Post-match: USA v Bolivia Post Game

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by tbonepat11, May 28, 2018.

1. jjmack

jjmack Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Worst ratings ever. To give McKinnie and Olosunde the same rating just doesn’t make sense. Clearly the ratings are biased.

2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had literally nothing to do all game so hard to judge him on anything other and distribution. I think he's lacking there but as a GK that's ok if he makes up for it with great saves. But it's def a place I'd tell him to work on.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I think a lot of people forget or don't realize he played over 3000 minutes this season. 700 more than the 2300 last season. He's still 19 and that's physically demanding no matter the age. On top of that the WC failure has beaten him down and Dortmund were abjectly terrible for most of the season and he's struggled. Physically and mentally. He needs a summer away and a vastly better coach at his club team. Eventually he'll be fine despite how poor he played today.

4. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked tired with little burst. But he also looked like a guy stuck in the middle of the park after playing wing all season.

5. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Laziest post ever. He gave his ratings, he explained them. You don't even bother to explain your complaint, because it's so "clear". Do you want to put in the work to give us your own ratings?

superdave and Deadtigers repped this.
  6. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm not sure Parks missed a pass. Short and simple or progressive and defense opening we don't have a better pure passer. FU Sarachan for only giving us 35 minutes to see him. He needs to be in next week. I want to see him against better sides.

McKinnie was uber aggressive because that's how he plays but also because he figured out the ref wasn't going to card him so he took the full mile rather than just a few inches. As long as he plays how the ref lets him he'll be fine.

Robinson is an answer. One we desperately need at LB.

Sargent was good but I think that gifted goal inflated the opinions of several on here. He was not amazing.

Olosunde needs a good loan just like Robinson had. Don't know that he's better than Cannon, Moore, etc. but he does have some physical skills to build on.

People are giving Rubin way too much credit. Sound and fury signifying nothing. Work rate doesn't matter if as an offensive guy offense dies on your foot. He and Gooch made a mess of more than one chance.

Green could have been a little less selfish but again I want to see him against better competition before I say yeah, he's our #10 going forward.

The kids, overall, played well against a bad team. That's all they can do. The real test for me is Ireland more so than France. Regardless though it's so much better than watching Bradley, Jozy, and Nagbe suck the life out of the game. The kids are alright.

7. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Athleticism, speed, recovery and soccer IQ. That was pretty much it. Everyone else we trotted out didn't make up for their liabilities with their youth the way Beasley did his liabilities with his own strengths. It is embarrassing, but happily this era is over. We've basically got at least 2-4 developmental guys of interest, and in Villfana, a subpar, but borderline adequate (for concacaf) level talent. Within a year or two I think we'll have a legit starter there for really the first time seemingly ever.

One of the most interesting things going forward in the five years before the next World Cup is how we'll develop going forward considering the strength of our pool is in creative midfielders and in our defense. We've got more quality on the defensive end than virtually ever (maybe 2002-2004), and in terms of quality midfielders coming up, it seems like the best variety of talent since the days of young Donovan, beasley, obrien, Dempsey and Reyna (granted O'Brien's career went sideways before all could probably be played together).

If the kids stay healthy, I think we're back atop concacaf a year from now, and unquestioned in such a role by 2021 at the end of that hex. Depends on health and continued positive trends in development, but I think a quick bounce back is very possible, and if Taitague could stay healthy, and Wright could ever figure it out and put it all together, wow, but the latter two are big, big, big "if's" for now.

juveeer repped this.
  8. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    No doubt, but in the cases of players like Parks, Sargent, Weah, Pulisic, and McKennie for instance, we've either seen them excel in club play in elite leagues and/or seen them play overage against elite competition in major tournaments and look just fine.

W/regards to these guys, they're just damn good players, whether they're up against garbage like today, or legit competition. Olosunde, and Robinson etc, I'm not as sure, just hopeful w/fingers crossed because we haven't seen them in similar circumstances for the most part. But Parks, Sargent, Weah, McKennie etc, those guys I'm confident have a place moving forward, how big a place, for guys like Parks, Sargent and Weah depends on health and continued refinement/development (McKennie and Pulisic are already there, pending health).

9. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I expected him (and Pulisic) to be cool, calm, and collected in the middle. Didn’t happen.

Deadtigers and Suyuntuy repped this.
  10. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    He's done everything you would want.

In 2017:

Was excellent in the U-17 Qualifying Tournament.

Playing up a cycle last May, he was outstanding in the U-20 World Cup.

Didn't score the goals at the U-17 Tournament five months later (only 2 I think and only 1 in the run of play), but constantly drew the attention of our opponents opening up opportunities for others, consistently found ways to contribute outside the scoreline and scored a beauty against Paraguay in the Round of 16.

Everything out of Werder Bremen has been positive since he arrived. Constant references to him being promoted to the Senior squad for '18-'19 despite his youth and inability to play in games with their youth squads these past five months.

He's a special talent, in terms of American players, the best comp for me would be McBride in the sense that he's just such a smart, thoughtful player, always making the right decisions, but he also has a vastly superior ceiling to what McBride had twenty years ago as he was coming up. Sargent can be a legit top scorer in a league in Europe if he continues on this track, and the fact that he does all the little things too, and seems pretty selfless in his play just adds so much more. Fingers crossed for him.

11. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keaton Parks
    Keaton Parks
    Keaton Parks

Triple threat - he can defend, pass, and dribble.

More importantly - he plays center mid unlike any other player we've ever had.

