Post-match: USA vs. Ecuador - March 21, 2019

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Mar 21, 2019.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I think of when I see "GGG" is a certain adult film genre that's too filthy to describe.

2. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    First off, I agree.

However, I keep seeing these ideas over the years, assuming decisions are being made by reasonable people, and that "coaches know best". I don't believe it anymore. Many thought Klinsy had some sort of master plan, until he didn't. Everyone said Arena needed his veterans and experience, and he musta known what he was doing. He didn't.

Goes all the way up to USSF. They must know what is up with Jonathan Gonzalez, he is still with us. He wasn't.

Why is it any different with GB? It seems he's installing a system based around WT (thank gawd MB didn't start last night, but he will against Chile). What about the past makes anyone think he'll just change it up? I think this is what we're going to get, and if he shows the ability to adapt, it'll make him better than US Soccer of the last 10 years.

And how about MB getting 30 minutes last night. For what? Seriously, why is he out there? Caps record, you heard it here first. 21 more.

Patrick167 and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #153 Excellency, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    I think the nuance is "I've been playing USA for many years and this was the strongest I've faced".

"....he thinks USA was a fast, dynamic team which plays one touch football that is difficult to mark."

I also think he says "we all see it the same..."
    "se armo muy rapido" is an interesting phrase. Maybe @Suyuntuy can translate.

Pragidealist repped this.
  4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Pulisic badly needs to play with teammates he can trust. He looks like a rescue dog on his first day in a new home.

5. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I thought about Robinson too. Maybe some Atlanta fans can say for sure, but I thought during at least one of the CCL games I watched, Robinson played as the LCB in the a 3-man backline (and looked good), which is essentially what Berhalter is asking of the LB in his system. I think it might be premature to give Robinson a call-up, since we're going off, what, a sample size of a half-dozen good MLS performances? But the options are pretty dire, so why not?

Excellency repped this.
  6. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    The cover should come from the LB/LCB staying back and more central and the 6 and then one of the RW/RB/RCM need to come back as help tracking deep runners (depending on which one is in the best position to do that). On the notable Ecuador outlet(s) into the RB space Long has is covered 1v1 each time but where is Ream and where is the 6?

Everyone should think through this, when facing a deep defense with a flat 4 in the back where are your fullbacks, CB’s, and CM when the ball turns over? How is that different from this WM?

The other type of cover comes from the counter press, to at least delay the outlet. I think that was a work in progress. There is going to be some interesting coordination challenges on that side between those 3 players on the right in figuring out who needs to press and who needs to drop.

swedust and juveeer repped this.
  7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Chile should be great to watch anyway. They're not laying down.

8. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Regardless of who he is playing with, Pulisic is a very good player. I think that as he matures, he will get even better. I don't think yesterday was a great game for him. If he played the same exact game 4 years from now, I would expect him to do better.

I am definitely not worried about Pulisic and playing with Zardes and Morris didn't help but one of Donovan's strengths (espcially as he matured) was that he made those around him just a little bit better. Perhaps Pulisic will improve in that area as well.

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #159 Excellency, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Miles Robinson will be important for that GGG system when Trapp spills the bean(s) - hoping it stops at some point but seems to happen once a game. Also with Adams springing forward - which will be necessary to break bunkers - Trapp needs speed help on the counter. Looks like Long did really well in that department. Add Miles and (maybe) Parker who can be pretty good in midfield. Hwvr, Brooks' passing is kind of attractive to have so I don't know what you do in the end. Hard choices on the back line.

10. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    CCV?

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  12. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are several players that can fit that role of LB/LCB. Long, Miazga, CCV, EPB, Miles Robinson (only lefty I believe). Those players Miazga the only that might not fit next to brooks as he isn’t as good in space but they’ll all likely be above him in the pecking order for getting a chance with the senior team.

13. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok I agree with that. The problem is we won't have two of our best players that were called in and a group of forwards that is well......less than ideal....

