Rumor: USA to possibly wait until Post World Cup to hire the best possible candidate to coach.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Stars & Stripes predictions have Vermes as the next NT coach:

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/usmnt-news/2017/12/29/16821002/usa-usmnt-bold-predictions-2018

"In the end, I think the next head coach will be one who has longed for the job for a number of years, is a product of the system and is one that makes sense: Peter Vermes. The Sporting Kansas City head coach is a former USMNT player, knows the system, commands respect from players, and has been known for finding young talent and playing them to maximize their potential."

They're not the only ones, the rumor is rather strong even though Peter himself denied any interest back in September.

http://jacksonobserver.com/should-sporting-kc-increase-payroll-trade-candidates-vermes-to-usmnt/

"The final decision for the next U.S. Soccer men’s national team coach will, of course, depend on whoever wins the U.S. Soccer presidency in February. Regardless, I fully expect Peter Vermes to receive an interview. If he wants one. It’s nearly impossible to predict whether he’ll be a preferred choice without knowing who will be in charge of the hire."

Also, Zavagnin just completed his US Soccer Pro license and is set to stay as the Sporks' manager were Vermes to leave:

https://www.sportingkc.com/post/201...kerry-zavagnin-completes-us-soccer-pro-course

deuteronomy repped this.
  3. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPB has something to say about that

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please, for all that is holy, NO.

sXeWesley, Statman, gunnerfan7 and 5 others repped this.
  5. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I feel like our next coach should be an MLS coach or has MLS coaching experience. Hear me out. Most of our starters will be playing in Europe. Not hard to figure out they are playing at a higher level. The hard part is figuring out our depth and bench players which will mostly consist of MLS players and that where familiarity with the league is crucial. Someone with good tactics that isn't opposed to trying youth out is optimal.

deuteronomy repped this.
  6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Good tactics plus youth does not equal MLS.

21st Century Pele and sXeWesley repped this.
  7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sound like you want a German coach.

8. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The key being a competent German coach.

wsmaugham and TOAzer repped this.
  9. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Arsene should be available soon.

10. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Wenger hates the refs in England, wait 'til he sees Concacaf's.

11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    While there will be more candidates after the World Cup, there will also be 32 other teams probably looking for a coach. We should hire one as soon as the Presidential election is over and a process put in place. Not having a coach and staff invested in the future probably a big reason Gonzales left for Mexico. Waiting around carries costs.

manfromgallifrey91, neems and sXeWesley repped this.
  12. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Couldn’t agree more. It is not like coaches are lining up to take over a dumpster fire. I am not sure how Post WC will deepen our pool of potential coaches. I do see how righting the ship and making moves towards the future might lessen the perception of being a shit show and attract better than MLS/college coach quality

manfromgallifrey91 and Patrick167 repped this.
  13. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you miss what happened the last time we tried that line of reasoning? We ended up with "there are players in MLS that play his position" and a lot of us are cancelling our trip to Russia this summer.

gunnerfan7, Patrick167 and Borrachin repped this.
  14. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'm guessing you missed the part where we didn't have time for a full coaching search and went with someone that already knew some of the team and the international game. Unfortunately it didn't work out and that quote you dropped was about calling up Vilafana to camp cupcake because he was a LB and we were playing a LM there instead. I do recall most of BS being upset because JK keep snubbing him dispite it being a position of need.

deuteronomy repped this.
  15. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about we get one of those young German coaches rigt out of coaching school Let me explain. Generally the guys who get the top marks are ear marked for high level coaching jobs pretty soon once they get their licenses. I think Tedesco of Schalke is a recent example.

16. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I honestly don't think the US job is as undesirable as some make it out to be. Whoever the new coach is, he's pretty much guaranteed to look good in comparison to this past cycle. As bad as the US was for much of the cycle, it still took a 1-in-a-million own goal followed by a 1-in-a-million bomb from 40 yards out to knock the US out of the WC. I think it's highly unlikely that that happens again, especially with some of the new talent coming onto the scene.

So, even if the US still mostly plays like crap, they're likely to qualify for the next WC, and the new coach will be haled as the guy who revived the US program. I don't think top-tier coaches (e.g., Ancelotti) would go for the job, but I think it's actually a pretty good one for younger, less proven coaches who want to increase their profile or established, previously well-regarded coaches who had a bad stint somewhere and need to rebuild their reputation.

sXeWesley, schrutebuck and SamsArmySam repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #67 Clint Eastwood, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    You are definitely correct.
    While the US doesn't pay what the top tier of national team jobs pay, its a lot of money. [And the USSF may decide that they need to invest in coaching and up the salary slot.]

And its an opportunity to build something from almost scratch with some very nice ingredients (Pulisic, McKennie, etc) already in place. Due to the state the program is in, the USSF will probably also have to offer quite a number of years in the job offer. There will be some level of job security and time to build the program.

I can easily see them get a pretty darn good coach. Not a top tier guy (like Ancelotti as you say), but that second tier down. If they want somebody like Roberto Martinez, who's currently coaching Belgium, they can probably get him.

Young and ambitious guys like that want the day-to-day work of club football......................

