USA vs. Canada, 10/15/2019 [R] - Post-Mortem

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Oct 15, 2019.

1. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    lack of fight is rooted in greggs sucking.

Marius Tresor and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  2. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Winning the group would provide the barest of fig leaves for this tire fire

Dr Jay, UnitedBorn, RalleeMonkey and 3 others repped this.
  3. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What’s worse?

Constantly being dispossessed all game long by Canada, or Gregg’s emotionless and lost-looking response of being “disappointed” immediately after the game?

Marius Tresor, appwrangler, Burr and 3 others repped this.
  4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    RT Moore, your nation needs you.

nbarbour, TOAzer and russ repped this.
  5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely a Golden Age for US soccer.

Losing, and decisively, decisively to Canada for the first time since 1985, when Branko Segota was playing for them.

Our "best player" gets benched after blowing the only good chance of the game.

Canada gets a midfielder injured in the first 5 minutes, but nevertheless completely dominates the midfield.

We have no playmaker anywhere.

Berhalter is going to get some justified criticism, but we also have a player problem when our left back makes Jonathan Bornstein look like Roberto Carlos, our most experienced players are turnover machines, and our attacking options off the bench are MLS journeyman.

We got out hustled and outcoached, unbelievable how Canada could handle such a brilliant and unpredictable strategy as long diagonals.

We are incredibly lucky that CONCACAF fixed the hex so that we are locks to be playing in it.

However, best case scenario, our traveling fans might want to make hotel reservations in Uzbekistan or Bolivia.

When is the next Women's World Cup? I want to watch a good US team again...

barnabyjonez repped this.
  6. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Jay Berhalter is watching:

[​IMG]

GiallorossiYank and TOAzer repped this.
  7. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Can’t wait to hear about the generic little improvements we made in this match.

Darke and TT are slightly better at piling it on than the fox duo but still don’t have the balls to suggest Berhalter should be fired on tv.

8. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in fairness its usually lovitz thats first off the bench. actually starting the 8th best american left back in mls created a glitch in the matrix, temporarily disrupting the system.

Marius Tresor and UncagedGorilla repped this.
  9. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #134 juvechelsea, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    What jk did was break spades on snobbery distortions and calling out players counterproductively for where they work as opposed to how they perform, which has whiplashed the other direction into elevating subjectivity and perceived fit over talent and consensus pipeline assessments of upcoming players.

The politics and out of context analytics need to go away and it needs to go back to the 11/23 players who perform best when put on the field, arranged in a way to maximize their contributions.

People have been arguing there is no one else but that’s bull, there are lists he has ignored or slow walked. We barely try new people. We send people away to the U20s and U23s who want to be here.

And then with a more sensible notion of the pool you tailor formation and tactics to your best players rather than tie them down to some abstracted scheme that reflects idealism disconnected from the roster

10. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you give that sort of effort for an amateur coach?
    No. No no no. No. NO. The fed did what they did because they still had to pay Klinsmann and wanted to mitigate costs. They had no intention of hiring a coach that entire time.

sadly, that left us with the worst of all worlds. A pitiful coach, guaranteed To wait by his inability to earn another job, yet they knew he needed out because he’d be fired anyway. Just happened to also be the hiring exec’s brother.
    There are. When you don’t believe in the coach, you don’t play hard. It’s universal. And it’s inescapable that it comes to pass. Pulisic and McKennie should refuse call ups until he’s fired.

11. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    McKennie's mercurial play and attitude should make anyone who considers him to be "the future" really reconsider that position. When he's not scoring all-too-easy hat tricks against Cuba-level cupcake opponents and celebrating like he just scored the WC winner, he acts like he really doesn't give a crap. He certainly doesn't play as well as many of the much-less heralded mids we've had in years past. Yes, he plays for Schalke. So?

Beginning to think that maybe even Pulisic shouldn't be guaranteed a starting spot on the team, either. GGG is not the right guy to coach, but Pulisic embarrassed himself tonight with his "Do you know who you're talking to? I'm Christian Pulisic. I was making my bones when you was..." hissyfit.

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    These aren’t attacking mids, they are all basically defensive types

I keep mentioning Green Gall Holmes and others

You pick people who live to create and the space disappears because they want to be there

You pick people to kick 50 yard passes and their notion of where to end up on the field will be different

Midas Mulligan and napper repped this.
  13. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer is a team sport. We don't play as a unit, thus, we look bad and get frustrated. So what is the answer since most of our Euro players are playing at a higher level? The coach is the problem. We are not going to improve until we get somebody else that knows how to evaluate players and know how to make them play as a unit.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to quote myself...but I think it’s kind of the opposite. I think Couva caused a sort of catatonia, a paralysis, a fear of taking action. I mean, love him or hate him, wasn’t Berhalter the most conventional selection imaginable?

Baysider and UncagedGorilla repped this.
  15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    ESPN being locked out of the media rights for the World Cup until at least 2030 has been beneficial in this regard. Without the media rights, they've tepidly begun tiptoeing towards an actual independent, journalistic stance on US Soccer, something that ESPN does not do with certain dominant U.S. sports leagues and their ongoing major controversies.

16. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol glad I didn't watch. This is the worst national team in decades. We have a talent issue but the coach is making things worse.

Pretty sure he's lost the lockeroom after this. A real Fed would fire him tomorrow morning. Not sure his brother will oblige.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  17. smokey

smokey Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Cali
    We looked like a bunch of midgets next to Canada. They were more Athletic and skillful on the ball. Should of had at least 2 additional goals. I saw 3-4 guys on Canada's team I like better than CP. And McKinney is wildly inconsistent. We desperately need Brooks, Adams, etc to replace these MLS dudes. Unfortunately Jozy is our only hope cause Sarge has not shown me anything. Somebody please call Bob Bradley. Mr. Berhalter is totally divorced from reality with regard to employing a philosophy and a system our boys can carry out. What a SH** show. In the past I enjoyed watching our boys win or lose because the passion and the pride. I can stand this Milinial generation!!

USSoccerNova repped this.
  18. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I think that's by design. The captains and team leaders of earlier teams had quite a bit of power in the locker room. Now you're seeing things like a rotating captaincy.

20. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The worst squad of players since I've been watching the US. I think only Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, and Brooks even make any of those 23 man rosters.

Combined with the worst coaching has me worried that we don't even qualify again.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  21. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    It's time.

Mendez, Ledesma, Richards, shit Reyna. Nothing to lose.

22. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this team could sure use a Frankie Heydude-type right now...

meyers, manq360, wsmaugham and 1 other person repped this.
  23. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Ohhh goody! Then we can look like Cuba against Honduras or the Ticos! Fun!

Insert sarcasm emoji in GGG’s ass

russ, Statman, nbarbour and 1 other person repped this.
  24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, he has to be willing to live in Chicago, speak English and be related to a Beerholder.

25. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Rosalind Berhalter?

She might be too experienced.