Post-match: USA v Mexico

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #126 Susaeta, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    • The starting 11 managed 3 shots, 2 of them on Acosta’s free kick that rebounded off the wall, and follow up shot. This lineup was pathetic. Winning the game was nice, but there was too much wrong to be overlooked. This is not a soccer formation:

——————— FW

NotAWinger

—————-Blob of CM’s

RB ———CB ——— CB ——— RB

——————— GK

• Wil Trapp stops nothing in defense, and starts nothing in the attack. These are minutes that could and should have gone to Tyler Adams.
    • I re-watched Green’s play. He is not a great 10. You will not find defense-splitting passes or see him beat a lot of defenders. But he is quick and tidy, and not afraid to press the attack. He combines quickly, and Adams, Acosta, Weah, and Zardes’ energy picked up because they finally had a midfielder who could connect them to the game. And that is a role the US needs. Green is a connector more than a creator, and that may be good enough for now.
    • The defense was good, in spite of having a Trappic Cone in front of them.
    • The Miazga “little man” gesture was more than comedy. It is part of the game. Soccer is war, and psychological warfare is part of it. Last cycle, when teams took to using Pulisic as a punching bag, the rest of the team did nothing. “Aw shucks, what are we going to do?” This. You do this.
    • I expected the announcers to come after this lineup. They did take soft shots at it, but it gets tiring to hear USMNT announcers both trying to be commentators and promoters. Knock it off. The lineup stinks. Say it out loud, not via DM’s on Twitter.
    • US Soccer is desperately trying to keep the MNT relevant after the WC disaster. That is why they scheduled this series of games. Marketing Money. Too bad they still do not care as much about the soccer, and they have wasted what should have been a great development series on Dave Sarachan and Richie Williams.

russ, jnielsen, randomnoise and 27 others repped this.
  2. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    We dont have a ton of options but we have options.

I have a serious problem with running Trapp out, just about every game then saying 'we dont have options'.

We didnt exactly try to find options, did we?

3. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think it would be pointless just because it would allow guys to play their role. I think that we would get more out of friendlies if players were able to play like they will with the full team.

adam tash repped this.
  4. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Before the game. I said that we would win despite the lineup. This is because after the first team, Mexico are poor. I dont rate the first team that high, either. They benefit from the surrounding nations having a fear of them. We give them too much respect.

The Trapp defenders have to realize that his lack of physicality is a problem. He is who he is. Hes a choir boy. Sometimes you need a little Vinny Jones. A little Wimbledon late 80s early 90s. Jermaine Jones had that in him.

Lets not forget, football is a contact sport. That has spurned many forms of violent versions. Trapp is unable to compete with superior athletes because he doesnt have the tenacity to make up for his lack of physical gifts. We cant turn into a poser football nation, where little flicks and delicate touches outweigh substance.

This Mexico team wasnt a physically strong team and many of the players were young. They seemed to still boss Trapp in the middle of the park. There were instances where Trapp was getting flung around and knocked off the ball. Its completely unacceptable.

5. El_Fool

El_Fool Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    https://www.clippituser.tv/c/plmdlx

Opinions on the incident aside...Steffen seemed to jump in and diffuse pretty well for a young keeper. It also seems pretty hard to argue that wasn't the turning point of this match. I'm going back to lurking, but it seems to me there's chemistry on the back line that harkens back to the "grit" and "unity" we all have been missing.

6. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Forget Rowe. Im a Revs fan and he's not the answer though he's better than some we're playing now. On Benny, Benny's role has decreased since Lee Nugyen arrived. Lee plays AM and Benny subs out early usually. I would bring in Lee to drive the attack. He offers more than Benny or Nagbe. Watch him control the midfield sometime. Yeah he's over 30 but he's still mobile and could help

On the game..... it was terrible.... FUGLY !!! Yes we won but our attack was pathetic again and Mexico only had 10 on the field.. I am resigned to the fact that nothing will improve until Sarachan and his staff of never beens are gone. Seriously... Richie WIlliams? Matt Reis?? What are they going to teach anybody?
    I now believe Ernie is waiting for the MLS season to end to name someone. I seriously hope the new coach cleans house staff wise and ignores everything Dave S has done

50/50 Ball and adam tash repped this.
  7. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarachan has got to go. That first half was painful to watch. If there was any possibility of him being on a list for our future coach, I'm hoping that game removed him from that list.

THHF has been stumping for Green as the CAM for a little while now. I'm not the biggest fan of Green, but I was intrigued with his performance last night. There is still a lot of room for improvement but there's definitely some potential there.

