USA vs Costa Rica: Oly Qual. 1/27

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, Jan 25, 2012.

1. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from Pia

“She has a lot of energy, we’re looking at different options in the back. There is ongoing coaching to find the back four. WIthout Krieger, it’s not as consistent as previously. Kelley did okay. She’s an attacking personality, she needs a lot of coaching defensively. We hope she’ll put that together and compete for a spot.”

2. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Front office? When did the USWNT become the NY Yankees?

I just think many posters exaggerate when criticizing Buehler...and others. I don't remember these attacks before WWC, which was less than a year ago. She was solid for three years and had a few flubs in WWC and then all of the sudden she can no longer play at age 26. I tend to look at the long haul and not short periods of time when judging players. BTW, Buehler started her career before Becky because she was a better player back then. So she's earned her place on the team. Not saying Becky or Engen are not superior players now or that Buehler should play 90 min every game. I just don't think the difference between Sauerbrunn and Buehler is as drastic as you say. And I don't think Rachel has crippled this team.

It's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy, where certain posters harp on certain players who they think are in the way of their favorites being rostered, capped or starting.

3. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    That is just a sarcastic response to your praises of Buehler as anything but a soccer player.

Sauerbrunn has clearly outperformed Buehler every single time she is given a chance to play and she has not have a bad game for the national team yet. Buehler has a bad World Cup and a horrible WC final. Any one who knows any thing about soccer can see that Becky is so much more talented as a soccer player than Buehler. Aren't those good enough reason for her to move a head of Buehler in the starting lineup? Isn't that how soccer works throughout the world?

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me that the US always plays to win. I think that accounts for the starting lineup for CR, which was strong enough to win but not the best the US can put out. Plus, the Olympics aren't that far off. I don't think the US wants to come out of qualifying ending with a loss.

5. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a rocket scientist but also not a chimp. My response was sarcasm too.

Again, I think your analysis contains a lot of exaggeration and little factual support. Buehler had a some flubs in WWC but was not as bad as you state in my opinion. Rampone committed the biggest mistake of the tournament that led to that goal where Buehler/Kreiger were accused of flubbing a clearance. But people still go after Buehler on that. So did Rampone have a "horrible" WC final too?

But I think you missed my point. I said I judge players based on their track records, not on six or nine months. And I try not to overreact to a handful of mistakes. Buehler has contributed a lot to this team over the past three or four years. Were you calling for Buehler's head on a stick before WWC?

Don't get me wrong. I really like Becky — and Engen as well. I would have no problem with either one of them starting for USWNT over Buehler. And I would think when Rampone most likely leaves the scene next year you will see the three of them share CB. I just don't think Buehler is as poor of a player as you make her out to be. I think she brings physicality and leadership to the team and has earned her stripes.

6. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Really? Here's the analysis.

Sauerbrunn is a much much better passer, a lot calmer under pressure (both on the offensive and defensive end of the game), a better defender, taller, and just as fast if not faster than Buehler. She is the exact prototypical CB that Pia or any other coach in the world want, one who can defend as well as pass the ball out of the back to maintain possession and to start attack.

There's nothing in Buehler's game that is better than Sauerbrunn.

Better player starts, period.

All I care about is a better USWNT, and Sauerbrunn is a much better player than Buehler and as a starter she would make the USWNT a better team.

Most of this I agree with.

7. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008

Hmm, I posted prior to the WC (over 6 months prior) my concern with Amy and Buehler on the backline and the general lack of speed. Numerous people as well as reporters did. If you followed the games leading to the WC (including qualifying and friendlies) and their club team play (Amy, Buehler and Coxx were all on same team together) the problems were very apparent.

This is not a new opinion for me. My main point has always been, let other people give a shot..and see what happens..

And I think Beuhler not putting her body on The World Player of the Year, Sawa's last goal and letting her run through the penalty area with a few minutes left in OT was the flub of the WC....

8. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Jesus H. sometimes I wonder if US Soccer reads what they post on their website. Last time I checked, the 72nd minutes was not the first half, but what do I know?

9. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, you insist on making this a Becky v Rachel thing. What I was trying to do was get you to provide some facts to support you claim about why Rachel was "horrible" in WWC. Because I think that has been blown out of proportion.

Instead, you offered your opinions about why Becky is better than Rachel. Not really what I was looking for but I'll play along. Becky is a better passer and has been calm when in there. But she also hasn't played tons and certainly not back to back games when one's legs get tired. When you say there is nothing in Buehler's game you would take over Becky's, how about her tackling? How about her play on set pieces in front of the net? How about taking leadership of the back line when Rampone was out?

I just think you are discounting what Rachel did for the team from 2008 to early 2011 and looking at a handful of flubs from the past eight to nine months. The main disagreement we really have is over the supposed gap you have created between their respective play. I don't think Becky is "10X" the player or that the team is "much better" when she plays over Rachel. Becky had a few scary moments in her WWC game BtW. They have different playing styles and I wouldn't have a problem with a change but I don't think Becky's insertion has been a cure all for the D when she's gotten out there.

10. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's not much difference on speed with Becky and Rachel— Becky might have her by a step. Now Engen is another matter. The problem was and is LP at LB. I think Buehler got out of position because she was trying to cover for a traffic cone and LB. Then Pia flipped Buehler and Rampone midway through WWC and had Rampone next to LP and things were much smoother.

And the flub of the WWC was actually Rampone's turnover on the failed clear that led to a goal. There would not have been any overtime if that play doesn't happen. It changed everything. hate to say that cause Rampone otherwise had a steller tournament.

11. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    This post is full of fail.
    There's not much different in speed between Becky and Rachel? A step? How long a race are we talking about? 2 paces?

In a lame attempt to defend Rachel you attacked Sauerbrunn and LePeibet who are faster and even blame Rampone for something as stupid as that.
    OK, Rampone made that turn over but that was because Boxx did something wrong before that, but even before that it was Loyd, and then actually it was Wambach's fail to score 10 minutes earlier ... So after all, it was not Buehlers's fault at all. It was her mom's 20+ years ago.

12. MiguelNajdorf

MiguelNajdorf Member

May 4, 2011
    I have to agree, I'd put my money on Sauerbrunn in a footrace over Buehler any day.

Buehler made a great play yesterday to shield the ball away from the attacker in the 6 yard box when it looked like CRC would get a sure goal. Of course this happened after the whole defense was in scramble mode.

The thing I see more generally is when the CM's and CB's include Sauerbrunn and Lindsay, the defense seems organized and in control. Don't get to see this much yet.

When the CM's and CB's include all three of Buehler, Lloyd, and Boxx, there's a defensive disconnect that occurs a lot. The mid's are caught too far forward, the CB's BOTH step forward to fill the gap and the other team gets behind them. Then it's up to Rampone to run them down from behind.

Don't know if it's communication, the speed, or just the instincts of the players involved.

Side note: I'm really rooting for Heath, the RB for CRC just owned her. I also thought CRC had an interesting tactic of double teaming the wing with the ball. The wing players were not allowed to get in crosses, and Heath eventually started cutting inside (smart move!) because she could get nothing going on the wing.

On the flip side, Ocampo just sucked this game, unlike her performance in the WC. Edit. Confusing Mexico with CRC...

13. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    It was Buehler and Kriegers missed clearances which actually led to the striker having the ball at her feet 4 yards in front of goal and slipping it past hope..

Regardless, we all agree a players worth is based on a lot more than one or two games or plays.. And my assessment and opinion is based on years of watching her play.

MIGUEL - agree with those players don't click on the field..maybe other combinations would....

I'd take Becky in footrace any day. She's faster the Amy L and Buehler. Ohara's speed was very impressive as well.

Here, see: (BTW, check out Silvia's reactions to Japan scoring!!!! ahaha, bitch!)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C7GUTmPdhQ"]All Goals, Japan vs USA, Women's World Cup 2011 Final - YouTube[/ame]

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I went to the semifinal games last night in Vancouver.

