USA vs ASM Clermont (R)

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by the shelts, Aug 11, 2008.

1. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    ASM won the game 37-14 but (as always) the USA showed occasional flashes of brilliance. USA fielded a young team with Clever still running the show as captain.

For their first competitive game of the year ASM look very good frankly. They've got some seriously good players. Unfortunately for us the same mistakes, offsides, knock-on's, fitness started to creep into the match and was our downfall.

Crowd was actually good. The tv pictures didn't do it justice as most everyone was on one side of the field (ie -in the shade) while the cameras filmed the half-empty stands in the direct sunshine.

So USA rugby stumbles onward to Hartford for a game against Munster in 2 weeks. Anyone else going to that?

2. Real Madrid rocks!

Jun 28, 2005
    I'll be going. It's only a two-hour ride for me. Well worth it. Do you know how ticket sales are going? Is it going to be a big crowd on the stands?

3. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Tell you what, Todd Clever really played a f***ing blinder. Guy is a great player. Now is the time to strike. I would imagine he will sign with a European side. If he doesn't its down to bad luck, no agent or he prefers to be a big fish in a (very) small pond.

He was the only US player who could have switched jerseys and played for ASM.

The line-outs were a disaster in the first half, the ref was kind to USA and the mistakes we made killed us. I don't think Scott Johnson feels this is what he signed up for. The guy is suppossed to coach a top 20 ranked country but the elementary mistakes were glaring. Yes we fielded a young team but missing two penaltys on the 22 yard line directly in front of the posts by an Kiwi-American and bad throws by an Aussie-American hooker was brutal.

No Hercus and no European pros' (all 3 of them) means ASM really outplayed us good.

I remember seeing Lawrence Dallagio interviewed after back to back England Twickenham games against the USA and Canada and he was really impressed by the incredible upper body strength of both teams. Fast forward to 2007 and that advantage is gone. We haven't gotten weaker but the European pro's were enormous.

Todd Clever needs to go to Europe to step his game up. He could play in France or England. Guy could probably play league in UK or Australia too, he is a high impact player.