USA vs Canada June 7, 2011

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by aguimarães, May 31, 2011.

1. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, ok I blame them too. I agree Detroit in MLS is a joke

2. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW! The US rocks at causing goalkeeper errors against english speaking teams

GOOOOOOOOOOL

3. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ALTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDORE!!!!!!!!!!

He is shit for club, but $ for country.

4. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
    bad defending, horrawful goalkeeping

5. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right to blame whoever chose the venue, Detroit is a third world country, it was a stupid ass choice. The only people left in the city are those who couldn't afford to move.

6. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
    good pace to the game... what's the attendance?

why so caught up in the figures, its one game?

In many countries there's an understanding that the national team is 'everyone's' team, not just the team of the biggest and richest cities. that's why in Argentina, Brazil, Chile and many other places they make sure htey head out the the 'provinces' every once in a while.

why not take them out the more peripheral cities and areas every once in a while?

Yes, Detroit has gone through tough times, and maybe that in itself is good enough reason to take the NT there for a game, especially if you're trying to build a nation wide fan base.

I'm not American or follow the national team too much, but it seems to me that its almost California's team because they're always in PAsadena or LA or somewhere there

7. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To each there own on the Detroit thing.

'Dolo needed to take that himself there

8. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    What a depressing game. :eek:

9. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm sure Detroit was choosen to bring in more Canadian fans considering its proximity to Canada, but in that process no US fans showed up, opps. :eek: :D

10. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or Canadian fans

11. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea... Actually US is usually in New York, the Meadowlands seems to always bring big numbers so I can't blame them.

12. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
    well, in a country like the US especially i like the idea of spreading the love

anyways, the game isn't the most technical and both teams are predictable. but i'm pleasantly surprised by Canada's tactical awareness... technically they're comitting many mistakes, but the tactical idea seems decent

13. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Seems like a decent amount of Canadian fans there based on the sound on my TV (clearly here "when the reds go marching in"). Let's keep in mind Detroit is next to Windsor not Toronto, so I don't know how many Torontonians made the journey.

Either way, Canada only gets 12K for matches in Toronto, so I wouldn't expect huge numbers for an away match. This tourney is really aimed at Mexcians living in the U.S.

14. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We seem like we're phoning it in, and more concerned with the next two matches. Not the worst strategy, but this is kinda killing me that I took off early from work to watch this.

15. HelluvaEngineer

May 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmhmm. Suck it everyone :)

Kidding aside, good game Canada. I think you guys have a good future and I think there's a really good chance we'll see you twice more this cycle after you guys make the hex.

Also, to everyone else: I don't think I need to state again that my post was HYPERBOLE.

1 person likes this.
  16. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Someone needs to sit Stephen Hart down and explain to him that you're allowed to put more than one forward on the field at a time.

17. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

..or that you don't sit back in your own 18 yard box for the first 20 minutes of the game to see how much offense the opposing team can throw at you.

18. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Maybe he should just read "Soccer for Dummies"...

19. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Was it written by the Whitecaps and Toronto FC management? Wait that book would be called soccer by dummies.

20. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No, this was written by USSF guys (excluding Bob Bradley) so you can't go wrong.

21. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy93APiNTYY"]USA vs Canada 2-0 CONCACAF Gold Cup 2011 [07/06/11] All Goals[/ame]

22. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is funny, because HelluvaEngineer is the only person to get a correct prediction. 2-0 he said, 2-0 it was. And the most dangerous player for Canada was indeed Dwayne DeRosario.

While I congratulate you on your prognostication, the fact is that Canada is not and will not be a World Cup threat as long as they attempt to play that god-awful 4-3-3 formation. Yes, many teams swear by the 4-3-3 but it's simply not a good fit for Canada. I know Canada did well against Ecuador, but a friendly is not an international tournament, and the US learned the danger of over-reliance on a formation after a good result in 1998, when a pre-tournament win over Austria using a 3-6-1 formation effectively doomed the US.

Basically, while Atiba Hutchinson can play defense, the reality is that he can't anchor the center of a 4-3-3. Atiba is far too creative to be forced to track back and mark the US mid, so as such he couldn't get involved in the Canadian offense effectively. Furthermore, this isolated DeRosario from the mid, so it forced the Canadians to push up, Atiba and all. That said, when Canada failed to score, the US would then have acres of space to play the ball as large gaps formed between where the midfield should have been and Canada's high line. This was meat and potatoes for Micheal Bradley and Landon Donovan, and both ran the ball very effectively with such space available.

Heck, even with Jozy shanking every other shot, he still managed to score and assist. Such is the space the Canadian 4-3-3 was giving up to the US.

I propose that Canada play a 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 for the rest of the tournament, a dedicated DM is what's needed,and Pacheco may be the answer. Hutchinson should play on the right, where his pace will pretty much burn anybody in CONCACAF, and would make for a great pair with Simpson. Will Johnson should play as an attacking mid/forward as he does for Salt Lake, so he would be the withdrawn forward in the 4-4-1-1. Like so:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Friend, Johnson, Simpson, DeRosario, Pacheco, Hutchinson, DeJong, McKenna, Hainault, Peters, Hirschfeld[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

23. 101st ABN DIV

101st ABN DIV New Member

Dec 18, 2005
    FT Meade, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada did not play badly and they gave us a good game... I really have alot of respect for thier Soccer program and I am glad that the USA won but also that Canada did put up a fight and they should be very proud!!

Now the USA did not really blow me away with thier touch and vison and ball movememnt last night.. I have seen them at thier best and they were tentative at best... I see the USA getting better as thier confidence builds..

Ok.. now that Canada was put to the sword..I wanna see the USA destroy panama without mercy.. I have no sympathy for them and I expect no polite play fromthe USA.. we need to have a killer instinct.. and Guadalupe.. BOB.. no ********ing subs.. lets plaster them properly... really ..we NEED a blow out win.. 5 or 6 goals

24. 101st ABN DIV

101st ABN DIV New Member

Dec 18, 2005
    FT Meade, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada v USA

I think Canada did play decently..
    nothing to be ashamed over..

Remember.. a stronger Canada soccer team BENIFITS the USA National team program.

I think Canada Aquitted themselves well..very well and they did push us a bit inthe second half...

its all our teams fault that we did not score 3 goals... but 2 - 0 is a fair result

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Re: Canada v USA

As has been the case with the USMNT for the last 15 years.............the difference for them is quality goalkeeping. If Howard doesn't make those great saves on Gerba, it could have been a very different game.

Canada is improving at a steady pace, but they don't have the depth of the best teams in the region. They really missed De Guzman in the midfield and their injuries in the center of defense took a toll (Jakovic, Cann, etc.). I hadn't seen much of Simpson or Jackson for them, and both looked really good.

From the US point of view, they've got a strong midfield of Dempsey, Donovan, Jones, and Bradley. They bossed the game. But I'm still not convinced by their forwards or their defending. Good enough against Canada, but against Mexico? Against CR or Honduras? We'll see.................