Post-match: USA v Mexico Post Game.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by tbonepat11, Jun 11, 2017.

1. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    GCam MOTM.

Pulisic was lost for large portions but man he can create brilliance out of nothing.

MB with a classic goal but still plagued with the same hospital ball and dumb foul issue.

Acosta impressed me tonight and I have been critical.

Jozy sub was useless.

Wood had his chances.

Guzan scares me.

2. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Bradley, Acosta, Cameron and Yedlin were all great.

The rest was pretty meh, Pulisic included.

Gacm32, onefineesq, CTS26 and 4 others repped this.
  3. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Solid result. Happy with it.

aarond23 and kba4life1 repped this.
  4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Didn't give Mexico shit in that 2nd half. Just the FK. We had 2 of the 3 best chances in the 2nd.

"possession without penetration is merely masturbation"...and Mexico played with themselves all night

JRB92, Werdman89, sXeWesley and 36 others repped this.
  5. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Soccer is not a video game. Players need rest. Players especially need rest when playing 90 minutes at high altitude, and then trying to play three days later at even higher altitude. Bruce Arena knew what he was doing.

SccrDon, jnielsen, SamsArmySam and 21 others repped this.
  6. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradleys critics can kiss my butt. Great goal, almost a second and kept Mexico out side. Man of the Match for me

HartwickFan, um_chili, Footsatt and 22 others repped this.
  7. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to give it to Arena. What a difference in how this team was prepped for not only an odd lineup but a relatively new formation for the team.

When JK tried something similar against Mexico in Columbus, we got run off the field in the first 30 minutes.

8. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Gcam was great. Omar was very very good too.

This was not a game for brooks

Gotta give Bruce some props. If CP gets that last shot on target ....

HartwickFan, seeds, Deadtigers and 5 others repped this.
  9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    My friends, this shows you it takes more to game plan than just say 'express yourself' and 'get nasty.'

That was damn near Doc Brown Back to the Future mad scientist crazy. And it worked.

jnielsen, Beerking, HartwickFan and 28 others repped this.
  10. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Bruce Arena

HartwickFan, (TxT), dlokteff and 14 others repped this.
  11. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only person that needs more oxygen than I do is DMB.

God bless him. At his age, at this altitude, against the quality of Lazanno, just a tremendous over all effort.

jnielsen, HartwickFan, um_chili and 27 others repped this.
  12. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish that Mexico goal never happened but EXCELLENT result regardless.

Geneva and GiallorossiYank repped this.
  13. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was with that silly short corner by Mexico at the end of the game? With maybe 5 seconds left in the game you aren't going to take a shot at goal.

Beerking, HartwickFan, Gacm32 and 9 others repped this.
  14. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Very good result, very good but not great performance. The formation worked really well, I think, really limited Mexico's chances. But Mexico did a good job of snuffing out our counters and defended well when they had to. High marks for Bruce, but you wonder just a little bit about the players not having enough time with each other in this formation, particularly the trio of Ream, Gonzalez, and Cameron. Backline miscommunications happened, but the guys mostly got away with them or just made good plays anyway.

15. JHickman

JHickman Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Southeast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena with a giant plateful of shut the fvck up.

shinpath, wixson7, El-ahrairah and 27 others repped this.
  16. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought all 3 CBs did the damn thing. Silk Chocolate, Wood, and Arriola had a difficult job to do tonight, but their effort can't be questioned. All credit to Arena. 7 games unbeaten since the change.

Beerking, dlokteff, Ironduke3 and 4 others repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Boring game. This was the type of game where possession stats don't matter. Very even game, neither team had many good chances.

dna77054, Gacm32 and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  18. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I mean, the FIFA series has had "players get tired throughout the season" programmed into the game since 2004...

wixson7, sXeWesley, Fifty and 6 others repped this.
  19. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Somewhat ugly but hard-won tie! Old-school US performance. Well done boys!

I said before the game that there was more wisdom in this lineup than was obvious. Well done Bruce, although I think the subs could have been managed better.

