Post-match: USA vs. Brazil: Postgame thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Right now I can remember his dribbling into o he attack but I can't remember a time wher he has dribbled people out of pressure

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Or maybe he's so scared because he plays on such a terrible and chaotic defense. He's more than fine under pressure with SKC. Maybe its because he plays with a more structured defense and for a better coach. Yeah, I said it.

3. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "CB dribbling out of pressure". Name one thing a coach never wants to see or if does see, mutters, "something bad better not happen out of this!"

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  4. ATXdynamo

ATXdynamo Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Maybe he's scared?

I don't usually agree with most of your stuff on here, but I applaud your effort on most of your posts.

So you can't be serious. And if you are suggesting a player "isn't comfortable" in pressure situation on the field (literally and figuratively), then the argument for him to play isn't strong. Maybe I missed something.

5. ATXdynamo

ATXdynamo Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    What on earth does this mean?

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Does Besler have a lower pass completion % than Ventura does? Does Besler have a significantly higher number of clearances against similar levels of opponents? Does he have significantly fewer key passes? Is he involved in fewer passing sequences leading to shots on target?

Dribbling under pressure is redolent of some vague hand-waving bs. What is the end-product? We sure as hell aren't scoring more goals? And if we aren't scoring more goals, why have a crappy defender in the back?

7. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    On a professional, possession based team you absolutely do ... But most lower levels - no and my bet is US players are coached not to almost exclusively

8. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Luiz! Yeah!

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    this is why I don't give the stats for soccer a lot of weight yet. there are things the stats aren't capturing or we don't know what stat to turn to

Bottom line- us wants more possession and risk taking under pressure from his back line than what besler and gonzo have previously provided

The result should be more offensive possessions

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    At this point there may be chemistry issues too.

Gonzo and Besler have not played together since the World Cup.

So, basically JK has made his bed and is going to sleep in it.

I'd wish him good luck.

Pragidealist repped this.
  11. ATXdynamo

ATXdynamo Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Let's be a little more technical than in our assessment.

Brooks, Alvarado generally use more thoughtful, purposeful touches (multiple surfaces of either one of their feet) to escape pressure, putting them in better position to hold possession and allow players off the ball to position in support.

Gonz and Besler do not do this as routinely or as well.

12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Gross oversimplification, particlarly if you're talking about Besler.

Really, I can tell you right now that your problem is that you figure that nobody here knows what they're looking at when it comes to technique, and that's where you're dead wrong. You really couldn't be more wrong.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    When did the Laws of the Game change to award points for offensive possession? I would hope that adding mediocre but attack-minded defenders lead to an increase in goals for rather than the goals against we've been seeing.

Football isn't art; the use of statistics in the game is pretty standard nowadays.

What that can be substantiated is Ventura adding? Seems we've been here before with JF Torres in central midfield.

Mr Martin, GreatGonzo and Pragidealist repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #664 ussoccer97531, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    You'd be comfortable playing next to lolvarado?

I hate saying this to people because it's usually such a cop-out of meaningful discussion, but your assessment of Besler makes me think you don't know much about his skill-set.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We all need to keep in mind that Gonzo and Besler have not played together since the Belgium game.

For whatever reasons, JK has been meticulous about pairing them with someone else (Jones, Cameron, Brooks). He seems not to want them both together at all, maybe because he wants to come out of the back playing as much as possible.

Misguided or not, putting two guys who have not played together for such a long time would be a gamble at this point.

Pragidealist repped this.
  16. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    As to your first question, it's just a style thing. Increased possession is generally a good thing. I would love to see the stats on it. Number of posssessions - not just % of possession. If you want to play attacking, proactive soccer- you have to have possession.

Second comment- Using stats are a skill and takes context. I love stats. I love the increased use of analytics. But its rather new to me in soccer. That means knowing what stats are being counted, which will point to what I am seeing, and even where to find the wealth of stats that exist is not easy. You are wanting a back and forth stat argument. I would love to join with you in that, but I really can't. Some stats that might be interesting. Number of possessions, Number of passes under pressure, number of dribbles under pressure, number of dribbles in specific zones,

Here is one.. stops that lead to possession. I would love to see Besler vs Brooks and Alvarado vs Gonzo on that one.

Stats are great, but what stats are counted, where you can you find, them and how are they counted are all factors. Soccer has a lot of those, but fan access still isn't what I would like it to be.

But I love the question about what can be substantiated and without access to a wealth of stats. I really can't answer that . I would need a lot of data and some time to do some data mining. What I would suspect is that they are getting more offessive possession out of stops and they are weathering high pressure better, leading to better organized transitions into the attacking third. I do not know if that can be substantiated.

17. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    love your questions and perspective

18. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    But when it goes badly, you get what happened to Michael Bradley today. He's probably wishing he just launched that ball 60 yards away from his own goal. There are times to try to maintain possession and times to just boot the ball. Forcing players to always do the former is a terrible, terrible idea, so it's no surprise that it appears that JK is telling his players to do it.

19. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    It's not a terrible idea at all - just a risky one. That's a matter of preference. Jk is definitely a gambler and wants the us to play more free and take more chances ..

Nothing wrong with it ... Some tend to believe that fortune favors the bold ...

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    According to some, if you don't approve of the job Klinsmann is doing, you are anti-possession football. If you are an MLS player, you can't play proper football.

It's unbelievable that some don't realize how much this guy is wrecking our NT.

21. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Not sure where you're getting that. Personally, I have no prob with jk complaints and I'm a fan of the MLS. I dont think he's wrecking the nt, though. Thats a bit hyperbolic for me

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You insist that Besler doesn't have much skill.

What gives away that its more about an agenda than an honest review of Besler is that you keep listing him with Gonzalez who he clearly passes a lot better than and also who he has a lot more skill on the ball than. Can you even give a review of them separately or is just that they play in MLS, therefore are hacks who can only emergency defend and kick the ball far when they get it?

23. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    If winning isn't a concern then this type of thing is encouraging!

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bold + Unstructured = Reckless.

Almost never ends well.

25. RoadBikerJoe

RoadBikerJoe New Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well said - some people slather affection and praise on the likes of Jozy, Bradley and Jones, as far as I think, we can do much better.