First of all I want to say what an awesome place the BC stadium is, IMO. Located in downtown Vancouver, this building is brand new and has a covered roof that can be opened. I don't know if you could see it on the feeds but by the time the Cananda/Mexico game started the place was packed. I saw only sparingly few open seats in one of the corners. But otherwise shoulder to shoulder and the place was LOUD! and ROCKIN! The upper deck was covered by a canopy that draped accross the roof to where you didn't even notice there was an upper deck. But the lower deck was almost full to the brim.

Most of of the Canadian fans were screaming for Costa Rica and booing the US from where I was sitting in 248. There was a good number of American fans there as well.
    There was also a large Mexican crowd in one of the end-zone areas. Next to me was a large section of chanting Canadian supprters group that people said were Whitecaps supporters. And they kept the crowd going with songs and chants. They booed Hope Solo every time she touched the ball (which was not too much).

A great atmosphere!

If last night was any kind of indication, I suspect the Canadian fans will come out in force for the Final.
    It should be quite an atmosphere on Sunday.

15. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire123, lovely to hear from you again. I see you still are incapable of making a point without being thoroughly obnoxious— or spelling anyone's name correctly.

Look, if you actually read this thread (which probably needs to get back to the Costa Rica game so as to not upset other posters who want to discuss it), you would see that I have no problem with Becky (or Engen) replacing Rachel. The only bone of contention is that I don't see as much of a gap between the two players as posters like BrooklynSoccer or Namdynamo do. Nor do I think Becky has been a cure all for the D when she has played. Nor do I think CB is the primary problem for this team— right now that would be Boxx and outside back. I actually like all four CBs— Rampone, Buehler, Sauerbrunn and Engen.

I just think Buehler's negatives are being blown out of proportion. I'm not attacking Becky, though. I'm a big fan of hers. She's not a speedy CB like Rampone or Engen. But she's steady, calm and positionally sound. And I was quite pleased to see Pia elevate her to USWNT.

I love Rampone and everything she has done for this team during her illustrious career. But even great players make mistakes and she certainly made one in the Japan game. Of course, she was helping out LP in the corner but she did have time to make a better clear and put it right on Sawa's feet. The ball doesn't wind up in the box with only one center back there if that clearance is made. Buehler and Krieger have taken way too much blame for that sequence IMO. To me it was a huge flub that changed the momentum of the game. That said, no one play cost the US that game and we wouldn't have been in the finals if not for her outstanding play during that tournament.

I never said Rachel was faster than Becky. I just said it's not that big of a difference. And I'll take that race with LP v Buehler and put $ on my horse.

16. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    LOL! Really? I didn't see her anywhere in that scrabble. The USA's defense would be scrabbled eggs if it wasn't for her. Why Pia wont give her a rest? You can pull those backs apart like cutting butter if she's not in the game against a team with good forwards.

Canada won't win because Sinclair will never split her and Sauer like she did the 2 Mexican defenders, and Rampone has good balance so she doesn't fall on her face when forwards are fighting her for balls. USA 3 Canada 1, that's if their offense doesn't get gun shy.

MF will look sloppy as usual against a good team but will completely out fitness Canada in the 2nd 45.

17. giatano

giatano Member

Aug 26, 2009
    old brown jug tavern newcastle
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It wont be easy replacing Rampone when she retires, but they will have
    3 yrs to do so. Sauerbrunn should take over Boxx position when she leaves. Passing
    ability, ball control much better than Boxx , Move LP back over to CB. she is currently just not suited to outside back, or Engen to CB. Need to see more options. How about O'Hara. Thought she did very well.
    Heath was weak physically, and slows the game pace down, thats ok if your winning,
    otherwise very blah. Other posiblility would be to move Rodriquez to left back.

18. justink

justink Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Yes, the atmosphere last night rivalled any Whitecaps match in 2011. Having the Mexicans in the stands helped to spur the people in the prawn sections who normally sit on their hands and the Cdn supporters section have brought it at every match.

Though, BC Place isn't new but just got renovated with a new turf & retractable roof. The Cdn supporters group are the Voyageurs but most also belong to the Whitecaps Southsiders supporters group.

19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. This thread is all over the place.

