Post-match: USA vs. Colombia

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Jun 3, 2016.

1. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was surprised they didn't get a yellow or two. We had ~5-6 FK's in the final third because whenever we got the ball into someone in the middle of the field in the final third they were grabbed/pushed/tripped. I distinctly remember a turn by CD and another by Wood, at least 1 was worth a card.

2. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Mexican refs rarely give us any breaks.

3. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    We made a lot of forward runs with the ball 30+ yards back. If their defense was less compact or had a higher line we could have made more hay. Instead we had a bunch of guys stretched horizontally across the field within a 10 or so yard lane, bracketed by the defense. We needed to set up overloads in the 3 middle channels deeper, to force them to shift more numbers 40-50 yards from goal and then open up the rest of the attacking half.

manfromgallifrey91 and MPNumber9 repped this.
  4. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A big issue is that Klinsmann instructed our FB's to stay back.

I know he was afraid, of having Cb's exposed but I'm sorry our attack is predicated on FB movement. We have to come out to play or we are will just be wimps in attack. It's too much to put on the shoulders of Bradley Dempsey or whoever Klinsmann is assignning as the maestro. We need to attack as a complete team.

Also, Bedoya was just extremely anonymous. It's striking that Klinsmann has problems just getting guys to play at their own personal level with so man nstances of our players havin absolute stinkers in big games.

5. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Agree to disagree. Excellent finish.

freisland repped this.
  6. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #581 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    Please post a link or anything to support that assertion?

Are you confusing Bedoya with Jones? Jones was fairly anonymous while Bedoya led the US in defensive events and open field key passes (tied).

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    They were both ineffective for the opportunities and challenges presented them in central midfield. Bedoya improved greatly when out wide.

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Colombia are by far the best of the three opponents. We lost the first match in the 2009 Confederations...

I thought he was brought in for his incredible transformative vision.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  9. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They keyed in on Bradley and since the rest of our team is held together by toothpicks and rubber cement we completely fell apart.

Good scouting/coaching/gameplanning/execution.

exref repped this.
  10. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones was busy helping out FJ who (IMO as one of our more dangerous weapons) should not have been deployed in that position. Both their full potentials were wasted the way we lined up.

juveeer repped this.
  11. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that they keyed in on Dempsey. He was the one they were constantly fouling.

Editor In Chimp and orcrist repped this.
  12. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First half if I remember right, Ill have to go back and rewatch it, the did play a higher line until the pen made it 2-0. They just didn't press because I don't think they were to worried about our mids dropping an accurate pass in there and the forwards controlling it. Rest of your points totally valid.

13. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that Jurgen is allergic to the traditional winger. I know Angel Dimaria is cap tied but he doesn't seem too outdated to this observer.

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Ethan Finlay struggled with the Crew during the young MLS season. But he was also playing well with the US. JK should have taken him.

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked like the lone target forward for a lot of the match (which again is another tactical fail by JK) so that is who the defensive line of Columbia keyed in on After they shut down Bradley.

Columbia focused on shutting down Bradley knowing that if they were able to do that it made Dempsey and the rest of our straw house team completely neutered. Dempsey is going to create an opportunity for himself no matter how poorly his team is playing. Tactically you can only limit his chances which is what they did by shutting down his service.

Sidenote: I'm not sure that fouling him was part of their game plan. On paper we had a set piec advantage.

juveeer repped this.
  16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    We needed Nagbe to really take advantage of the set-pieces.

17. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that the strategy was for JJJ to be defensive-minded and help FJ with Curdado but it took him out of having more of an offensive impact on the match. That is the compromise, there is no free lunch. If Bradley had played the way we expected and we did not have the corner kick lapse it might have turned out different.

I don't care about their individual potential, how should we have lined up that would have been better for the team's success?

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Given Jones, aged 34, isn't a box-to-box mid any longer, it was a bit nonsensical to task him with helping cover Cuadrado. Colombia still generated the goal-generating corner along that flank.

As a deep-lying mid, there was only so much Bradley could against a fairly deep-sat defense. Klinsmann should have changed the tactics.

19. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Generating the corner, which generated the goal". Bit of a reach, don't you think???

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Winning corners is a reach? ok.

21. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Given the persistent infringement I find it hard to believe it wasn't at least something COL talked about prior.

22. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps. Maybe they read the same thing we all did: That the U.S. under JK spends very little time on set pieces. In that case it's just another example of good game planning by Columbia. ;)

23. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no problem paying for my lunch.

If if if...

And IMO that's a huge problem: Putting players in a position to succeed.

There is so much that is fundamentally wrong with this team that a lineup change isn't going to solve everything...but it would be a good start.

24. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, that's just solid tournament play from a very well coached team. No attacking player is allowed any space in the middle of the field in the attacking half. They were tough as nails in that area.

25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JK or maybe the players themselves have always linked with MB, is fairly easy for the opposition to know how to break our flow. I think we have two problems here, 1) MB is the main one that links with the defense or have either Bedoya or Jones share the job. 2) If and when MB is going to be the link guy, he doesn't need to come down that far down for the pass, this creates a problem because it allows the opponent's mids to push up and cutoff the passing lanes. So, the big question is, is our defenders good enough to pass from the back to the upper middle area of the field? I know Brooks and Cameron can. So, the final followup question is, do we have the right mids and 10 to be able to handle the pass with their back to goal and not lose it everytime there is tight marking? probably not.

juveeer repped this.