Post-match: USA vs England 11/15/2018

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Nov 15, 2018.

1. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckerman was a much better player than Trapp in almost all aspects.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think what you'll find is that people here have an agenda and when real life doesn't fit their agenda, they need a scapegoat. The guys who were challenged "athletically" like everybody says about Trapp, were actually Acosta, Yedlin, Brooks,Green and Wood. England was blowing by them like a hair dryer.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    There is nothing in the club or international career arcs of either player to support this.

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Interesting to look at this as a 2 dmid set up - so where was the the 2nd dmid on the first and 2nd goals?

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Watching GCam pass out of the 6 is painful.

6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    We have never seen Adams and McKennie to know if there is world domination potential. 13 months, 10 games, never seen it. We have seen Trapp as a Lone 6 many times (over 700'). Whatever Trapp has been, he hasn't been so good as to not try anything else during a time when we are trying everything, including 18 yr old PSG youth players, Bremen U23 players, 47 players in the 10 positions around Trapp.

In all this time, we should have seen a McKennie/Adams double pivot tried. If people are upset at that good. The better question would be, why isn't everyone upset?

We've basically wasted 13 months and Berhalter hasn't even been hired yet.

Namdynamo, TMBMiles, comoesa and 5 others repped this.
  7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well, you could watch Adams with Davis in a double pivot earlier this year against Chivas and see him lose a chance at the CCL Trophy.

You could watch how McKennie plays the 6 and realize that he doesn't play very well, probably because he doesn't want to play the 6.

People around here confuse a lot of cowboy-ing at the 8 with playing aces at the 6 position. These are two completely different positions.

Why would we want to chain two of our best 8's to the 6 position? That's so dumb I don't know what to say.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I don't think anyone is making the point that Trapp is a good DM.

I think the point is that he's the least terrible of all our available DMs. And that's a solid point.

Of course as fans we don't want to give up and much rather say "X is better" until X plays and proves he's not, then we move on to Y, to Z, and back to A.

9. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Brilliant analysis! Adams has had one bad play all year. One. So, let's use that play to color him until he retires.

Who knows what Schalke are trying to do. It is awful to watch. But McKennie played a very good double pivot for them last year when they were good.

Continue to assign players numbers based on a system that was devised before the W-M formation was invented. I wish I had your rose colored glasses. I'm tired of watching the failure you can't see. Maybe it wouldn't work, but let's see. What do we have to lose? Adams as the 6, McKennie as the 8 in possession and both back in front of the back 4 in defense. Wow, it is how just about every club in the world plays. They all must be "dumb" and your the genius. Magnificent ego.

Namdynamo, onefineesq and bsky22 repped this.
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    What is there to support the view that Trapp is the 'least terrible' of available DMs? Who else has gotten an opportunity there? Danny Williams arguably had the best performance in the position.

adam tash repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I mostly agree.

Try Adams and McKennie out against Italy. I think the Trapp comments have went way beyond just wanting to give other players some games. I think many are being unfairly harsh in their criticism of him because he's a 25 year old in MLS who doesn't play a flashy game. I don't think I've seen anyone state he should be a lock starter all cycle. Some of us think he is the best current option at his position. I don't think its such an outrageous suggestion.

12. #8or#6

#8or#6 Red Card

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 15, 2017
    I also thought last year's double pivot at Schalke was superior to this year's catch as catch can formation. In the first match back in the Bund after McKennie's winning goal in the Champion's League, he started the match up front before a halftime switch.

Patrick167 repped this.
  13. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I read, Weah hasn't been playing for the PSG youth for months. I bet he tears it up on loan somewhere come winter.

14. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Miazga has been benched, or worse, by a highly respected manager who knows something about talent and prospects. That is NOT nothing in terms of other coaches or organizations looking at Miazga. Some of the stuff people come up with here....

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Players get benched, even by respected coaches, yet move on to successful careers. The idiocy posters come up with here. The season isn't even half over; get a grip.

Patrick167 repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #391 Excellency, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    No, let it color him til it doesn't. He was barely 18 I reckon. What am I supposed to do? Say oh let's pretend he's 23 already? He is what he is. I don't get people around here, I really don't.

McKennie never played a good "double pivot" with Schalke. He was always best as a mid in the 3142 with Meyer at the "1" and Wes next to Goretzka in cmid with a couple of wingers.

Adams at the 6 is incredibly stupid when you look at his contribution to Rbulls playing as a free 8 with Davis at the 6. Ffs, go to opta stats and look at Adams' distribution v. Columbus
    https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...w-york-red-bulls-vs-columbus-crew-sc/boxscore
    Scroll down and let it load then check off the colored boxes except Adams and Distribution. Does that look like a dmid to you? C'mon, that's insane.

17. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    I get it. The US looked like a rec side against England because Trapp can't play defense and our continued offensive impotence is largely attributable to his defensive deficiency. Wow

I've come to expect better from you Jond.

ussoccer97531 and Excellency repped this.
  18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Dwil was so bad for Reading in the Championship at the 6 that they moved him to CAM. When he graduated to EPL he got benched. He's ok but he doesn't have Trapp's passing. He's dull as a butter knife.

19. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Next thing you'll be telling us that his "future European prospects' have been enhanced by his no longer making the game day squad. If you were prospecting for a future player, would you begin by scouting someone who doesn't even make the lineup card?

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Agree. I expected better from Jond. Come up with somebody who can play better. Canouse. Fine. He was injured all year, bring him to Jan camp, give Trapp one game then give Canouse one game, we'll compare and move on. Now that's a plan. Saying Adams should play the 6 when he has been tearing up the MLS at free 8 is just idiotic, imo. Play Adams at the 6 and Green at the 10? What are people looking at?

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Miazga isn't a 'future European prospect'. He has a track record. And again, the season isn't even half over.

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I posted the original report, in French, from One Football, translated in the Miazga thread.

When neither team wants you, it's bad. Nantes want to send him back, Chelsea refuses to get him back. Who knows why.

Beyond that, anyone who's watched Miazga in Europe knows he's a limited defender whose best attribute in the Netherlands, where defending is always iffy, was that he could add himself to the attack and try the header.

He's basically Goodson with a bit better ball control, and does not belong in a Top 5 league.

24. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My eyes support it.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  25. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welp, Mckennie has left camp with a slight knock. So another wasted ppportunity by Sarachan. At least Trapp gets to finish as a starter.