Post-match: USA v France

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by FirstStar, Jun 9, 2018.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't agree. I think you are putting too much into a short tournament where the coach picked the team poorly.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why aren't Pomykal and Carleton (might as well add Durkin) in the pool but Parks, Sargent, Weah are? Is this European-leagues bias?

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sure, a little bit but Carleton will get his chance, no question. Not getting the Pomykal crush.

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The problem with Green is that he can win games but he can lose them as well. There's a reason he isn't in BL: Nobody hired THHF to sign players, lol

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Have you watched Pomykal play? He's highly technical and creative. Among the best in both areas in the player pool.

Not just one of these hard-work intangible guys that USSF forces on the fans. And then the federation and the fans they trick wonder why we never create attacking chances or score any goals.

6. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you dig through my comments, I learned how to record the actual broadcast right after I posted all that

7. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fwiw, the US has scored a total of 7 goals in 6 matches since Sarachan took over. Scoring goals was also a problem for Tab Ramos and the u20s. I don’t believe either of them puts any priority on creative attacking midfielders or wings. They want to press and play defense and pull a rabbit out of a hat.

At this point, I would vehemently disagree that it’s a guarantee Carleton gets his chance. If Tata buries him on the depth chart, or if either Sarachan or Tab get the job permanently, or even if the federation just picks a higher profile version of either of them as coach, this style of play could easily lead to Carleton being the guy who should get a chance but never does.

My personal opinion is that his talent will force him into minutes somewhere, and wherever he goes, he will create goals and force the hand. But it’s far from a guarantee at this point.

Patrick167 repped this.
  8. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why can’t he get into an MLS game then?

9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice, I'm glad you figured out how to record it. Makes it's easier. However, depending on what channel plays the game you can get the Tac Cam view for free post game. ESPN and FoxSoccer usually provide it.

10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really it's the context of when the games are. The euros don't get called to Jan camps usually because their teams won't release them (these are FIFA dates). The 3 you named are likely all called to the Jan camp.

juveeer repped this.
  11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Bias is usually unfair, which I take to mean not always unfair. I would admit to a bias, although I would call it a preference, that our most-talented young players go to Europe if the right opportunity presents itself.

juveeer, Patrick167, jjmack and 2 others repped this.
  12. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the key part that I feel many fans miss. Hamid is not being helped in Europe, while Steffen is being helped in MLS after not growing in Europe.

It has to be the right opportunity. Too many think playing in Europe is guaranteed better than anything stateside.

I'd prefer Parks and Steffen staying a bit longer here if it meant guaranteed playing time. Now, if they leaving to get tons of playing time on a first or even second level Euro team, that'd be better. But going to just train and make the 18 isn't guaranteed to help their development.

TimB4Last repped this.
  13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I will repeat what I stated before ... these negative proclamations on talented players (who aren't athletically hampered) in comparison to seasoned vets is silly. Kante, at 22, what is the 3rd division of French football! When he turned 23, he was in the 2nd division of French football. When he turned 24, he was in Ligue 1, and later on in that 24th year of life, was transferred to Leicester City ... not exactly known as a powerhouse in England, much less Europe. He was 25 before getting his first cap for France. If someone had seen Kante play at 18 and 19, like we are witnessing with Adams, what do you think would have been said about N'golo Kante ... especially if they were comparing him to someone else at the position, in the prime of their careers, with a major European country league championship on their resume? At that age, he was still playing on youth teams. We have gone absolutely bonkers in our expectations of teenage players. Not everyone is Neymar or Ronaldo (Brazil).

14. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will go to my grave believing Donovan would have buried that chance that fell to Wondo late vs Belgium.

adi21, napper, largegarlic and 1 other person repped this.
  15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Well, it’s certainly better than not playing for a minor league/MLS team.

jjmack and juveeer repped this.
  16. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamid is 26 and shouldn't need help. He needs to be pushed because he plateaued. Steffen grew plenty in Europe. He just didn't get PT because of the nature of compititon. He made the smart move to go for PT and returned to the MLS. He's had a very good run and should look to go back soon. Horvath is a great example. He went did well made a jump up. Struggled and fought his way back to starting with some luck to finish the year. He goes into the season in a battle and is forced to get better or get a loan to get PT. Either way he has no chance to be complacent or he will fail. Steffen right now can be as complacent as he wants. Most players don't thrive in that environment and if they stay in it for too long will plateau.

It's impossible to know what the right opportunity is (Tho some screen bad idea). There are a lot of variables that change. They have to make the best choice based on their judgement and work hard to make it work.

17. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    No "scout" worth his salary would believe Adams has the qualities to be the next Kante. Your hearsay is looking more and more questionable.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Ask that to his coach.

19. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense, I'll take the word of the coach and US coaches over your assessment of this unknown player.

frankburgers repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why couldn't Palmer-Brown get into MLS games and now gets called up to the NT?

Here's what Tab Ramos said recently about who gets a chance. http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/ramos-pleased-with-u-20-progress-as-qualifying-nears

And besides, he's not unknown. Only unknown if you are ignorant about our best younger players, which you are telling us that you are.

21. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hes also hurt and probably wasnt fit for a call up, but im sure you knew that being an expert and all.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's not hurt and I never said he should be called up, but try again.

23. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    He meant Immanuel Kant-e. In which case his hearsay is ... everyones hearsay.

Winoman repped this.
  24. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had surgery on his knee in early april.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    4-6 week injury. He played last week.