USA vs. Canada, 10/15/2019 [R] - Post-Mortem

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Oct 15, 2019.

1. usmntfan1415

usmntfan1415 Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Virginia
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am easily as embarrassed as a fan of the national team as I have ever been. Couva was worse overall, but I feel we are lower as a program now than then. Berhalter needs to resign as soon as possible. It’s unbelievable that he took no accountability in the postgame interview.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The only way to save face for the Berhalters (and USSF) is hire Dave Sarachan as Assistant Coach, give him the wheel behind closed doors, and pretend Egg continues being the main coach.

UncagedGorilla and USA-Zebuel repped this.
  3. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    As with most organizations that consistently under perform, the rot starts at the top.

4. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Couva was a worse direct result (US out) but I'd argue the US played much better soccer that night than tonight. Were a bit unlucky on what they conceded.

Whereas tonight, they should have conceded more and probably should have only scored 1.

5. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, by now it is all too believable.

ZipSix, RalleeMonkey, btlove and 5 others repped this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Guys, Canada has arguably the best core of attackers in CONCACAF that we've seen from any team outside of Mexico since we've been good. Davies, David, Cavallini, Hoilett, Arfield, Kaye - they would all start for us. If you watched Canada's games in the Gold Cup, you could see that they just needed to upgrade at D and probably move Davies closer to goal. So this game, on the road, is not an embarrassing defeat.

It was a poor performance, however. And they just wanted it more. The intensity deficit was my biggest disappointment.

7. usmntfan1415

usmntfan1415 Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Virginia
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree with that assessment. The level of embarrassment is at an all time high. Berhalter has to go now.

Marius Tresor and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  8. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to argue on here with people who were frustrated by bunker and counter soccer and wanted us to play beautiful futbol. I would always point out that our pool as a whole did not have the skill or tactical nous to play a deep possession style.
    Do you see now,people?Did you like that?

RalleeMonkey and Lloyd Heilbrunn repped this.
  9. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some observations:

Gregg’s inflexible tactics played into Canada’s hands.

Gregg is making some terrible roster decisions. That being said...who else is there to choose from...which leads me to...

We don’t have enough quality talent.

We also don’t have talent that bleeds for the shirt.

The talent we have feels it’s their god given right to win.

The fed really boned Greg by not giving him a full cycle. He’s still running training exercises, but the games are meaningful now.

house, sakibomb523, appwrangler and 5 others repped this.
  10. kgbman

kgbman Member

Jul 31, 2006
    Roldan and Lovitz are so bad and undeserving of game time in a US shirt that it actually makes Chris Albright’s inclusion on the ‘06 squad seem logical.

What an awful time to be a fan of this team.

It’s just impossible to be even keeled or patient any more.

We’ll never be a soccer nation until the Fed steps in and takes accountability and heads roll, or even journalists for that matter, step up and explicitly ask the “WTF?!” questions we are all wondering during times like this.

11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    you simply don’t understand the ambition and vision that Berhalter has. Open your eyes and you shall see. Did you watch the Cuba game FFS?

12. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    The only problem with this is the same idiots will pick the next coach.

UniversalAdvice and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  13. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's the best coach we've have had in 10 years.
    This whole idea if we don't have the horses to win why show up mindset is terrible. If we are beat out by Canada or Honduras in some gut wrenching matches so be it but Egg has to go. The team is under performing and he is making poor selections.

14. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is all true, but the lost generation of talent and the lost time of the Klinsmann era really REALLY screwed us.

It will all sort itself out eventually but the past two cycles have been a huge setback.

wsmaugham repped this.
  15. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    The game thread and this one have given me a good chuckle tonight.

Nice to see "Mr. Critical" Grant Wahl jump on board. Where's that been the last five years buddy?

Gents - I've been telling you what is happening/going to happen for the last five years. I don't see why anyone is surprised here.

The quicker you stop paying attention to the team, the better you'll feel (yes, I know I'm technically "paying attention" by reading BS, but not the point).

16. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Apparently Pulisic was pulled because he had "flu-like symptoms."

I'd argue in a game where everyone shit their pants on the field, no one would have noticed if anything went awry.

17. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greg Berhalter: Bad coach? Or the *worst* coach?

There are issues with almost everyone on the field, but I feel like it's pointless to catalog the players' faults when Berhalter's "system" so clearly excels at one thing above all others: Making the whole team *less* than the sum of its parts.

I will say, Pulisic is broken right now. But Berhalter has only managed to kick the pieces apart instead of helping him put himself back together.

What an apt metaphor. It looked like the whole team had taken root at some points.

18. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don’t have the horses and Gregg is making decisions tactically and roster wise that are leading to poor play.

Both can be true.

A more prudent coach would be getting slightly better performances and results, but we’d still be playing the same soccer we have more or less for the past 30 years.

It’s an absolute tire fire on all fronts.

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Maybe Davies would start for us. That's it. Not being able to score a goal on the backline was horrible.

20. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Care about the tactics a little, care about the ref lettingCanada play hockey in grass, but just plain gutted by the quality of play by the players in the field: dribbling into trouble, not passing quickly enough not defending properly. Just a TERRIBLE performance by the team.

Winoman repped this.
  21. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, it's no disgrace to lose to this Canada team on the road in a closely fought game, but the quality of the performance was just so poor. Canada could easily have had a couple more goals, and the US hardly had any good chances (maybe just one when Morris set up Pulisic in the box).

22. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that people are putting our *current* state on Klinsmann is *laughable*. What did he do set off a stupid bomb to force all these horrible decisions since then? This is ludicrous.

23. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston, MA USA
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only observations I can think to make are:

First, there is no excuse for not playing hard, which has nothing to do with talent.

Second, all the emphasis in the Berhalter era on his system/tactics seems to have resulted in all of the leadership, such as it is, residing with the coach and none with the players. The complete lack of leadership from any of the players on the field is sort of staggering in a game like this. They seem passive, resigned to leave it up to Berhalter to fix things, or not.

24. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Jordan Morris has been a bright spot for the Nats this year.

25. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a more embarrassing defeat. We couldn't seem to string two passes together. We looked completely and utterly lost in every facet of the game. Canada is improved but they are hardly a world class side. If we can't hope to be competitive against Canada, and we were not competitive, I'm at a loss. It was not an intensity deficit, we were trying, we just looked outclassed, out-coached, and utterly clueless. USMNT is in a bad place right now.