Post-match: USA vs. Ecuador - March 21, 2019

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Mar 21, 2019.

1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The U.S. emerges as 1-0 victors after Gyasi Zardes unleashes a scorcher.

-The U.S. dominated possession and Ecuador was pretty toothless, but the U.S. didn't create a ton of chances.
    -McKennie hobbles off with an ankle injury which occurred right after Bradley entered the match.
    -The novelty of the Adams at right back experiment sort of petered out as the match went on, IMO, because the match descended into drudgery.

2in10, neems and Cool Hand Luke repped this.
  2. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a good test against a bunkering team. And as always, the player unafraid to try a long range shot somehow gets the winner.

juveeer repped this.
  3. markandrew78

markandrew78 Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Can’t remember the last time that we looked like an average/above average squad.

TowsonDad and CU soccer repped this.
  4. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, did we take maybe two outside shots the whole game? Maybe by design.

Marko72 and Bob Morocco repped this.
  5. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    What in ******** is a deer getting out of a car mean.

dwsmith1972, WrmBrnr, dlokteff and 4 others repped this.
  6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That should put an end to this dumbass Adams at RB experiment.

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalter at least has a plan. Thats the good news. The bad news is that it seems to me we are playing the entire higher end core of our team in the wrong position. Everyone wanted to see Pulisic, McKennie and Adams finally on the field together. We did. But I wouldnt have any of them in the role/position that they were in. And that will be a problem going forward.

Ream is not for this level. Yedlin will never be an attacking wing. This is going to be a long, interesting ride. And I am not certain that is a good thing.

gunnerfan7, juveeer, jnielsen and 10 others repped this.
  8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    hmm....what do i say

Ream - Thanks, and good bye. Too slow and mistake prone. Give other young defender some chances.

GGG - Put Adams back in CM, Put Yedlin back in RB. Stop ********ing around and putting players out of position. Go back to the basics, and perfect your executions. You're not a master tactician, every body knows it.

Trapp - Like it. He works hard. A good team player. Good to have on the roster.

Bradley - Good bye. We have way too many options in the midfield. At this point, I much prefer Trapp over Bradley.

Zardes, Morris, and Ariola - Back up options at best. Give the young forwards and wingers some good runs. At least they have more potentials.

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My hot take:

Ream isn't the right baby sitter for Brooks. Ok, with that out of the way.....

The missing ingredient tonight was interplay between the 10's and their respective wingers, i.e. Weston and Morris on the right and, to a lesser extent, Arriola and Pulisic on the left. Those partnerships are the key in this set up.

We will see Roldan with, hopefully, Morris on the right vs. Chile. Having Adams to move up into a press there will help, or Trapp with Adams staying back.

Pragidealist repped this.
  10. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but that was primarily because Adams only had a positional place-holder in front of him. IMHO, Jordan Morris was the only player who looked out of place and not up to the task of international competition. Too slow; too slow to react; touch inadequate; completely failed to take players on. Place holder player.

TrueCrew, Patrick167, WrmBrnr and 2 others repped this.
  11. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I genuinely believe Zardes, Arriola and Morris bring the rest of the team down

Just happy to be winning games again. Defense was structured and killer

Patrick167 and Deadtigers repped this.
  12. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Who would you play on the wings? We don’t have any high performing wingers in general besides Pulisic but we can use more of him playing in the middle.

We also don’t have a high performing ACM even though Pulisic could go there. His skill set for this role isn’t going to get any better though playing on the wing.

Until Pomykal, Carleton, and Busio become more seasoned we’re stuck with someone like Lletget as a starting or backup ACM.

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Intelligent design?

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  14. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Pulisic's outing was disappointing, I'd expect more initiative and aggression from him. He didn't look at his best. Lost the ball multiple times on passes and especially on moves that didn't fool solitary Ecuador defenders. McKennie - lots of errant passes, and a really foolish challenge that caused his injury. I thought Brooks, Long, Lletget and Arriola were our best players today.

jnielsen, striker, WindyCityHorn and 5 others repped this.
  15. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    DY---MM---JB---Long---some marauding left back

WT

TA---CP---McK

Some forward that can hold up the ball and score occasionally

What is so hard about that?

I thought Long looked real good. Given the circumstances, TA looked real good.

