Pre-match: USA @ Ukraine. March 5th 2014 *CANCELLED* ...or maybe not

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I met this Canadian from Canada once...

Deeneaus, Marko72 and SOCCERMARINE repped this.
  2. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I am a Canadian who also just happens to be a proud member of the American Outlaws, so there you go.

SOCCERMARINE repped this.
  3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why Omar and Besler should be there.

Of course, Jurgen might not consider them lock starters and that's why he's comfortable giving others a shot at CB. I don't think our CB pairing is anywhere near solidified and leaving Omar/Besler at home suggests just that.

4. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we know they are not part of the "spine". Maybe the slipped disk between Jones/Bradley and Howard.

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  5. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    The domestic camp and friendly didn't reveal any suddenly ready-for-prime time talent.

Lets hope that after this friendly there's at least one unexpected guy that really really looks the part. (And that none of the "spine" looks like a lost cause).

6. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Mix indirectly led me to this AP article about the match. It includes training photos of Ukraine plus some training photos of Klinsmann, one with a blurry Jones and Green. One quirky point: the Ukraine coach thinks that the match will be similar in style to a Premier League match, because so many of the USA players ply their trade at clubs in England.

7. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    As was the plan. He was never planning to travel to the friendly.

8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    keller4president repped this.
  9. StlDon

StlDon Red Card

Sep 17, 2013
    KCMO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DiscoWarrior11 and keller4president repped this.
  10. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ukraine will have something to prove--to show that htey are strong, and can beat the snot out of USA despite their political turmoil in country.

Should be an interesting match

11. camasterton

camasterton Member

Jun 26, 2001
    North Carolina
    And so ineptly you whine, proving your delusion.

12. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is Brad Guzan a better GK than Howard at this point? It seems rather close to me, and Guzan has been good of late.

13. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    What I'd like to see:

--------Altidore---------
    -AJ----Dempsey-----Bedoya
    -----Sacha----Jones
    -Fab---Brooks--Packwood---Cameron
    ---------Howard-----------

What I think we'll see:
    -----------Altidore---------
    -Fab------Dempsey-----Bedoya
    ----------Sacha----Jones
    -Castillo---Brooks--Onyewu---Cameron
    -------------Howard----------------

Predictions/Notes:
    - JK will start Castillo at LB and unfortunately it isn't going to go well defensively. It will be expose tons of space and leave Brooks with a ton of crosses coming in his way. The youngster from Hertha Berlin is going to have A LOT of work to do. Onyewu will be better off since he has a bit more cover with a good RB in Cameron. If Fab is our LB I'll feel a lot more comfortable about that backline. Ukraine's strength is on the flanks...our right flank should be okay with Bedoya and Cameron (this will be good prep for Portugal since both could start that match vs. CR7)...but that left side if Castillo is the LB...eek.
    - Biggest opportunity to silence the majority for fans: Altidore, Dempsey and Jones. All need to show they rightfully belong a part of the "spine" and step up big time.
    - Would like to see Agudelo and Williams get at least 35 mins as well

14. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I think so, but its not like Howard is a bum .

15. StlDon

StlDon Red Card

Sep 17, 2013
    KCMO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please tell me you're making that up. Otherwise I'll be forced to watch the match on UniMas and focus too much attention on understanding their Spanish, and not enough on the match.

Statman, dredgfan and Reccossu repped this.
  16. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Howard is not a bum. This reminds me of the Friedel / Keller deal; the hot hand gets the start. But it seems like Brad G has been sort of written off as #2. Co #1s in my book.

17. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll see Guzan plenty in 2015 and beyond.

18. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    based on R.bennett's comments he should be afraid of Jozy leaning up and slapping him in the face.

it may sound stupid, but I think Jspec would have benefited from starting football a bit later. He needed to build his playing personality first...because he has all the skills, he just fades into something he thinks he should be rather than play to his potential.

19. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spector always looked better to me in the middle of the park. Outside, same old story, he's got less-than-world-class quickness and gets by (most of the time) with smarts. Pleased that he's getting another look.

20. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He could play plenty at the WC, or he could not get a minute. We'll see.

21. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feel like I knew of Spector 15years ago. I think I remember some on BS thinking he was a lock for starting 3 WC. Wish he would have just balled and freelanced some. Seems club structure made him a rigid player. Always as told, how told, when told playing style.

22. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Did cherundolo have world-class quickness? Or parkhurst? Nope. Smarts can get you far.

tab5g repped this.
  23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Injuries made the ceiling of Spector's career. Yet he has put together a strong(whoscored strong) run of 6 games stretching back to September, only 6 as he was yet again injured. His overall rating is much higher than last year's. Looks to be getting most of his latest games at right back and right mid. It'd be interesting to gauge any progress he has made at international level with this game.

I'd like to see Shea get minutes as a wing forward; it's the one position he has been consistently dangerous for us in.

First half:

Spector, Castillo, and Cameron provide excellent service from the flanks. Fabian is brilliant cutting inside to deliver balls. Dempsey and Altidore will have no excuses.

------------Altidore
    -----------------Dempsey
    ----Castillo--------------Spector
    ---------Williams---Kljestan
    --Fabian----------------------Cameron
    -----------Jones---Gooch
    --------------Howard

Second half:
    A chance for Altidore to play off a centerforward. Shea gets a chance to show he can make an impact at forward. Spector shows he can be serviceable as a right back.

----------------AJ
    -------Shea--------Altidore
    --------fabian----kljestan
    -------------williams
    ---cameron--------------spector
    ----------brooks---gooch
    --------------howard

24. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    ------------------Altidore------------------
    --Johnson-----Dempsey-------Bedoya--
    -------------Jones--Kljestan--------------
    Castillo---Brooks---Onyewu---Cameron
    -----------------Howard--------------------

Is my predicted lineup

My lineup might be:

----------------Altidore-------------------
    --------Dempsey----Johannsson--------
    -----Jones-----Williams---Kljestan-----
    Johnson--Brooks--Onyewu--Cameron
    ------------------Howard------------------

Bring back the X-MAS tree!!! I really want to see AJ start and this is one of the few ways to make it happen.

I see Castillo starting as why fly him over otherwise, but... he's turrible. Bedoya is just a guy for me. I like him for the 23, but if I can start just about any one else, I will.

Ignoring JK and going with my plan; I give Guzan the 2nd half. Boyd, Shea and Agudelo can all come in at '60 to replace the front 3. Bedoya can sub in for Jones at '75. Packwood gets a cap at '85 for Gooch.

Dos a cero for the good guys.

jaxonmills repped this.
  25. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was not a "whine", so if you thought it was then it's no shock it would be "inept" at something it wasn't. However, setting aside the comedy of your first five words, the jump from them to the last three is where the rich vein of your hilarity is found.
    If, CamaSterton, I had whined, and had whined ineptly, what exactly would that have to do with a "proof of delusion"? .................Well?