USA v. Mexico post game thread [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by giffenbone, Aug 10, 2011.

1. RiceBubble

RiceBubble Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't think it's a matter of starting the best players in our player pool, per say, but putting out a lineup that has chemistry and can complement each other.

2. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    when Adu, Dempsey and Donovan are on the field, they move and pass and are dangerous. Benny falls into this category as well. I never understood why Bob didnt play a team that could move and pass more, instead of hold, backpass, punt, rush.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    All things said, it must have been a difficult game for Mike. Think about it, for a minute. If I were in his shoes, I'd felt too much under pressure, on one side to prove that I deserve to start, on the other trying to pay respect to my dad's ideas about the team.

4. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    Junior's been a pro for a long time. He knows it's a business, and if he was paying attention to the team's performances, I am sure the decision was not a surprise. Junior is no longer an automatic starter, so hopefully he's focused on his own performance.

5. miguel9

miguel9 Member

May 1, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    ESPN is a joke, I missed the first 30min of this game because they had a little league game on instead of the USvsMex... could've been worse too since that game was still in the 6th ining when the finally decided to switch over. The really need to wake up over there.

6. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game was begun on ESPN news

and there are only 6 innings in a little league game.

7. profeacutec

profeacutec BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 6, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fine for people that get ESPN news or can get ESPN 3 on the computer but with my backwater cable system I can do neither of these. Why couldn't they finish the game on ESPN news and start the soccer game on ESPN 2? Oh because ESPN hates soccer!

8. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    He needs to worry less about his Men's National Team Standing and get into a good professional team environment. If he doesn't play consistently for 1-2 yrs I hope he realizes his MNT playing time will be greatly affected ala Adu, Altidore, etc. Season is about to start and he has no team.

9. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or because they follow the exact same procedure for every sporting event at every level that appears on every one of their networks. I have never seen them not finish a live sporting event before switching over. The exception being if they switch to another event of the same genre (i.e college basketball to college basketball.)

Keep thinking that the only networks that has given the USMNT/MLS any national exposure at all for the past, oh, 17 years or so, hates soccer.

10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't hate soccer but you must question their judgment in scheduling this small a window for the LL game.6 innings in 2 hours is pretty rare from what I've seen over the years.

11. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone posted how the new coach new lineup should not cause confusion even with half of a new team. The players and coach all commented on just that post-game, however.

It was great to see the players given a little freedom to really play, that's exactly how I thought BB might be limiting us with his soccer brain.

12. KHenry14

KHenry14 Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess like a lot of us, I was just shocked at the last 25 minutes. Fans of the USMNT are just not used to that type of play, and it was a distinct pleasure to see. One wonders how Duece and Stu will play in a truly attacking side, as it fits their games.

I've watched Brek Shea just get better and better for FCD, so it's no surprise to me that he'd be able to transition to the big boys. One has to think his time in MLS may be coming to a close soon.

This was the best i've seen from Aguadelo in a long time. He caused havoc for the Tri's, his run from the back third and then his pass to Rogers was just a sight to behold.

And yes, the team will be better down the line. Lichaj will likely take the LB role, Chandler will be given a chance at RB at some point. Omar Gonzalez will challenge for a CB role. And Mo Edu will clog up the midfield.

I must say I'm a lot more optimistic than I was a month ago.

13. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that's a given at all. Some guys just peak below international level. They'll be good club players but not meant for the international game.

14. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always thought 20 minutes per inning was a pretty standard time slot (except for AL baseball back in the 90's) for pretty much all baseball games.

16. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann did a great job in the game. The substitutions were spot on but the improvement of the defense was the best part of his debut. Not all the players did a great job individually in the defense, but collectively they were strong.

The cover, balance, shape, and spacing were all significantly better than just about any of our performances over the Bradley era - and this was with just a couple of practices in 3 days!! That was always one of my biggest complaints (other than player selection) with Bob's teams.

I can't wait until Klinsmann has the team in camp for an extended period of time! Great job so far!

17. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the regional which was playing, if you go to the box score, you will see only 2 of 10 games went less than 2 hours:

http://llbsoutheast.bbstats.pointstreak.com/scoreboard.html?leagueid=679

It should have been a 2.5 window. Plus there always is 5 minutes of pre and post game too.

18. atxfutbol14

atxfutbol14 New Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I completely agree with you, games do not last 20 minutes. But guess what? The Mexican team also knows that, that is why they destroyed the USMNT after they were down 0-2 in the first 20 minutes of the 2011 Gold Cup Final ( a game that actually meant something). ;)

19. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you realize you're talking to another Mexico supporter and that you're making the same point he is?

20. StevenTacle

StevenTacle New Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL..

Newbie?

21. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first one will be useful if Klinsy goes apeshit on his assistants one day.