He has individual flair - seems really comfortable under pressure in tight spaces - a confidence that he's going to outwit his man. . . and usually did something simple or surprising to get free or thread the pass.

I also liked how quickly he moved the ball off his feet. Compare Parks to Corona - Corona seemed to hold the ball for an extra 1/2 second too long.

Parks had the benefit of a more open game - and Bolivia were not a strong side.

Still - I thought Parks was the biggest surprise out of the bunch. He's a kid who hopefully will continue to grow in Portugal next season - and then ideally get more USMNT games as part of the Olympics.

That would be a perfect opportunity for him to take the next step with the program.

Lots of miles on the road ahead - but I like the direction this kids is headed and hope he continues to grow.

We can use him.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wouldn't want to wear one. I don't even like boots.

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So he should be in prem next year then.

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm lovin' it.

Only problem is that he doesn't have Delgado's defending instincts. He seems to have short leg extention and average positioning sense. But he's 2/3 yrs younger so let's see how things go at Benfica.

I would have one of Parks or Delgado on the pitch at all times for the USMNT going forward. Look at 87:30-87:40 for superb Parks. He just cuts thru the middle third like a hot knife thru butter.

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    "gifted" goal. Now I've heard it all. Oh, wait, Green on tap as our #10 going forward. Now I can die and say I've heard it all.

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    What did McKennie do to deserve a rating higher than average?

Playing for Schalke doesn't count.

17. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I don't want him in camp. His lazy and entitled attitude give the kids a bad influence.

18. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Tough crowd.

Those are scores I would expect to see if we had LOST 0-3.

Yes Bolivia was not good, but come on, nearly all of those scores are harsh.

19. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    The bra is for heart monitoring, I believe. Not 100% because when I played we didnt wear them but some of the kids we coach have something that looks similar.

20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    You're being kind. I thought he looked like a cleaned up version of Beetlejuice from Howard Stern.

Jurgen was right. Europe is hard. Julian has aged like a two-term US President.

21. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    It wasnt the cleanest game from him but he was all over the place in a good way and sometimes in a bad way with his tackling.

We can analyze without the snobbery. In a 3 nil win you have goalscorers with 5 rating. You can only play whos put in front of ya.

22. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    The best thing I heard is that it looks like we will have GM soon. Bad news is his time at Philly doesnt impress with how that team's done. Mixed feelings. We need a permanent head coach now! And the tool that's keeping the seat warm isn't it

Quick observations.

Joe Corona, Gooch - enough already. We have better options
    Pulisic - did not stand out as expected. Looked about the same as others on our team. Has to make the Euros thnk theres more where he came from
    Weah - fast, talented but raw. Thought he was a tad selfish at times
    McKennie - as other said. fast, tough, scary.. red card waiting to happen
    Sargent - little jittery but generally good and certainly worth more looks. I like him better than Wood at this point and we need to replace Jozy ASAP
    Parks - Impressive. Size, speed, skill. Can replace Bradley now

Bottom line is we have a large, young player pool and the future is bright. What we need now is a coach that is willing to start with this group, with maybe a few from the present group, and move forward. No point in dressing the Dempsey, Bradley, Nagbe, Jozy and others anymore. They had their chance and couldnt get it done. Move on. My biggest fear is that Sarachan is not the guy to do this. First thing he'd do is start bringing in the guys that failed again. Arena II Time to start fresh

23. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These ARE the worst ratings I've ever seen on this site. A few thoughts, the overall feeling being that these ratings are extremely low for a team that dominated an opponent. Green looked fantastic. Parks looked even better. McKennie was incredible and barely put a foot wrong in '90. He will get a red card at some point, but with maturity, he will learn to pick his moments better.

Pulisic is getting a lot of stick here but his first half was pretty good minus that bad touch in the box. He had the crowd ooing and ahhing. He was clearly exhausted and I'm guessing he won't come in for the Europe friendlies but I could be wrong. I would love to see him vs France(CP vs Dembo) but I don't think he would have his heart in it anyway so it would be pointless. I wish that friendly was in the fall but oh well.

Robinson was great with only a couple bad moments that he needs to clean up. He has that position locked down for the near future.

Sargent is absolutely silky on the ball. It was a joy to watch. Weah was also excellent and has the skillset to have a much higher ceiling. He reminds me of Zardes with better technical ability and worse finishing. His finishing is the one thing in his game he really needs to improve this year.

Novakovich is an interesting character and I slightly feel bad for him. He's gotten these garbage minutes where he appears absolutely desperate to score(Especially in light of Sargent's performance) and is throwing his hands in the air when he doesn't get the ball. It isn't a good look for someone who has done nothing internationally. I like his skillset but I feel like a few forwards have passed him by and he needs to produce asap before we never see him in the shirt again.

24. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    One thing that bothers me about McKennie (with both Schalke and the US) is how "handsy" he is. I'm surprised he gets away with as much as he does.

wsmaugham and WrmBrnr repped this.
  25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Robinson reminded me of Yedlin very early in his career getting forward and relying on athleticism to make up for positioning deficiencies.

Parks was not as good as many are making him out to be. Seemed to me that many of is passes were undertouched. That said, he seems to have 'a plan' every time the ball came to him. Well before the ball arrives he already knows where/what he is going to do. Would like to see this tested on a less tired, more caring team than a Bolivia team in the final 30 minutes.

Pulisic was like the golfer being paid an appearance fee. He just wanted to get to vacation.

Sargent was fun. Quick thinking, but again, it was Bolivia in a low gear. Can't make much of it beyond he took what they gave.