Post-match: USA vs England 11/15/2018

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Nov 15, 2018.

1. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the guy is a great dude, but I don't even like seeing him start for the Philadelphia Union, let alone our national team.

HartwickFan, Pl@ymaker and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  2. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I'm confident Adams or Acosta, niether a world beater, could have just as easily failed to defend the middle and hit 2, maybe 3 meaningful passes. Asking for who could do better after a player looks like crap is a bit strange if I'm honest. How about answering what Trapp accomplished out there to keep that spot? It doesn't take an in depth analysis to say a guy not doing the job can sit without hurting the team.

gunnerfan7 and Patrick167 repped this.
  3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Bobby Wood played exactly like he has always played.

4. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #129 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Well more like a W1-0 playing a standard 4-2-3-1 double 6 with Fab given license to play very high. It also featured a high-line offside trap designed to frustrate Giovinco.

It was certainly not as magical or tactically brilliant as the "system" that Berhalter will use to take us to the promised land. :rolleyes:

Jozy
    Shea Dempsey Williams
    Bradley Edu
    Fab Boca Goodson Dolo
    Howard​

Pl@ymaker and IndividualEleven repped this.
  5. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    Canouse.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Oh, and if Trapp isn't a defensive mud, what is he? He offers little to nothing attacking and we're crap in possession. How does he bring something irreplaceable?

7. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Buddy. It’s not my decision. But trapp has played a ton this past year and his club coach is about to coach the mnt.

8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You talk about MLS and the pace of game being too much for its players internationally. 8 of the 10 starting field players for the US play in Europe. Only Trapp and Villafaña do not. MLS was not the problem in this game.

diablodelsol, wsmaugham, WrmBrnr and 2 others repped this.
  9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Sapong had a good game against Portugal. The Union needed a face-to-goal striker, which they got in Burke. The US's needs aren't the same as the Union's.

10. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    No problem, you think Acosta would have brought more to tonight's table than Trapp. Fair enough

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Move Weah to the 9. Done. Alternate with Sargent and work it out eventually. I have not had Wood in a lineup in a long time.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Believe it or not, that was not an England team considered to be particulary skilled. Lindegaard (who scored on us) hadn't scored for club since February, e.g. Others are on the bench at their teams, etc. etc.

The bottom line is that Sarachan's best xi got utterly destroyed by an English B team after Sarachan had one year to get ready. It was so bad that England took their foot off the pedal after intermission.

neems and HartwickFan repped this.
  13. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    It isn't for you or me to decide what he is. Sarachan has decided what, how and where he wants him to play. Has he been using him in 8 matches this year primarily as a DMid?

Now you're putting words in my mouth...never a good look.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sapong was arguably Philly's most valuable player when healthy the prior to seasons. And he's done a job for the national team. He's statistically been a hold-up monster, can carry the ball up the field very well, and run onto it decently, while laying off well. He's basically good at every other aspect but scoring. He's performed well for the NT in his few opportunities and in this match he'd at least have allowed the U.S. to spend a significant amount of time with the ball at their feet high up the pitch. I think he should still be under consideration thru qualifiers, especially if we're in situations like we were where there was some attrition at striker. Sargent, Novakovich, and Altidore all down; you have to make due with what you have. And one needs to have a roster who can fit the needs at that particular camp. It's not just about choosing the best 23 in a vacuum.

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pesky facts getting in the way of stereotypes

wsmaugham and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  16. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh boy, CJ Sapong. Is that where we are at? Yikes.

17. #8or#6

#8or#6 Red Card

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 15, 2017
    Please, Bashing? Convenient? I'm just calling it like I see it, just like you and everyone else who commented on the match.

I'm not the manager so I'm not obligated to make out a line up, I'm a fan who has watched soccer for years. But since you asked, I would have used Tyler Adams and McKennie in those two spots. I repeat: Trapp does not play quick enough for this level and he is an offensive liability. He wasn't able to stop the fast England forwards who stepped around him, and he rarely left his feet to even try. My view, not my "convenient bashing."

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I know he's a MLSer and has the wrong last name, but Jorge Villafana was the best defender today. That no one is blasting him should be a sign.

deejay, HartwickFan, zlebmada and 4 others repped this.
  19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    We can't make much of evaluation of the rest of the team for as long as Wood is on the field. He isn't mediocre, he is horrible. He is where atack goes to die and die fast. I'll take Zardes whom you don't like and it's easy to understand why, or anyone who will chase the ball and slow opponents.

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, that was ruthless. He could have waited one more game. lol Needed the immediate catharsis. Maybe wanted to sit out the rest of the s**tshow.

If it takes leaving Pulisic off for one friendly, I'd be interested to see Lletget go 90 against a real team like Italy. See what that looks like. They are slower-footed and paced than England so it more fits Lletget's style (not that he played poorly in his limited time).

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This is highlights from the game, 10 minutes long.

Can anyone tell me why Trapp is the only one getting stick? Most of the time Brooks(#6) and Miazga(#3) are too late to the action. Those two were terrible in the first half.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Um.....yeah, you think?

(I edited your post down to a sentence. b.t.w., go look at the opta passing distribution for Adams v. Columbus. That's how you play Adams. Armas did something amazing there. Take a look at Sean Davis' distribution as well. )

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...w-york-red-bulls-vs-columbus-crew-sc/boxscore

23. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Trapp doesn't deserve to be the only one getting stick. He is what he is. We want someone to dominate at that position and he isn't going to be that guy against strong squads Oh well... But, it isn't like the rest of the squad was kicking butt while he was dragging.

24. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    because this is what FUBU wants, so this what FUBU is gonna get.

Start caring more about the health of the USMNT and less about your inner-circle power status.

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You surely must know by now that nobody is going to praise v/fana on these boards. But thanks, anyway. I agree. Great to see somebody playing with ritmo.