I think Cameron, Bradley and Yedlin had solid games and think some of the players we were worried about stepped up as well.

Didn't like the ref very much. Not sure how Yedlin gets a yellow for persistent infringement but Salcedo gets nothing for several fouls including two flagrant elbows. You expect consistency in officiating.

Qualification looking much better than it did before Bruce took over.

20. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish Bobby could have buried that one...instead we get the counter that leads to the tie. Oh well.

Under the circumstances though, I'll take the point.

I was skeptical of the 3 CB look, but Cameron was a beast, Gonzalez dominated in the air and for the first time I can remember Ream didn't have moments that scared the shit out of me.

Of the young guys, Acosta did better than Arriola. I'd like more of a look at both at the Gold Cup.

Pulisic couldn't really find the game. Had a couple chances though.

Qualification still isn't remotely assured, but I feel a lot better after getting 8 points the last 4 games.

21. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    That was a lucky point earned by Mexico looking like we did against T&T in terms of tempo.

We are very fortunate they made an idiotic mental mistake early because we created nothing after.

And you cannot tell me that Altidore jogging around is a better option than Dempsey for 15 minutes.

22. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fernando Fiore is drunk.

dredgfan and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  23. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    My MOTM: Bruce Arena.

Yeah, I know. But too many field players did some really nice work tonight for me to be able to pick one. Everybody did their jobs.

24. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    1. Most defensive cohesion and discipline this team has had in some years. Mexico played almost the entire game sideline-to-sideline. For that gameplan, that's exactly what you want to see.

2. My MOTM would split between Cameron and Yedlin. I could get detailed here, but for quick postgame purposes: they shut it down. Yedlin especially was asked to lock down a lot on his own since Arriola didn't help back often. Up to the task.

3. Two things can be true: Christian Pulisic struggled mightily, and Christian Pulisic was never going to look good tonight. This gameplan was a non-starter for a #10. Don't make too much of his work on the attacking end, although it could be sharper of course. He did his work defensively. Game wasn't built for him to shine. Still, hopefully he realizes what CONCACAF means for him now.

4. Related to that last point: CONCACAF refs feel like they're at an all-time low. And that's a low bar to clear. How Yedlin draws the YC but Salcedo isn't even approached once is beyond me. Embarrassing job by this crew, but par for the course.

5. Anyone else kinda chuckle when it was explained Guzan got the start because Arena envisioned the GK needing to play the ball long tonight? At what point did Guzan complete a successful long punt/pass? Needless to say, Howard > Guzan.

6. Happy for Michael Bradley. I don't know that one match can be vindication for a struggle streak as long as his, but it was a helluva effort, and I think he's starting to build a little momentum with this national team. Last three matches have gone blah to OK to good. JMO obviously. But should be less noise about removing him from the XI.

7. I was happy with Acosta's performance outside of Mexico's goal.

8. I was not happy to see Omar Gonzalez in this lineup, and hope that was a one-time park-the-bus thing. It's hard for me to watch tall players who struggle in the aerial game on set pieces as much as he does. But then I'm biased ... I was a short winger who begrudged any tall CBs who couldn't get their giant frames on the end of a damn cross.

9. That was a ROUGH outing for Bobby Wood. Started strong (literally) but that whiff was awful, and he struggled to find dangerous positions beyond that. You just can't be a #9 who misses the chances he missed tonight.

10. Make no mistake, USMNT extremely fortunate to escape with one point here. I don't feel like Arena did anything tactically brilliant, though I will give him credit for having the defensive end far more organized than Klinsmann would have ever had it. Still, it took a golazo from Michael Bradley and an inch of woodwork against Mexico to keep this level. You can enjoy the result, but don't let it mask the work USMNT still very much needs to put in.

(I might suggest a few combination & finishing sessions...)

dcole, DHC1, wixson7 and 6 others repped this.
  25. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey @Excellency how did that scrub Acosta do tonight?