We won!!??

ttrevett and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  16. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biggest disappointment: Pulisic. The poor guy looks as if he's been stripped of all his dribbling skill. I hope he gets it back, for his own sake and for the USA and Chelsea.

17. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No such thing. ;) More like testing design.

18. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought so, too, but the slow play against a static defense may be the reason. He had no chance to play in transition, really.

mbar, Bite o' the Cherry and 2in10 repped this.
  19. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t mind playing with possession, but when in the attack try to do so with speed of thought and speed of play. When your opponent is just sitting back (like what we will see often in CONCACAF), attacking with pace is important.

Marko72 and jnielsen repped this.
  20. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been known from the beginning that Berhalter likes to create easy chances for his strikers, in the box. Against a bunkering team, as Ecuador played, he needs to make adjustments to allow for longer range shots.

2in10 and Geneva repped this.
  21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drab, slow, possession football, with a Zardes classic accidental goal, but I think most analysis of the team and players should be saved for games where the opponent doesn't treat us like we're Brasil. Ecuador wasted ours and the fans' time by and large.

gunnerfan7, TrueCrew, SteelyTom and 11 others repped this.
  22. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    Long was a beast. Trapp played well.

While I still have doubts about the Adams role, I thought it worked well tonight. I thought he was optimized.

RalleeMonkey and wsmaugham repped this.
  23. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    1. Why does the obvious always seem to allude our national team coach? We have 2 young but world class dcm's and we play MB? We have a premier league rt back and we play him at rt forward? How is lewis on the roster but Sargent and Weah aren't? I just don't get the obvious misses.
    2. Trapp is good to have on the roster for when we are the better team. His play-making was good tonight. He will struggle when the role is more defensive. He is worth a spot imho.
    3. Where are the adjustments? Ecuador was clearly trying to close the space with 2 deep sitting dcms. The wide spaces early were the answer. And we played Jordan Morris and Arriola out there to create our chances?
    4. Playing a 433 when wide backs don't overlap is always going to create that kind of match. At home, was that our plan? We won't have the ball long enough against top teams for his rt back tuck central plan to play out.

The overall performance wasn't awful, but there are a LOT of warning signs that this isn't going to go well!

jnielsen and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  24. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0 feels about like the right result, though I'd have thought the goal would have come during the first 15/20min when the team was connecting well, rather than in that abysmal-dismal second half where it looked like the second coming of Elvis was more likely than a goal.

The purported holy trinity did not play with the instantaneous brilliance many of us hoped they would, which may well be due to their each being at least a little out of position. It could also well be due to the fact that this combination of players is relatively new and needs time to gel into their respective roles.

The McKinnie injury looked rough on the replay. I hope it's a simple sprain and that his 20 year old ankle will heal with alacrity.

That said, this Ecuador team did not exactly look on fire with competitive spirit, and a better team would have punished some of the mistakes we got away with. The Ream boner [sic] late in the game was something a reasonably decent forward would have buried. (Btw if the number 9 who seemed to be mentally reciting the complete score from the HMS Pinafore prior to actually taking a rip on goal is the future of the Ecuador program that program's future is ... far in the future.)

And it was nice to see Zardes get on the score sheet, since he is a hardworking player and seems like a decent dude. But the longer term effect of that truly freak-of-the-week goal may not be so hot since however likable, GZ is at best a journeyman and I'd like to see other plausible center-forwards (whoever they may be) get a run-out. Zardes always seems to do just enough to remain in the mix for that spot, but never enough to actually inspire.

This was a nice win. We played pretty well for a half against an uninspired but basically competent opponent. There's lots of work to do. I don't look at this team and think "wow the potential, it's only a matter of time before they're brilliant," but I've never thought that about a US team. Mostly it's a bunch of solid players, and a couple very good ones, who play their roles well and raise their game when needed (e.g., WC02). And I can see this group doing something like that. So there's hope. And ya gotta have hope.

Marko72, Mr Martin, manq360 and 5 others repped this.
  25. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin is wasted on the bench and Adams is wasted at the False 6. I am happy to see Lleget get a chance though and though he looked bad tonight I like Morris on the wing.

rlrcpa, RalleeMonkey and Jazzy Altidore repped this.