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You can prepare by watching Mexico - Chile tonight 7:15 Pacific - Univision (fubo seems to have a free trial on)

Tata complaining about SUM here (go get 'em, Tata, cuz our dogs won't hunt)

https://www.fmfstateofmind.com/2019...chedule-and-how-to-watch-2019-friendly-online

15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally seeing the real reason that Tata didn’t get an interview for the USMNT... he’s willing to openly question SUM.

btlove repped this.
  16. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAT?!?! Adams is “our best player”??? He was terrible last night. Literally laughable at times.

Out of position or not, he was garbage for huge chunks of the game.

17. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About McKinnie's injury: Looked very bad (ripped ligaments, maybe tendons and nerve damage). Someone mentioned that Bradley too required surgery for the same, but IIRC it was a heel injury, not an ankle?

18. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    He needs time. They had very little time to get the system in.

It will be interesting to see if he gets more time in that role or if they quickly move him to the wing - where he can take guys 1v1 more and get hit less.

19. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree and the comparisons to Landon are just dumb.

CP is nowhere near the player LD was at this point in his career and I don’t see anything from him that leads me to believe he ever will be.

CP is a good player. LD was great.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We did well and our MLSers proved adequate (Morris excepted).

The Big Three didn't live up to expectation, with Puli and Wes having a bad game. Tyler can be excused because he played RB in the first half and was good enough in the second at CM.

Our attack was anemic. We better pray one of Sargent, Weah, Wright or Nova pans out, because otherwise we may be stuck with Jozy until he turns 34.

The best of it all: the CB pair Long-Brooks looked good, they complement each other, and with Trapp protecting them, we got something going.

Would this team be enough to survive CONCACAF? I think so. Costa Rica A is still better than us, so the fight for third is with Panama, Jamaica and Honduras, and I think we got the advantage.

21. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

The real reason:

Adams doesn't want to play RB, so he's coming back to Leipzig to play CM.

22. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The revision of history is in progress here. At 20 years old Donovan was at Leverkusen with Zero goals for that year. Zero. It wasn't until he joined a fledgling MLS in 2001 that his 'greatness' exploded on scene.

You could easily argue their late teens were similar but, LD tucked tail and went to a JV league where he racked up literally hundreds of goals so we'll never know if could have improved in Europe or not.

LD was great for the USMNT at times for sure and so has CP been. Bummer for CP is he has been on only garbage USMNT teams thus far.

Bottom line is LD was a stud who IMO didn't reach his potential and played in a very early and weaker version of the MLS than we see today. CP would shred the current MLS with similar or greater numbers. The 'nowhere near' BS is just that.

due time and Patrick167 repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/03/2...ams-rb-leipzig-mckennie-injury-jesse-gonzalez

"It’s definitely an interesting role," Adams told U.S. Soccer's website. "Nick Lima did a good job with it in January Camp and I’ve had the conversations with Gregg that have helped me understand what he wants from it.

"The analogy you can make with it as how Manchester City plays. They have a left back that moves into central midfield in attack. Obviously, it’s on the opposite side here, but you often find yourself tucked into the middle of the field being able to help with the transition plays and attacking in different roles. The most important thing that Gregg emphasized was that the No. 8 can take up that position, the winger can take up that position and I can take up that position at different times. The chemistry and rotation between those players will be very important."

---------
    So the #8 (McKennie), the RB (Adams) and the RW (Morris) were all expected to rotate into the ball-recoverer hole during the game, confining Trapp to being mainly a distributor.

This also assumes Pulisic can cover the CAM hole and the RF lane, when the other guy on the right (yesterday Morris) is moved centrally & back.

I don't like it. It takes from our already anemic attack. City can do it because they got perhaps the most lethal attack in the world right now.

juveeer and btlove repped this.
  24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Maybe the nerve damage was heel and therefore not related to the roll over of his ankle which he incurred in warm ups in Costa Rica. Idk.

25. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched England absolutely curb stomp the Czechs. It is quite sad that the team we finished ahead of in the 2010 World Cup in our group, has improved so much, and we have digressed so far. They've developed some really nice players too. Hopefully, our young guys develop as well.