Rumor: USA to possibly wait until Post World Cup to hire the best possible candidate to coach.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some of you are going overboard in saying Pareja won't play youth after only one year in which didn't but also going overboard on saying Martino has no interest in developing young Americans after only being an MLS coach for one year. What we will hopefully get is the best coach we can afford and that is willing to coach here. That likely won't be anywhere near the best coach in the world so there is some realism required. Pareja did have mishaps last year that make me question if he's ready for a National team gig. Vermes and Marsh also have those sort of questions as does anyone in MLS nor named Tata who has actually done it. Of course he said he came to MLS to get away from that sort of pressure. A really good tactical coach that started in S. America that then went to several Euro leagues would be my preference. Not sure any guy that fit's that category would want anything to do with the US team.

2. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst part of this is not being able to have a "Fire ______!" thread.

sXeWesley, TOAzer and Baysider repped this.
  3. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I agree. The Euro club coaching market will get going in May/June, so we'd potentially miss out on any good options there, if we wait until after the tournament. I don't think they should rush the decision, but if they settle on the preferred candidate in, say, June, why not just make the deal then?

manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Let's say you're an American coach and you go to Europe. You pay to get the courses there, and after that what? Stand in a corner there with a "Will Coach For Food" sign?

It's not about "going to Europe" or "sending to Europe." It's about being wanted there. By now, though, everything American in the soccer world has the reputation of Chinese car parts.

TOAzer and deuteronomy repped this.
  5. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll help you out, then.

Fire Dan Flynn.

Fire the entire USSF board.

Fire Don Garber.

Fire Dave Sarachan

6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it’s been that way for a while.

Even here, American coaches are considered amateurish. The recent failure of Bruce probably exacerbated the narrative.

TOAzer and manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  7. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I'm fine with waiting until after the cup to hire an experienced international coach. I'm not fine with waiting until after the cup to just pluck someone out of MLS.

It is hard for American coaches, but if I'm heading a team in Europe and I saw Bradley, supposedly the top USA coach, flame out. Well, I'm thinking maybe numbers 2 through whatever are maybe not quite worth looking at. Any MLS coach would have to start in a smaller league or as an assistant and work themselves up. MLS is pretty low on the food chain. You don't go from working the grill at McDonalds to head chef at a fine restaurant without a few stops along the way. Expecting a guy to go from MLS to a head position in the bigger leagues seems a bit optimistic at best, really.

Winoman repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    And, of course, it doesn't help when they start with the Brad Bobley skits as soon as the guy takes charge.

David Wagner may be free shortly, though.

sXeWesley repped this.
  9. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a chicken or the egg thing as well though, going over there looking for a head coaching job is entirely different than going over there as an assistant and working your way up,

Regardless, whatever progress we might have made is definitely shot now between Bruce 3.0 and Bradley's Swansea adventure.

10. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Is he planning on quitting? Because he certainly isn't getting fired.

11. Jtsmith1

Jtsmith1 Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What about Joachim Low? He might leave Germany after the 2018 WC.

12. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we may go with a more practical coach, designed to come up with a solid plan for the senior team. Then get a technical director with a more grandious vision and allow the two to work together. So for me, those two hires are of equal importance. Waiting to start the search for either after the cup is a bad idea. Get started after the election and if someone wows, no need to wait. If not, well at least the net has been cast far and wide.

13. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone asked him about the US coaching position, and Wagner started laughing.

I can guess what his answer's gonna be if USSF asks him...

14. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Bump... the poor soccer insider got scammed into writing this article a year ago. I guess it seemed reasonable at the time and I'll admit I was fooled. Some good quotes in there...

comoesa, skim172 and TOAzer repped this.
  15. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they meant the next WC?

16. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point the USSF might as well just remove the tag of "Interim" from Hapless Dave, if anyone can party like it's Soccer USA-1955 Sarachan can.

17. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Well ... technically, the rumor was correct ...

TOAzer and largegarlic repped this.
  18. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Yes... technically, they have forever for the first part...

USA to possibly wait until Post World Cup to hire

Not much to convince me about the latter part ...

the best possible candidate to coach

19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made a list of all the coaches at the WC around that time and it was clear that 95% of them were never even going to be thought of as a candidate in any manner.

20. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF Statement in OP: "We are developing a strategic approach to selecting the next head coach, and we will be thorough and methodical."

LOL

That Stewart...