Post-match: USA v Panama - Gold Cup - 6/26

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by tbonepat11, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Agreed. It would be great to have a real critical analysis, like the guys on Futbol Picante on ESPN Deportes do with Mexico (but those guys are a little too hyper critical sometimes).

2. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I barely noticed Boyd playing once he came out. Not a lot came up the right side of the field.

3. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I didn't bother with the post game: what did he say?

4. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Hotwire commercial with Holden reminds me of that one YouTuber who reviews custom computers. He looks like LinusTechTips.

5. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Or that Egg made egregious errors in choosing the 40-man and 23-man rosters.

Namdynamo, honest trade, bsky22 and 7 others repped this.
  6. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 wins. No goals against, 11 goals for. First place. No yellow card expulsions. No one injured. What do you want? Almost perfect management. What DO YOU WANT?

7. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Against literally two of the worst NT's in the world. And 1-0 against Panama's B team. Were they tested? Like against Venezuela?

8. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better cohesion. Faster tempo. Midfield that doesn’t play like they’ve never seen each other before.

We lost to Jamaica and Venezuela days before this tournament started. We haven’t reach teams like that and with the way we played, we’re going to struggle.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Fiore grew up in South America. The South American "filter" sees soccer as an art, not just a sport. A US team that just does what it must to win games without at any point showing flair and forcing fans to do some effort to keep following the game goes against the spirit of fútbol, in his (and my) cultural frame.

10. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    They want complete and utter beatdowns every match—the kind we are used to giving throughout our illustrious history.

11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1000 percent this. We can just close the thread now. That's exactly what this game showed.

12. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Well as a long-time USMNT fan, I've learned to appreciate soccer as an art form that resembles brutalist architecture. And I'm not talking Bertrand Goldberg. I'm talking Soviet apartment blocks and mid-century university engineering buildings.

13. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was date night with the Mrs. Tuned in just time for Jozy 's goal. I see the nit pickers are out,I can't believe people in the USMNT have the nerve to critique a successful overhead kick.This is akin to virgins looking for cellulite on models.

This is firmly in the good enough pile.

I don't understand why Omar is on this team. Too stiff. Give me Miles.

I was impressed to see the nice burst from DM before he was hacked down. Maybe he can develop.

14. ClappinJonny99

Borussia Dortmund, Liverpool, DC United
    United States
    Jun 15, 2019
    I agree with that statement. I’m not happy with the some of the choices regarding the 23 man roster. But the starting 11 chosen within that is pretty spot on

Mr Martin repped this.
  15. appwrangler

appwrangler Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 18, 2018
    “Nit-pickers”? No, no need for a fine-tooth comb to see the problems with this team. Horrible touches, bad passes, easily giving up the ball.

The first team is good enough to compete in CONCACAF, but there sure isn’t much depth in the current roster.

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    yet the team was widely panned tonite.

i.o.w., when you drop down to the back ups from the best xi, and put the 2nd xi on, we suck. Does that mean we are thin? No, I just think Berhalter thinks 2nd team is for favors, friendships, daydreams...…..

I think we can begin the answer to that question - are we thin? - by asking another question: Are there players who showed well enough for the U20's just completed - guys Berhalter didn't consider because they were going to Tab's U20 WC team - ready to step in and compete for the starting xi and be good enough to get that job or get the job of back up so we don't have to watch the Lewis' again, or the Mihailovic's or the Gonzo's as back ups.

How about Pomykal over Roldan, How about Richards at Bayern over Gonzo. How about Dest over Cannon. How about Ledezma over Mihailovic. How about KDLF or Llanez or Sargent over Lewis?

Your thoughts.

Namdynamo, DirectK, honest trade and 4 others repped this.
  17. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    a lot of great analysis and frustration even in another less than inspiring win. what stuck with me is the comment someone made in the match thread about how it looks like panama and our squad depth is roughly even.

********. that. shit. we gotta do better.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  18. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lack of a card on the late Trapp studs up high on the leg was beyond incompetent. The complete silence by the broadcast crew , especially by Stu, as the replay was shown was striking!

That is the kind of tackle that destroyed one of Holden leg!

19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After this tournament the C string guys need to be strung loose for the young dogs. There are enough of them even playing well and getting minutes now.

20. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ladies and gentlemen, this man is paid by MLS/SUM to “analyze” soccer.

1144099190718586880 is not a valid tweet id

1144102693197307904 is not a valid tweet id

21. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miazga cleaned up a lot of mess for other defenders tonight, that's the only positive take from the game (beside topping the group)

22. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    pulisic needs be be in the middle because without him nobody can get him the ball being in the middle allows him to go get it.

23. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may have been me who said that. I find it scary that our backups did not look head and shoulders above Panama’s backups. It does not matter that we owned possession; we produced the same number of shots as Panama (7), and only managed two shots on goal in 90+ mins of play. This is just not good enough.

nfiniti and Marius Tresor repped this.
  24. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Not to be a broken record but you will continue to see a lot of the roster change. Unfortunately in some ways the Gold Cup camp was about as much about still figuring out some players as it was winning. That's where not hiring a coach last year bit us in the ass.

Gotta think some of the youth guys will get looks in the fall especially as their club situations clear up, and I'm sure Holmes will also get a look.

While not always pretty to watch I think Berhalter has found some guys who he can count on that arent the big 3, some that he can see as role players, and some guys who will now fall down the pecking g order

WrmBrnr, mbar, Mr Martin and 2 others repped this.
  25. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are searching. But I would say our depth begins to look a bit better if Adams, Brooks, Yedlin, Weah, and some others are out there.

LB is a huge void. And that Mikey is still our best distributing DM is troubling.