terrific.I think the sight of all those Gutemalans really made them get their back up. I was to drunk to realize that other parts of the stadium were standing during the game, and that is something I definately have not seen in the usual places like DC or Foxboro.

I do think Birmingham should get another shot at a qualifier, as I'm sure they can build from this experience, but make sure it's a weekend game, to give them a chance to bring in even better numbers.

As for the Guatemalans, they were very classy after the game. Many stopped by are tailgater after the game to get pictures taken with us. Have not seen such good sportmanship from the likes of El Salvador, etc. As for their large presence, it actually was a good thing. They helped create a great atmosphere, and got the US fans next to them excited. Now had we lost, I may feel diferent.

Many here were questioning how the organization of the event would go since there really is not a Sam's Army anymore to do it, and there is no local supporters group. I think all considering, those that did do the planning did a good job. The Tues night party sounded successful, and it was helpful to get all the hotel and restaurant info about 5 Points South. However the prematch tailgate or lack of one was disappointing. This should be kept in mind for Salt Lake City. Someone will have to talk to the stadium and request a specific area be allocated for us.

It was great seeing familiar faces and meeting new ones yesterday. See you all in Salt Lake, and as for JoeSoccerFan, I am now Charlie "3 posts". :D

12. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I actually went home last night but it took forever thanks to the storm. I was content to hang out at my truck afterwards for a while and let the cars stream out but the rains forced me to make an exit along with everyone else.

Twas awesome being in Sam's Army for the game, getting to be under the BAF. I was wearing the cowboy hat and the PSV Eindhoven jersey w/Beasley and #11 on the back. (Had to go with red, I guess this was the closest to a NT jersey you could get.)

It was great to meet people from all over who came down for the game, and to think we kind of considered it to be in our backyard. I know a lot of people from Atlanta besides me went so that made getting home even worse.

I stopped at a truck stop on the way home and the truckers were none too happy that everyone was driving so slow and that there was so much traffic.

Last night made me want to go out to SLC for the Costa Rica match. I don't know how feasible that is but maybe this time I can drag my stupid brother along. He's a moron, he doesn't know how much fun he missed.

13. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I was there too and it was most defiently a pro-Guate croud until 11min into the game then they were quite the rest of the game. All I can say is that when the USMNT walked out onto the field at the start of the game there was an extremely loud echoing boo throughout the whole stadium. I was actually very embarassed. Everywhere you looked there was a blue jersey and a blue flag. EVERYWHERE.

14. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, then.

I agree, it was all Guat up to the anthems, but once we got to the Star Spangled Banner, it was a shift towards the USA.

15. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were more than 4000 Guatemalans on my side of the stadium. Anybody who was at the game and claims there were about 4000 Guatemalans there just cannot be taken seriously with estimates. If you walked up in my section alone (and there were how many total sections?) you would have found it to be 70% people in Guatemala gear. If you walked up the stairs after everybody was seated it was amazing how many people there were not US supporters to the tune that it felt like an away game.

Low end there was 9K Guatemalans total there, but high end approaches 18K.

I really do not know how anybody who was at the game can even make a pretense that it was only 4k Guates. I'd almost say that was dishonest.

You literally had to look for and pick out non Guatemalans in several sections of the stadium and of the first 10k that were seated it looked to be at least 70% Guatemalan supporters.

16. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the Guatemala fans were cheering for the USA.

17. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    [​IMG]

This side looks like about 65/35 USA

[​IMG]

This side is about 50/50

And I want to say the North end was 60/40 USA, so overall for the night I'll say 60/40.

18. soccrplayr21

soccrplayr21 New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    i'm not sure about the advertisement in huntsville, but i live in birmingham and the radio station i listen to was constantly running commercials about the game, the morning show guys were also talking about the game every single morning for the past few weeks. they were running tv commercials in the area, also they were talking about it on the news, and even the football loving birmingham news was running articles about it. so if your friends did not know that there was a game, then they live in a hole. also i would have to say yes soccer is very popular in huntsville and ya'll have some good teams up there with grissom high school, but soccer is much bigger in birmingham and right now birmingham seems to be the southern home of usa soccer. they should be changing the quote on legion fields upper deck from "Football Capital of the South" to "Soccer Capital of the South" i have watched many games on tv and rarely have seen a crowd be that vocal. not bad for a bunch of hicks that hate soccer, gotta love those stereotypes.

