Post-match: USA v Mexico

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Sep 11, 2018.

1. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Trapp needs a partner to help him be an effective player, I don't know why he's playing. He's a shuttler at best, and too slow (and as we saw from Llanez, far from quick enough with his feet 1v1) to be useful in defense.

Setting the team around Trapp is setting them up for failure.

Also, forcing more CDM's into wide roles is even worse. Remember when JK got lambasted for playing Danny Williams as a RM against Guatemala in 2012? Yeah, it's sorta like that.

Deadtigers, juveeer, nowherenova and 2 others repped this.
  2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team was dying for a speedster like Amon to help stretch the field. I hope to god that there’s a solid rationale of leaving him in Denmark, like because he’s just coming off injury and should stick with his club.

3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, let’s hope he’s not eternally injured.

4. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the feeling with Trapp is that he plays the Bradley role without being Bradley. If I were to pick between the two, I would pick Bradley. I don't care about last fall.... We have to move forward. Even if that means rolling with Bradley for the first couple years.

Hate to agree with Twellman but I don't see us having a ton of options.

5. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    A thousand times yes. You really do fail upward in this fed. It's astonishing how the fed itself fails upward seemingly everyone from the coaches, to the freaking head of the fed itself (really? After the grand Mal clhusterflutch that was 2011-2017, culminating in the abomination of a hex we had, we vote in the #2 to idiot Gulati as President? Absolutely asinine), whether it's Hackworth losing to freaking Tajikistan in '07, and still getting to coach U-17 teams in major tournaments 10 years later, or his idiot predecessor the ABMOD getting a gig with the senior team after he made a total hash of the most talented U-17 team we'd had since 1999 in 2014-2015, it would be hilarious if it was in jest, but no, we really are doing this.

CeltTexan, juveeer, USSoccerNova and 5 others repped this.
  6. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of praise for Green- I'd say the big takeaway is his position is completely clarified. He's at his best in the hole. I don't rate him as a striker, definitely not on the wing, but under a forward he at least makes sense as a player (and he actually looks engaged).
    I still think he's pretty average, though. I think it's a "skinniest kid at fat camp" situation- in an "attack" with 4 holding/d mids and Zardes you'd have to try really hard NOT to look like you're really pushing the attack and at least trying to score.
    I'd still take Saief or Pulisic (out of position), Acosta or Lletget over him there.

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. If you are going to have 2 guys in that area of the field, it seems better to me to go to a 4-2-3-1 with our personnel, with the "2" being Wes and Adams splitting half the field.

8. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    This is bullshit and you know it. Trapp was bad and this game exemplified things that he has consistently not done well in USMNT games. Just as people were rightfully upset that Bradley was being handed a spot at CM and captain while playing terribly, Trapp is being held to the exact same standard. If Trapp isn't effective in the type of approach we're using then he doesn't need to be on the field. I don't care how much he helps in the possession game if he's a traffic cone defensively. Trapp didn't find a groove in this game until Mexico went down to 10 men.

9. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts exactly. You're reading my mind fam.

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. Felipao~

Felipao~ Member

Apr 25, 2007
    This is very off topic, for which I apologize profusely, however: anyone with US Soccer membership NOT going to the USA-Peru game on Oct 16 in Connecticut who is willing to share preferred code for accessing pre-sale? Trying to get good seats for myself and Peruvian in-laws :)

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just get rid of the position!!!!!!!

Deadtigers and rgli13 repped this.
  12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a quick aside, it appears that you are a Troopz fan on Arsenalfantv. Is that safe to say? Or do you have no idea what I am talking about? :D

13. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Both true, but also the ultimate in small sample size. Anybody can look like ---- if you only see them twice in two years for what, 60 minutes or so? So yep, didn't look good int he rare instances we saw him, but not bad either. Just not distinguishable and right now, we've got nothing on the wings until some of the kids/dual nationals come in/declare for us (if they do), and Pulisic when he's healthy and good to go. So Saief? He's sure as hell invited if he's healthy. Till the kids are ready, and we call in guys like Amon, Saief is one of the few options that might be competent.

14. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    There are plenty of options better than Bradley. He's a monstrous liability at this point. Hell bring in freaking Durkin. Hell I'd take a 15 year old Durkin over Bradley at this point. He's done as a player, injuries, running him into the ground for years, he's done. Peaked in what, '10-'13, started to tail off, and then fell off a cliff in '17-'18. Time to move on, w/the kids, mistakes and all.

15. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree he probably has too many miles on him. That's the most real thing I have encountered over the years. It's counter intuitive, but the younger you start with professional minutes, the higher risk you are for burnout at certain positions.

Makes me really respect players like Modric and Iniesta.

16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much of an idea, sorry. I feel like I've heard about Arsenalfantv, but I don't think I've watched much. I imagine the host says "fam" a lot. That's just me, I like saying colloquialisms, and I type how I talk. I say "like" a lot too, much to the chagrin of my father.

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the guy Troopz (one of the biggest contributors to Arsenalfantv, but not actually the host) loves to use "fam." Google him. His post-game takes are hilarious (especially from last year).

Anyway, onwards and upwards to the next game. Colombia, October 11. If they bring their best, it could be a long night if we dont change things up a bit from this game.

18. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Wenger out!

gunnerfan7 and onefineesq repped this.
  19. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, it only took 20-ish years.

Now, who's going to bring the "Sarachan Raus" signs? We saw some Klinsi Raus ones IIRC.

20. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would guess too much Reddit.

21. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, I'm never on Reddit. And it started well before I spent significant time on the internet (I was born in 1993, so I remember a time before Google became ubiquitous). I'm just a very flippant person.

neems repped this.
  22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is Berhalter's first game as coach of the USMNT?

23. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    #123 Marius Tresor, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    As much as I agree that Green played well, the improvement was more due to a D-mid (McKennie) being replaced by an A-mid (Green). That was a change to the formation from the last game that should have been made before this game started, as many posters here pointed out prior to the game.

napper, 10 Donovans, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  24. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easily the most un passionate and boring U.S.A. vs. Mexico encounter since Reagan was President.

Still, Weah n a few others went long on solidifying there roles if not out right positions for the Starting XI.

Trapp is neither JOB nor Armas. Perhaps a better Beckerman. Needs more minutes. But damn did he struggle to show to the ball or lock down that #6 role in front of our back line.

Green has aged. For the good.

Still need a conductor, an enganche in Spanish talk for association football. The player that can link our team playing outta our back and hold on to the ball, to then play the ball forward accordingly. A Hazard for our colors.

Perhaps it was mentioned or posted earlier, but this image reminds me n my buddies of that terrific pic of Gooch staring down Borgetti in WCQ at Colombus 2005. When we beat El Cry to confirm Germany2006 qualification. That stare. They just can't stand us!

25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our weakest position is at coach. Like someone said, this started out reminiscent of the early Klinsmann era with 3-4 DMs and creating no chances... and Sarachan is bad enough, but Richie Williams not only continuing to be involved with US Soccer but moving up from the YNT to the MNT is f***ing infuriating.

Earnie needs to get moving on the coaching search, having this string of friendlies against decent competition is pretty much being wasted with Sarachan in charge....

jnielsen, juveeer, jjmack and 9 others repped this.