PBP: USA vs. Canada (QF)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Crimson Ace, Aug 15, 2008.

1. soccermum

soccermum New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I think part of it is an age thing. I'm old enough to think you don't disrespect your opponents like that especially at that stage of a game you haven't won yet. Plus it's a blatant grab for attention - sorry Mookie, I know you're a big fan. Younger people probably wouldn't have the same issues.

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree. I'm old school too. I believe in the same things. You can tell she likes attention. All I'm saying is she will be a draw in the ticket office. I can see the headlines now, "Natasha Kai and the (insert WPS team) will be in town this Saturday to play your (insert WPS team). It's kids night. The first 1,000 kids through the gate will get a free removable logo tattoo of your (insert WPS team). Get your tickets today!

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    When I was a kid, one of the guys on the team did a celebration like that.
    The coach yanked him, saying "next time, pretend you've done it before".

4. soccermum

soccermum New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I get you and I'm all for selling tickets. I will say it is that kind of behavior that keeps me from NBA games. Can't stand the cocky, thuggish 'tudes. Let your play speak for itself.

5. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Not really an age thing..I'm relatively young and I've never liked that mess. But then again, I've always been told that I act like an old woman. :p

IMO, it's a lame attempt at trying to come off as "cool and rebellious". That can only sell so many tickets if there isn't anything to back it up.

6. Dogbreath

Dogbreath New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Maui
    Didn't see it(yet). However, look at Tash's situation. She lost her spot after the first game(deservedly), and has been relegated to being a late game energizer. That's got to frustrate her. I think she was just jacked up to score and let a little extra steam off.

7. Mississippi Flash

May 19, 2002
    Mississippi
    The back four played well today against a very direct style. I thought Heather Mitts looked very solid, and she did not fade. It looks like she has come back from her injury.

8. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    I don't care if she did the lambada. Just win the dang gold.

9. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, interesting point. I've always felt winning was the best "personality" and I'll I've cared about for club or country, but might be good for WPS to have a distinct face in ads. How would you market the new league?

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Many people watch pro sports for many different reasons. I watch soccer because I love the game, but many people also enjoy the different personalities, things going on on the side, side stories, nasty rivalries, the off-field gossip, etc. College/amatuer sports are for competition and winning. Pro sports are about winning and entertainment. david Becham's wife gets sometimes as much face time on TV as David Becham and all that means "cha-ching" in AEG pockets.
    When the Bulls had Jordan they sold out every game, but when they got Rodman, man you couldn't get a ticket to save your life. I'm not comparing Kai to Rodman but she does have personality and in the pros she will sell tickets on that alone. I think it's all good.

11. lockhart_13

lockhart_13 Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I love me some Tash, but that wasn't her best celebration routine. In fact I thought it was kind of awful, but I don't have a problem with her celebrating in general. I think she has stated in the past that she has been encouraged to do so by US Soccer, so I think there is some truth to the marketing conspiracy theories.

12. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    She was copying Eddie Murphy's Ice Cream skit from Delerious. ("You ain't get no ice cream, you ain't get no ice cream.") Just the fact that she has watched that earns her major kudos in my book. It's a comedy classic! I can see where some may have though it was tasteless (b/c of the Olympics) but I think if Canada can talk as much smack as they did before the match, then she can throw that in.

13. soccermum

soccermum New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    You have a point there.