Pre-match: USA-Trinidad and Tobago, World Cup Qualifier, 8 June 2017

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the one away match I don't mind tying.

Anyone know if we have any players on a yellow that would miss the mexico match if they were to earn a yellow vs T&T.

2. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think USMNT fans hold way too much a grudge over a game that happened almost 4 and a half years ago

juveeer, Ironbound and Statman repped this.
  3. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Bradley has sucked for three years and he still get auto starts.

nepotism! Hahahaha

juveeer and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We all have different preferences for certain players. I've seen worse rosters, but as I said, Arena pretty much went chalk. We shouldn't just assume the known names are necessarily better. There are plenty of players who will presumably be given a runout at the Gold Cup who could've been used here. Lets see if it works. Maybe those players would've been better options here, despite their "inexperience". I wouldn't have Rimando, Guzan, Beasley, Gonzalez, Ream, Zusi, Bedoya, McCarty or Wood on my 23 man roster, but thats only my opinion. We'll see how this works. He went with what most expected to be the roster.

5. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe only Geoff Cameron, could be wrong though.

Edit: Way off, I forgot to check the match report for 2 games. Also Bradley, Brooks, Altidore, and Besler

6. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Eh. He has said that he struggled with heat/humidity and is not a fan of airplanes. I think he may be better off since he will get a week plus to acclimatize rather than a couple of days.

7. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who would you have in their places? That's kinda the implication of what I was asking. Those players are expected with reason. And not just because they've got experience and caps. Let's see which guys you think are "better".

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    My 23 would be

GK: Howard, Hamid, Horvath
    Defenders: Yedlin, Chandler, Besler, Brooks, Miazga, Hedges, Johnson, Villafana
    Midfielders: Cameron, Bradley, Acosta, Trapp, Pulisic, Nagbe, Arriola, Feilhaber
    Forwards: Altidore, Dempsey, Morris, Agudelo

CU soccer repped this.
  9. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Glad to see Hedges name in there. Sensible to involve him with the fil team. Wouldn't have minded seeing Feilhaber, Agudelo, and Lichaj. Glad Wondo is nowhere in sight.

And the clock is ticking until Horvath is #1. He should be in every camp for the next 10-15 years.

10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm sure everyone is relieved that Wondo didn't make the squad.:p

Lookingforleftbacks and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamid, Miazga, Trapp, Feilhaber, Agudelo?

If Bruce cuts the fat from this roster (Rimando, Beasley, Zusi, Bedoya), those are the key roster differences.

IDK why you have Morris, but no Wood. Wood is literally a better, two-footed version of Morris. Both aren't in great form, and both are coming off injuries. One has to fly from Europe. Big deal.

Miazga seems a little unnecessary. He's not good enough to be a full USMNT player. Yeah, he started half a season in the Netherlands, good. But this is WCQ. You don't spend roster spots on development (aside from the 3rd GK).

Trapp hasn't had the best couple of seasons, I think that's pretty clear. Even if you figure that Columbus is a pretty bad team, I just don't know why you'd give a spot to someone of his caliber. He's OK in MLS, as a metronome, but not really special.

Feilhaber's a snub. But it's to the point that it's clear that there's just something about him that rubs coaches the wrong way. 3 coaches, many years, good form at the right times for callups... but still no callups? Gotta be something about the way he interacts with the other players or the coaches. I can't see none of the last 3 HC's rating him.

I'd have called up Agudelo over Morris. I think form's important for strikers.

bsky22, CU soccer and JJV1994 repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You questioned me, not the other way around. I have my opinion, and thats that. We don't need to go point by point over individual players.

13. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok then.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    a glue guy?

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I want Bill Hamid. I'm glad we have Horvath though.

We only neither either/or Guzan/Howard.

Rimando isn't going to the World Cup so Arena needs to properly prep the likes of Horvath, Hamid, Bingham, Steffen or whoever to be no3 and possibly no2.

16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A player that is a good locker-room presence. Makes those around him better, even if he isn't as good.

https://www.usab.com/youth/news/2011/12/the-importance-of-a-glue-guy.aspx

A recent example would be Andre Iguodala. His minutes have come down, and he's not quite worth a big contract when the Warriors are so deep with defensively-talented guards. But he plays the game the right way, and is an extremely positive force in the locker room, not only keeping players focused during the game, but also off the court. So Kerr is probably going to keep him, almost like another coach in the locker room.

Perhaps Rimando is a very good locker presence. He teaches the young guys the right way to do things, etc. Those kinds of players/coaches can be valuable.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I think it's more about his speed than his finishing ability (or lack thereof currently). If, say, the US is 0-0 at Azteca in the 60th minute, it might be really nice to bring Morris on as a long-ball target to release pressure and keep Mexico honest.

JJV1994 repped this.
  18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    JJV1994 repped this.
  19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Oh okay. Thanks

I concur. But he served that role in 2014. I think we need a different "glue guy" going forward.

20. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. I'm losing faith in Bruce. These call ups are maybe 1-2 players off from being exactly who JK woulda brought in.

If we only manage 1 point in these next 2 qualifyers, I won't be surprised at all.

21. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? T&T are pretty bad...

Dr. Gamera and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  22. Illini Joe

Illini Joe Member

May 26, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Is anyone else begging to see Cameron at CDM? He's the closest thing we have to a true CDM and right now that is the most important position in soccer IMO. We don't really need a CDM against T&T, but I would love to see how Cameron protects our backline against Mexico.

I'm also hoping Bruce keeps Pulisic on the wing for now. He has the skillset to be a great 10 but he's not quite there yet. Keep him on the wing where the game is simpler.

napper, Sebsasour and CU soccer repped this.
  23. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been screaming for this...

---Wood---Dempsey---
    ---------Benny----------
    Pulisic---------Johnson
    -------Cameron--------
    JF-Besler-JAB-Yedlin
    --------Horvath---------

IMO, that is absolutely our strongest possible starting 11. Swap Howard in at GK, maybe.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Who's preferred XI is this?

[​IMG]

Take a guess...

Show Spoiler
    Matt Doyle but Klinsmann would have chosen this lineup and Bruce will probably choose this lineup. Why did we hire Bruce if he is just JK in disguise?

juveeer, Statman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea. It's frikin insanity. Different manager, same sh!t.

beerslinger23 repped this.