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure Birmingham is at least on par with Huntsville as far as popularity of soccer goes.

If someone at UAB didn't know there was a game, it was because they weren't paying attention. I was in Birmingham less than 48 hours and saw television commercials for it as well as print advertisements and there was also a crapload of articles in the paper. All of my friends in Birmingham said they've seen a good deal of advertisement.

20. mr.acorn

mr.acorn New Member

Jul 22, 2001
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    I just got home from Bama this evening.....All in all, a great atmosphere and a much needed result.....despite the crappy officiating!

Yes, I too feared a repeat of the Honduras game when I saw the first of many Guatemalan flags on I-65 somewhere in southern Tennesse. But the distribution here was more comparable to the Costa Rica game in KC.

Another thing to keep in mind is that opposing fans tend to:
    A:Show up very early
    B:Almost all sport flags and colors
    c:And generally make more noise

I remember driving into the parking lot for the Mexico game in Columbus and seeing nothing but Mexican flags and fans, but that crowd was no doubt pro-U.S. even though you could spot Mexican fans in just about every section.

The Honduras match on the other hand, was a definite "road game".

One last thing to consider is that the U.S. is unique in the fact that just about every nation has a fan base living here....

I arrived at the stadium two hours before kickoff and was lucky enough to meet three of the "shock troops" from Sam's Army. I'll call them the "Corona Lads" since I don't remember their names... (Sorry, I'm terrible with names....And 1600 miles behind the wheel in the last three days doesn't help matters either!)

They were nice enough to share a couple of their brews with me and shoot the s*** about all things football.

Cheers!!

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I know they mic Sam's Army for TV, they don't pump that throughout the stadium in person. The US fans were plenty loud without the help. :)

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But white is sooooooooooo lame.

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Judging from the quotes in the morning's paper, the USSF/Arena/players were happy with the turnout.

I don't know how much this might figure in, but this game fell a week after spring break (for high school and younger), I'm sure a lot of families passed on the game seeing as they probably blew a ton of money on vacations the week before. For a family of four, it would be at least a $100 night assuming you didn't get the cheapest tickets and got no concessions. Additionally, it was spring break week for the local colleges I believe (There are five universities in the metro area.)

There are so many factors that can determine the attendance of a game. Different days of the week will work better in different markets, etc. I'm just about convinced someone's always going to complain untill we can fill up 100,000+ seat Neyland Stadium with Americans occupying 100% of the seats.

24. soccrplayr21

soccrplayr21 New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    i think i just read every post in this thread and i want to say that i am very proud of my city for putting on a great show. it seems like everyone that was there had good things to say about birmingham and that really makes me proud. i don't see how any of you can actually say that the crowd was pro-guat, because all i heard all night were usa chants and cheers for the usa. every single guat there had a jersey on, i would say they had around 8,000 fans there, i know legion field well and i think the crowd was actually larger than the announced attendance of 32,000, and yes many families go to church on wednesday night, it was also spring break for many schools in the area and a lot of people were out of town, so a lot of locals that would have been there were not able to go. i can't wait until the next qualifier in birmingham and would love to host you guys, because i'm sure it would be easier for me to plan things since i know the area so well. i would love to make it to the mexico match in columbus, but i'm not sure about it right now.

25. soccrplayr21

soccrplayr21 New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    man i would love to see that, it could happen though, there are enough die hard fans out there, its just getting us all together, but man wouldn't that be a site to see. 107,000 screaming usa fans in red, i think that might scare the rest of the world because then they would know that our country was finally getting serious about soccer.

kinda off topic here, but could you imagine if soccer was the main sport in the usa? every kid growing up wanting to be a soccer star, with the athletes we have in this country, if that happened then the us team would be unstoppable.