Post-match: USA v Mexico

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Sep 11, 2018.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    You need to tighten up so you don't loose so often.

chad and Susaeta repped this.
  2. Actually we don't loose often. Just look up the Euros and WC's. Most of the times we go out after 30 minutes extra time plus penalty shoot out in the final or semi final. Think we are record holder not winning the title without loosing one match. The times we actually did loose we simply werenot good at all or the opponent was as good, so that also has nothing to do with that notion playing pretty but loosing.
    People really should put down those orange/rosy tinted glasses and look at us in real light.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    The problem with loosing too often is that it can become habit-forming.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  4. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is just making fun of your english which is a low blow. The word is lose.

Lookingforleftbacks, DHC1 and onefineesq repped this.
  5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    It's English, and it's not just making fun. Please don't encourage him.

chad repped this.
  6. Mmm, thanks anyway for the correction:thumbsup:

TimB4Last repped this.
  7. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dutch didn't really play pretty in that 2010 final, considering that karate kick by de Jong.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Dutch lived on their reputation for Total Football like the Italians lived on their reputation for Catenaccio.

In the last years someone lifted the lid, and found the kitty was dead.

Burr repped this.
  9. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The change that needed to happen under Jurgen should've been incremental, not revolutionary. No one expected the US to tiki taka and walk balls into the goal, but to be able to play out of the back, possess the ball comfortably to relieve pressure on defense, create chances from the run of play and not rely strictly on counter-attacks. The word I remember hearing a lot was "proactive".

This was well within the ability of the players at Klinsmann's disposal; he had one of the most technically-skilled US teams ever in his first cycle, albeit at the tail end of their primes. They also achieved it at times, prior to 2014, although rarely and never more so than when Donovan was in the squad. The problem wasn't lack of talent, but lack of vision. To be proactive, you have to have a plan that everyone is working proactively to implement on the field, rather than reacting to the other teams plan. It's how the "big" teams and some select medium teams, like Mexico, play. Klinsmann never armed his men with a plan or style to implement. As a result, his teams were rarely organized or attractive in meaningful games.

10. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pulisic. Hands down the best in our pool for that task. We needs guys around him who make you pay if you forget about them while you are focused on stopping CP.

I guess Jozy can hold a spot, but would like to see somebody make a strong case for that spot, I think it is Weah. If Saief gets playing after his injury I like him as a wing option.

If Antonee Robinson can hit crosses like that the whole offensive task just got much easier, and room will develop in the middle. I am not even sure what it would be like to have a left back dropping crosses on a dime, even if he has a ways to go on defense.

Patrick167 repped this.
  11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet 2012 and 2013 was the best 2 year performance as far as win % in the history of the program! Must have been just luck I guess?

When Arena took over you said that you would judge Bruce based on his performance in competitive matches. Still waiting for your judgement.

12. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    He’s better now on the wing but fine - we’d still need another attacher. We need 4 including the #9.

Jozy, pulisic, weah and who?

13. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I thought that was well known.
    Isn’t the saying: If you're on a crutch, it must be the Dutch?

Burr repped this.
  14. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    FTR we disagree on Puli.

Wood's stock is down for me. Green, and Saeif was looking the part pre-injury. I hope we haven't heard the last form him.

If Dozy Antiscore is the choice, I wouldn't even mind that no soccer playing Zardes, leading the line and making a nuisance of himself with Green Puli and Weah behind. I am a little worried about Weah since game time is going to be hard to come by for his club.

15. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious what you think that proves.

Nobody's talking about Arena. You're mistaken if you think I'm as compelled to mount a kneejerk defense for him as you are for Klinsmann.

16. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's spelled "losing", not "loosing".

17. Burr, ChrisSSBB and Suyuntuy repped this.
  18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, kind of creepy weird but at least not as bad as those infamous US photos. Not sure why players agree to this kind of stuff.

19. To be different from run of the mill team pictures.
    Edit: and it did get us into the final:D

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    At least they look like funny warriors and not like depressed ballerinas.

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To get into the finals I would overlook a lot! No telling about what would be ok if it helped them win it!