PBP: USA vs France; June 9th, 2018

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Sebsasour, Jun 9, 2018.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Fair enough.
    Only one way to find out.
    No better time than now to let them go out there and play.

2. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006

this isn't a crazy and it just highlights the big problem and that is that there aren't a ton of guys from ages 23-28 to even leave out on purpose.

3. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

It's not just the talents, it's the stint of biggest failure of the US history that I don't want to carry over to the new cycle.

The kids are already geling pretty well together, and they are extremely hungry to show their worth. Let's not bring in those lethargic and entitled tattooed millionaires to destroy a very good thing that's developing right in front of our eyes. So I say, love the f*ck on.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. I’d prefer to never see anyone from the 2018 WC qualifying team starting lineup ever again. They failed and should be moved on from. Particularly when the kids are proving we don’t need them, nor should we want them.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We'll know in the Gold Cup, not before that.

But, the way things are shaping in for CONCACAF in the coming cycle, I think we should be able to get a ticket even if our youngsters are not half as good as we think.

6. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but we need some depth there. We had Keller & Friedel with Juergen Sommer; Howard and Guzan with Nick Rimando. We've got to have some world class level depth.

7. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Only Pulisic and Yedlin should be the regulars that survive the ax. Other than that, the rest of them could never put on the kit again, and I would be happy.

athletics68 repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We don't have any decent strikers. Altidore may still be our best (or least bad).

9. ForceMultiplier1994

Jul 5, 2016
    Filthadelphia
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NONE of them?
    We're all still crushed but that's pretty drastic.
    We're still gonna need Altidore, Bradley and Cameron imo.

10. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    I'd add Arriola and Acosta (albeit in a reduced role for the latter given the emergence of McKennie and Adams), plus Brooks and Morris if either of the two can ever stay healthier for longer than 3 weeks at a time. But basically, agreed.

11. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The voice of reason.

We are not good enough - and certainly not deep enough - to just throw the whole group out and start from scratch.

12. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dwyer's decent. Sapong and Ramirez should be able to play vs. minnows.

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The voice of logic.

We are not good enough to keep them, imo

I think I could throw life vests to 2 starters from the Trinidad squad, one of them being 19 yrs old.

Gacm32, Patrick167 and laxcoach repped this.
  14. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Need them for what? Altidore has a unique skill set but he also has never played well as a lone striker. If the new coach wants to play, as most modern teams do, with one striker, then why start him over any of the others?

The new coach and Earnie need to get an understanding of what happened. There are reports of guys waltzing into NT camp, kicking the ball a bit, then expecting to start. Reports of serious problems with Bradley as captain. This all needs to be understood and a remedy taken. I don't think Bradley can be brought back. Trapp is essentially the same player as him, younger, and better on restarts anyway.

Cameron has been blamed for a lot by the MLS faction. This also needs to be understood by the new coach. Again, probably just easier and wiser to leave him home.

Everyone except Pulisic and Yedlin, on the T&T roster, is easily replaced and in many instances the replacement is a younger upgrade.

Villafana ---> Robinson
    Besler ----> Miazga
    Omar -----> Brooks (Parker, CCV)
    Bradley ----> Trapp
    Nagbe -----> McKennie
    Arriola -----> Adams, Weah
    Altidore -----> Wood (Sargent, Novocavich)

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not to mention
    Howard---> Steffen

Wood just hasn't been good and has no hold up game. Starting off fresh in a new cycle I would look to fill certain roles apart from player vacancies. So I would keep Altidore at #1 on the ladder and ask myself who backs him up/replaces him? I think it will be Sargent because he has great passing plus hold up. Even in the few chances he had v. France you saw him head a ball down to a teammate at the top of the box.

So I"d go

Wood/Jozy-------> Jozy/Sargent

Patrick167 repped this.