Post-match: USA v France

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by FirstStar, Jun 9, 2018.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Except that Howard is always in freaking out mode and Steffen is as calm as a keeper can be.

2. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Atlanta has other transfer options, but end with him. Also, I know he is limited, but so does our other candidates even Adams has weakness. We talk about finding a better combo at midfield, and he is definitely an option.

3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Obviously not, but I'm not writing a doctoral thesis on him here. Bad extrapolation.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miazga is not in the same conversation as EPB as a passer. And I am someone who really likes Miazga.

5. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I called for at least 5 goals from France and 2 or less shots from USA. Let’s be honest, you really think France was playing all out? Honestly, think about it, a week away from start of the WC, France was playing at 50%, main priority was for them not to get hurt. Do you really think our young kids are just as good as France, they are equally as good? 69%vs 31% possession and 19(8) vs 2(1) shots

6. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because club overpaid and wants to get some sort of return?

7. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

My guess is these kids always believed. It was the old farts he and his buddy Bruce played that never did.

juveeer, Patrick167 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Do you see the DIFFERENCE?

France used ALL their subs. Did we need to save 1 for a rainy day?

neems and sXeWesley repped this.
  9. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he can't produce on the MLS level...

...and so far this season, he hasn't...

What is out there to indicate he'll be able to produce at the International level?

Heck, if one MLS assist qualifies a guy as National Team Useful, it's past time to bring in Christian Ramirez and Miguel Ibarra again.

(Yeah, I'm a Loon Homer...so sue me) :)

10. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dave failed to do one thing which is absolutely required of a genuine caretaker coach... to admit he is a caretaker and not divert his interim role into one aimed at becoming the permanent coach. These last three matches he has finally done what he should have been doing from the start- bringing in many new faces and tilling the ground for our future. But he squandered a better part of a year on instead setting out ordinary, familiar, more experienced players with open intent to get "results" as part of his case for having the interim removed.
    So although I respect him for finally doing it the right way, and of course always better late than never, Dave has not done all you can ask from a caretaker coach.

11. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    You're just wrong about Nagbe. He'd have a couple more this year if not for Martinez never knowing where the offside line is.

12. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's too bad. I'd love to read what other ridiculous things you'd have to say.

13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Nagbe has been the key to all that production from other guys on his team for much of the season. He does his job in Atlanta very well imo.

CA23, deejay and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  14. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the Corona experiment is done. He’s just not good enough. I’m hoping he was only there because Delgado was injured at the start of camp. Going forward, I’d rather have someone else as the emergency/fill in CM.

I’ll admit that I had France winning this one 4-0. But in fairness, and not to be Debbie Downer, but they easily could’ve run away. Griezmann missed the goal on a wide open shot, Mbappe whiffed on a ball right in front of goal, Pogba hit the post with another open shot. We played well defensively and everyone stayed together for the most part, but this was not a good performance from France. Any time you play against a bunker, you have to take the chances you’re given and they didn’t do that.

FC Tallavana repped this.
  15. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Use goal/assist stats to filter players of all positions? ...

Then will trapp has 0/0 this season.

jjmack repped this.
  16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #116 thedukeofsoccer, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Regulars going forward:

- McKennie had a mediocre camp, but was probably tired. He earned enough faith previously
    - Adams covered a lot of ground, was aggressive with his passing, and didn't make big mistakes. Although his physicality and vision isn't ideal for the middle. Think he's best used as a rb, but versatile player.
    - Weah was raw but had ideas and dynamism we probably need going fw. Important to hook up w/ right club next season on loan. Watch for that.
    - Parker was a big mover this camp. Rose to the level as he did v. Colombia in Olympic qualifying. Very alert defender and rugged.
    - Miazga is another cb who showed his dependability, and he has more talent/physical tools. Just struggles in space. Pair w/ smaller, quicker ball-playing cb.
    - Robinson showed recovery speed and crossing first match, combo play and better awareness the second. Put it together and there's a promising lb going fw.

Question marks:

- Green can finish but the rest of his game is pretty bad. He has tunnel vision.
    - CCV is a half step behind reading the game, while the physicality he had as a youth doesn't translate against men.
    - EPB's good at clearing his area and has recovery speed but has occasional mental lapse, not big, and don't know if he's good enough w/ ball at his feet to be ball-playing cb. Still think he's ideally a 6 and want to see him in that Trapp role before commenting on his USNT future.
    - Moore has awareness issues and problems with vision but shows flashy of basic accurate crosses and recovery speed.
    - Trapp bounced back today and showed some scrap + quicker passing which imo were lacking in previous matches.
    - Sargent, Novakovich, Parks, Zimmerman, Saief, and Bono simply didn't play enough to get firm read on them as internationals. Only so much time in games.

Played out of conversation:

- Rubin is a nice story to get this far, but not international quality.
    - Hamid after all this time is still lacking in instinct and ability to play out of the back. Good we finally found out. This was the only way.
    - Olosunde I'll throw in here because he never should have been called up off his pro performance. Needs to play senior team football somewhere finally.

17. HalaMadrid7

HalaMadrid7 New Member

Real Madrid
    Germany
    Jun 9, 2018
    Great game today

juveeer and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  18. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes, "production"... Hey, Wondo is really good at production. I bet he'll be the most useful player for the national team. :rolleyes: Nagbe plays a role for Atlanta that helps the team be successful even if his efforts don't show up on the score sheet. We have to be smarter than to think that it's simply about picking the guys with the highest stats.

manq360, JB-Bundesliga and USA-Zebuel repped this.
  19. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I don't think I said that. Of course they weren't playing all out. But that didn't stop several from saying that their second squad would easily beat us or implying that, even at half speed, it was going to be a blowout. In fact, you are making my argument for me. Here is what I said:

and

Mahtzo1 and thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    u
    [/QUOTE]

Trapp is way under-rated. I saw Adams take the ball right off the feet of his idol Kante, near the touch line, ofc. That's the problem with Adams. He idolizes Kante and probably thinks Trapp isn't athletic enough.

ussoccer97531 and Aaron d repped this.
  21. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of offsides, Bobby Wood was offsides infinity times today

juveeer, Pl@ymaker and FC Tallavana repped this.
  22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Don't you mean Reims? Or is he set for a transfer?

23. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching these kids, I am thinking you add in Pulisic and they'd run those old entitled lifers off the pitch.

Patrick167 repped this.
  24. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    FWIW I think our best passing CB is John Brooks.

juveeer, jjmack, DHC1 and 1 other person repped this.
  25. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #125 ChuckMe92, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Siebatcheu is set for a transfer of 12 to 16 million euros from Reims to Rennes, larger than when Altidore went from AZ to Sunderland. It's the biggest sale in Reims' history. Rennes finished fifth in Ligue 1 but had a fairly poor group of forwards; their goal differential was far worse than any of the other top-5 Ligue 1 teams. I expect Siebatcheu to start for Rennes right away. He'll also be participating in the Europa League group stage against some massive clubs. Seeing as their forward group isn't good, I also wouldn't mind Weah getting loaned there to link up with Siebatcheu.

KUSA77, adi21, Patrick167 and 2 others repped this.