Post-match: USA v Panama - Gold Cup - 6/26

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by tbonepat11, Jun 26, 2019.

1. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody claimed that he isn't a starter.

Jozy is literally the only forward to ever miss a chance. That's why all the Copa America games have lacrosse scores.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You went and you figured.

3. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
  4. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you listen to the full ingerview,, he says that Pulisic should start after a coach considers
    options but disagrees with automatic starter status as not every game he has played for USMNT has been great. Again, he isn't saying he shouldn't start, just that the evaluation should be made by the coach for each game. It is a sliight distinction that is probably not worth getting people fired up about. But, he seems to believe status of being auto.atically placed on starter sheet is rarified air that has to be earned over time. As far as Bradldy, he just listed areas where he thought he was better (and where he is most likely to struggle) but he isn't calling him an auto starter.. Anyway, Warshw's MLS podcast compatriots weren't exactly on board with his Pulisic take so I wouldn't call if a MLS thing.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  5. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said, 1 guy out of 4 lightly questioned Pulisic and a bunch of people have lost their minds.

Warshaw questions everything, he asked if Zlatan was good for LA. This is not some SUM conspiracy. He's just a different dude.

gogorath repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Pulisic was our best guy against Trinidad, he was basically the creator of half of the goals.

7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    it was a creative, reactive finish.

the usual critique process is find something someone did wrong (including over and over) as opposed to let's find ways to besmirch something done fairly well.

8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #308 juvechelsea, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Name G A (mins/G, mins/A)
    Ramirez 1 0 (18, –)
    Lewis 0 2 (–, 65)
    Morris 0 2 (–, 103)
    Boyd 2 0 (116, –)
    Pulisic 2 2 (138, 138)
    Lletget 1 1 (137, 137)
    Zardes 3 1 (182, 547)
    Arriola 3 1 (196, 590)
    Baird 0 1 (–, 201)
    Mihailovic 1 0 (231, --)
    Long 2 0 (248, --)
    McKennie 0 1 (–, 294)
    Bradley 0 1 (–, 357)
    Zimmerman 1 0 (405, –)
    Lima 0 1 (–, 475)
    Ream 0 1 (–, 497)
    Jozy 1 0 (144, --)

from the people with at least one goal or assist this year

in terms of who has earned or not

to the extent the argument is that zardes or arriola are comparable it misses that they are regulars called every time and pulisic parachutes in occasionally to get similar output.....as shown by the strike rate. the year (2017) he was used constantly he had a ton of goals. but if you do that he runs down. a player who shows up all year and gets 3 goals is not the same as one who plays a few games and gets you the same.

fanboys love the people who show up every game but when you play a big game you get their strike rates and not a perfect attendance award. similarly, no one lets you into college for perfect attendance.

9. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    My problem with Roldan, I find, is usually much less in the match/moment (like Mihailovic) than on totality. He and Trapp are on the same level for me. I feel like you have to stretch for the positives, are sufficiently armed with negatives for both, and in the end, would struggle to articulate any impact made at all.

Give me players who can make an impact, even if one-dimensional. Arriola, for instance.

DHC1 and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  10. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I think Trapp was relatively inoffensive in Greg's first two camps but yeah he was exposed in his last 3 games. Roldan just hasnt really done anything in any appearance.... and I dont mean that in a good way.

DHC1 repped this.
  11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This tournament is a place where a lot of these placeholder types can move up to contributor for years. There is a lot of talent below them that hasn't proven themselves yet but could soon so if Trapp and Roldan don't make a case soon they will disappear once someone breaks through. There maybe a few in MLS already on the threshold and a youth brigade in Europe being signed in record numbers.

12. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s one of the problems. Theses “placeholders” are given too much leeway. Several shouldn’t have been called back now but they know the “system.” Well their knowledge of it didn’t do much to inspire against Panama B. I know a few are out cause of injury and will make their way back in when healthy (Adams, Brooks, Yedlin, Horvath) but to me I get the feeling that means 3G will hold on to the other “placeholders” even longer.

I didn’t include Holmes in the list because he was likely only included because Lleget was out injured. I don’t think he will walk back into the 23 like the others. Tho I think he’s shown enough to show he’s clearly above the other bench CMs. 3G will likely keep Roldan over Holmes. While Lleget will take the other role because he doesn’t want too much turnover.

sXeWesley repped this.
  13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect Berhalter's favorites now won't be forever. When a coach first goes to a national team they probably pick a few players they know for comfort. After they're there a while the whole spectrum of players are their guys and they want to win. Some of these players picked now will get replaced one by one. Of course like any coach he will still have a few guys that are puzzling but those that get abused will be sent packing no matter how much a favorite they are now.

14. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    National team coach’s also have a tendency to stick with their guys for too long. 3G is showing that now and I hope he learns sooner rather than later but I will not be giving him the benefit of the doubt for several reasons (some outside of his control, some not).

15. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Name me one coach in any sport who doesn't tend to stick with "their players" for too long?

Pegasus repped this.
  16. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Club coaches naturally have much more turnover of their rosters for outside circumstances. National team coaches have a set pool of players. It’s different and because of it they tend to stick with their players for longer than usual.

17. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Belichick is famous for getting rid of guys when they want to get paid.

ifsteve, DHC1 and truefan420 repped this.
  18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    "Inoffensive" in a NT camp should itself be a demerit. I don't care what tripe people say about DMs doing their best work when no one notices; making little tangible noticeable impact at that high a level means you are no help.

He has been involved in giving up goals at least as far back as Italy, where he takes an odd angle to double the ball which neither traps the man nor cuts off his passing lane.

19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's a genius for getting the most out of players who are starting their downward trend at the very moment their salary is about to go into the stratosphere. Cold blooded but very effective. He would not have Bradley on the US team.

DHC1 repped this.
  20. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's also great at game planning for the opponent and being flexible as his roster changes. If he found that his ball spraying 6 was a problem defensively he would simply eliminate the role.

BB would have given MB the brush-off last year.

DHC1 repped this.