I loved Miazga's fire. He brings a great set of tools as a center back. I don't think he lost one aerial duel all night. He's also a decent passer.

8. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, are you saying those of us who refer to him as El Burro should be second guessing ourselves this morning? I watched the game twice, and I think he had all of 10 touches, 9 of them bad (I know I'm being facetious but not by too much). Unless the ball is slowly played to his feet, he can't do a thing with his first touch. He can't hold up the ball, he doesn't head the ball well. He can poach intermittently though he missed a good chance last night. He is El Burro, and forever shall be. I can't believe Sarachan didn't give Nova even one look during the two friendlies. Horrible.

I did think Old Man Green looked quite composed on the ball and very direct. Robinson gave the game some real life with his pace down the left.

I don't know what changed in the 2nd half, but it seemed that when they came out for the 2nd, Mexico didn't press nearly as much and we took advantage of the extra time on the ball in the midfield.

I didn't appreciate Miazga's display to the Mexican player. Taunting a player because he's short is pretty low-class, IMO. That kid, unfortunately reminds me of Messi when he's on the ball in the attacking third. I do not look forward to watching him develop over the years. He's going to be our nemesis for years to come after Miazga's taunt.

9. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just want a MF who is paid to attack on the field. Pick one of Benny, Nguyen, Sascha,some damn body.

adam tash repped this.
  10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, well said. Miazga made himself very little with his actions. Lame.

11. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good:
    • Another poster said something along the lines of "a win against Mexico is always a good thing", and I couldn't agree more.
    • Adams' work rate is phenomenal. There was an instance in the first half where he got forward in the attack and managed to get all the way back into the 18 yard box to cut out a cross. His deep run and finish for the winning goal was another testament to his tenacity and tactical nous.
    • Green did change the game, not necessarily because he always made the right play, but due to his ability to actually get on the ball and make passes that allowed others to play in more natural positions on the field. He pressed well and wasn't afraid to try to force the issue. I agree with others that he needed to release the ball sooner on a few occasions and also not be knocked off the ball quite as easily as he was.
    • Miazga and CCV were terrific. This partnership has been rock solid going back to the u20 World Cup and they showed much of the same tonight -- pretty good on the ball, strong communication, tough in the air, physical, and capable one on one. They rarely looked threatened and really only allowed for one decent opportunity from the run of play, this all the more impressive considering how little shielding they had from their holding midfielder. I think Brooks and Miazga are the best CB pairing going forward, but CCV is a capable deputy and should we go to a three man defense, he'd be the front runner to start alongside those two.
    • Weah was starved for touches in the first half and looked lost on the field when Mexico was in possession but really grew into the game from about the 40th minute on. He garners a lot of praise for his physical attributes but he may be the most technically gifted striker in the pool. The power and (usually) accuracy he's able generates on his first time shots and crosses with little time or space can change the course of a game. He had several nice passes to open up the field in the second half as well.
    • Acosta was a different player after the red card. He was able to shift more to his more comfortable box to box role and brought some much needed drive into the midfield.
    • Antonee Robinson's entrance was the most influential change in this game. He provided the width that the team desperately needed and linked up well to get forward and create chances. His speed and crossing ability make him a real threat on the left flank.

The bad:
    • The tactics to start the game. It's been mentioned quite a bit in this thread, so I won't go into detail, but that first half was tough to watch.
    • Lichaj is a solid professional and is probably an important figure to have in the locker room with this young group, but he is not a LB against any team that has decent wing players.
    • Shaq Moore is a very good one on one defender but regularly looked like he wasn't on the same page as his teammates and made poor decisions with the ball. He can whip in a good cross and usually gets into promising positions further up the field but this just wasn't his night.
    • Trapp - while I think he's taking a little too much heat for his performance in this game, he offered almost nothing going forward and was a liability defensively at times. He was good as an outlet to keep possession and recycle the attack, especially after the red card.
    • Zardes - could not win a long ball and coughed up the ball too many times in the first half. His inability to find a teammate once he got on the ball was a major contributor to Mexico's dominance in possession in the first half. He did have a few decent moments as the game went on.

Other thoughts:
    • Really hope McKennie is a OK.
    • Even before the Miazga incident, that Lainez kid was getting on my nerves. I also thought a lot of praise heaped on him by Twellman and Darke was overblown. He had some nice moments in transition but the only really dangerous opportunity he created was where he burned Trapp and cut it back.
    • This team badly needs Pulisic.
    • I'm interested to see how Weah or Sargent pair up with Altidore (yes, he'll be back and he's still one of our better forwards).
    • I love the intensity and grit that a lot of these young guys have shown -- McKennie, Adams, Acosta, Weah, Miazga, etc. It's easy to see how much wearing the US shirt means to them.

12. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely about Zardes. His touch let him down all night long. Also, what's the point of bringing Nova all the way over here if he's not going to get game time over to known quantities.

jnielsen, Winoman and rgli13 repped this.
  13. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely disagree. The little dude kicked (cheap shot) Miazga. Instead of physically retaliating, Miazga got into his head and actually got into the head of the rest of the Mexican team. I'm not sure that red card happens without that play.

russ, Xenimus, Bob Morocco and 18 others repped this.
  14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are better ways to get into the heads of the Mexican players than going with, "You're short." The way that player commented after the match (see ESPN) was very classy, but you know that guy is going to pay us back over the years to come.

15. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    The system change was huge and green filled a needed role for that. I didn’t think green was particularly good but him in that role made the team a lot better

16. El_Fool

El_Fool Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You're not wrong, but remember these words in the next hex when we're getting hacked down. Kicking out at a player and talking smack while hiding behind a ref is also pretty pathetic. Baiting someone into a fight knowing you don't have to back up your word is stupid and creates conflict within your team. Matt got inside the head of MX...that's kind of been our bread and butter. L. Hernandez and Marquez were both better than any of our players at the time, but we were able to throw them off their game for ages by playing as a team. My opinion only, but I think Rafa knocked us out of the WC because he finally got old enough to rise above it. Their "interim" coach is a lot smarter than ours, and I would bet he got a talking to. Matt smacked the guy without doing anything to warrant a second card, and his teamates swept in quickly to take the fall. Is it the "beautiful game?" Sure...but it's absolutely how you win a competition when you and your teamates get a $15k bonus for winning a friendly.

Namdynamo, gunnerfan7, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  17. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    This Mirrors my take. I like the diamond for our player pool due to lack of wide players.

The 4231 was much better than the 4141 with 3 dmids. It also highlighted what we lack. Add pulisic to this team and we have 2 dynamic attackers. We need three with depth. Maybe they exist in players not called or players in the pipeline (hoping for Carleton) but currently we don’t here.

But the right system that arguably didn’t put our best players on their field at the same time, got the most out of the team. We haven’t seen that in awhile

6 ft. Leprechaun repped this.
  18. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get the prevailing opinion that Moore had a poor match, or isn't that good in general.
    Most comments are prefaced with "he's a good one-on-one defender, and sure, sends in pretty good crosses but..."
    But what? He's our 21 yo backup right back! A player on loan from a La Liga team. Very good defensively, has played the best crosses from that side in his time in the team, and last night was alone on that side behind an overflow of our 6/8 logjam against a wing-orientated team.
    I don't get "our" expectations for these kids at all. We excuse every garbage forward performance, go on and on about how calm Trapp is, how steady he is as a solid passing, defensively poor d-mid- but our BACKUP right back (after a clean sheet- where none of the threats we dealt with easily as a team came from his side)? He's just not good enough, blah blah...

randomnoise, jjmack, nowherenova and 7 others repped this.
  19. footer20

footer20 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Agree with this but that role was definitely useful. Goes to show that Hyndman should be integrated

20. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saying that he made himself very little with this action is like saying the Brazilians make themselves very little with diving every opportunity and winning a foul/penalty and ultimately beating you. This kid although very talented, was diving at every opportunity, does he makes himself little? Nope, it makes himself look smart, every free kick is an opportunity for them to score. I wish our players would do more of this, you need to get your body in a position where the smallest of contact puts you on the floor, it is just the game. You want to be a warrior and not do this, fine, keep on getting your a$$es beat with this formula.

Namdynamo, Winoman, dwsmith1972 and 2 others repped this.
  21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was like, bold strategy, Cotton, let's see how it works out.

FC Tallavana repped this.
  22. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Epic, but the better pic was from about 90 seconds later when all the players were clearing out and Matt squatted down to eye-level and put his hand back out. That's what drew the contact and the yellow card on Alvarez. That was even more epic.

23. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Its really 150ish Million because they have to be a man. I don't think its fair to include babies and old people so we're really talking men ages 18-40 so its probably closer to like 80 million men.

CeltTexan repped this.
  24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't have this from your "DM".

DM is in quotes as I've always thought Trapp was more of an 8 who was incorrectly developed as a 6.

6 ft. Leprechaun and 2in10 repped this.
  25. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    That was my first thought after the Miazga display. That dude he mocked will have his say, and it will likely be in a competitive game.

ttrevett repped this.