Chalk me up as one that would take Sauerbrunn over Buehler pretty much any day. That said, she didn't look as bad as a right back the other night vs Mex as I thought she was going to look. Had some nice individual defending and tried to get into attack. I will note that Sauerbrunn said on twitter a day or so ago that she's got a cold.

Talking about this game vs CR (on the actual game thread, who would have thunk)...

Whichever poster (sorry the name is lost in the pages of WWC re-hash) talked about CR's tactic of doubling on the wing makes an excellent point. Heath & HAO were doubled as much as possible. It took away a lot of the options for ball movement & ways to get Abby the ball. This USA team seems to generate more attacking/passing ability from the wings than the middle.

Very smart by the CR coach, who, imo, won the coaching battle vs Pia. She also got her team to be physical w/ some US players at the beginning which also worked. Though I did think the little scrap w/ Cheney (Cheney did totally have her arm hooked) was going to cost them. But as the coach saw during group play, the refs at the tournament kept their cards very much in their pocket. I can think of two US players that could/should have gotten cards and 3-4 CR tackles.

I didn't see enough defensive ability (either reading the game/positioning or 1v1 ball winning) from O'Hara for me to be comfortable with her in the right back role. She does have speed & endurance & did catch a CR player from behind late in the game. Of her two slide tackles, one was a little close to beside/behind that w/ different refs she might have gotten carded. She also might have gotten a PI card -- she's got to figure out how to win balls in the air w/o going through the player.

But a win is a win in this situation. We're going to the Olympics and that's to be celebrated. On to the game vs Canada.

20. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    MRAD, great to hear you had a good experience at BC place, i also think the dropped canopy looks sharp and absolutely does its job of hiding the upper bowl and making a soccer crowd more intimate.

and canadian fans love having the USA as soccer "antagonists" - beating you is so difficult and pushes our whole region to be better. not to mention close games are way more fun than blowouts, repping costa rica was the only natural thing to do :)

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    You aren't new here. Don't act surprised.

22. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the report. There's a tremendous Vancouver/Seattle/Portland rivalry that goes back to the NASL days and now is fully revived in the MLS. Vancouver and Portland also have great women's soccer fans. The games are electric, like you experienced, at all three city's major soccer facilities. It's no-lose for some of us here in Portland on Sunday, with Sinc and Sophie on the CNT. I've been thinking the last few days how truly lucky I have been to see Christine play about 50 times during her college soccer days.

23. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    haha

Hahah, I'd like to end this thread with the similarities between USWNT backline and the backline of Barca.

wait for it...wait for it........................

ok. done!

excited for tomorrow. especially to see how that short little fast canadian defensive mid (forget her name) does compared to boxxy and Lloydster.

24. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading some BS threads is almost as entertaining as watching the games! 34-0 through four games and a bunch of the players stink!:p

25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, I had a great time at the games on Friday. Let me say that the Candians I talked to were very nice and hospitable. And even in their booing and cheering against the US they are respectfull. But they do make their voices heard.

I hope that Sunday's Final fills the place up at BC Place. The accustics of the closed dome are such that it can get very loud. I don't remember the US playing in such as stadium before where the crowd will be overwhelmingly pro Canadian and dare I say anti-US and ear-shattering loud. If a Canadian player gets fouled, especially Sinclair, that place will go up in a roar/boo that the US players have never heard before. Not even in Mexico.

Hope Solo better be prepared to get heckled and booed every time she touches the ball. But, IMO it's all good. That's what big-time soccer should be like. That's what a rivalry is supposed to be. The Canadians are playing on their home turf and will not give up an inch without a fight.
    I wish I can go across the border again for the Final but my plane leaves Seattle early monday, so I'll be with most of you watching it on live feed.

But let me tell you, those of you who will be there, if the stadium is filled like it was Friday and maybe more, you will witness one hell of a match and atmosphere.

And cpthomas, being in Seattle for the last 2 weeks on and off and talking to soccer fans I can see why you guys in the triad cities of Portland, Seattle, Vancouver have some of the best and most loyal fans in MLS.
    Coming from a Chicago Fire fan, those three cities IMO, make the best soccer rivalry in North America.