The USMNT job is set up perfectly for an older guy with a resume that likes the idea of the building process. A lot more technical director and scouting work than day-to-day coaching work to start with.

Oscar Pareja checks a lot of boxes if we want to go the domestic route...........................
    Yes, he had a blip last season. He's said he'd leave FCD for one of three jobs: USMNT, Colombian national team, or Millionarios in Colombia.

Note: The USMNT coach should really be bilingual and speak Spanish. Check on Pareja. Some USMNT coaches, like Bob Bradley, did actually make an effort to learn Spanish.

Peter Vermes, who people poo-pooed above, speaks passable Spanish......................enough to actually speak to a kid and his family. I mean, not great. But the effort is there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=29&v=aqY1v3krhzU

neems and deuteronomy repped this.
  18. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    When JK made it explicit that MLS was a problem for player quality and scheduling he put MLS on notice. This forced them to force feed the MLS message. To the point where it was harder to make the USMNT if you were not playing in MLS.

The results are obvious. If your best solution is to force feed Suzi as RB despite having far better options or placing as DM captain walk around then you get what you deserve.

Waiting for the next president is Garber speak for, choosing who we want and keeping the success of the last four years in place.

gunnerfan7 repped this.
  19. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Actually, i think the quote was about Danny Williams who was playing very well for Reading at the time. Looked pretty good in Portugal and is the the only American midfielder currently in the English Premier League. But hey, we had Kellyn, Dax, Zusi, Bedoya, and all the other MLS midfielders.

20. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Claudio Reyna. Speaks Spanish. One of the best USMNT players ever.

21. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care how many languages he speaks, there's no reason to hire an MLS good ol' boy. I can't believe that's even a criteria. We should be distancing ourselves from the soccer establishment, and if heads aren't going to roll in the administrative positions, we should at least hire a manager who can approach the pool with fresh, unbiased eyes.

Michael Bradley knows German, Italian, and Dutch. Really helped him lead our team! Oh, wait, that doesn't help at all!

For example, if we're going to talk about Roberto Martinez, I hope we look at him as a manager, not because he speaks Spanish (besides, he probably uses vosotros and has that *c*-to-*th* lisp, and we don't need that;)).

jjmack and sXeWesley repped this.
  22. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Can't agree with Gunner more. Enough of the MLS guys and the Good Ol Boys that keep getting recycled. This goes for the Youth teams too.

MLS should be where American coaches start but then they have to push themselves. We want our players to do this, why do we give coaches a pass? There is a real bias against them, but the only way to change that is to have guys go to Europe (or even Argentina) and start winning games. Bradley did it, but at the first sign of adversity, he came back to MLS and big money, just like his son.

I think Marsch is looking to move. He is young and if he is successful, then he won't want to coach a national team (maybe 2026 if we host). So, probably no Americans for awhile. Friedel has contacts and I wonder if he would want to test himself.

I think MLS parity really hurts the coaches in this regard though. Parity seems to be dying and a guy like Vanney could win some championships with a payroll much higher than almost everyone else. He shouldn't move the USMNT, but to Sheffield United.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why should speaking multiple languages be criteria for hiring the next NT coach?

I don't even care if the coach speaks English. Hire Tata and bring a translator. Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if the next coach spoke only Spanish or Italian or German.

Perhaps Vermes should have spent more time learning tactics than spending time learning Spanish as only one of the two helps as soon as the ball kicks off and it ain't Spanish.

In general IMO the next coach cannot be tied to the establishment. He must be an outsider. We cannot have the anti-foreigner sentiment which is a large part of us not being in Russia continuing on. And the establishment really has an anti- anything which isn't MLS attitude, which is anti-foreigner by extent.

I also don't really get the Pareja hype. One of the supposed best academies in the states and refuses to play youth. Regularly buys foreigners and plays them over young Americans. Tactically FCD plays an ugly style. He's not some great tactician whereas Tata from game one was playing one of the most attractive and coherent styles the league's ever seen. FCD regularly looks disjointed and in-cohesive.

Now I'm not suggesting Pareja is a bad coach. I see him as a prospect for the NT job and needs a fair amount more seasoning. But rebounding from this failure of a cycle means we explicitly need a proven international manager. Most important hire in our history. Frankly I'd like to see Pareja move to and coach a bigger team/club with more pressure and more resources and see how he does. FCD is a really small team on the global scale.

gunnerfan7, sXeWesley and Patrick167 repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm not saying he's the best possible candidate. I'd also prefer a "bigger name" with a better pedigree and track record. I just think that if we're going to go the domestic route, he's one of the better options. He checks some boxes for me much more than Vermes, Marsch, etc.

In 3 of the past 4 seasons Pareja has given the most minutes to domestic U20s of any coach in MLS. [In 2016, FCD gave 14% of MLS minutes to homegrown players. Sporting Kansas City? 1.9%. Portland? 0%.] Its impossible for somebody to say Oscar Pareja refuses to play youth. He won the Supporter's Shield two seasons ago with the youngest roster in the league and the 2nd lowest payroll. In fact, the median age in 2017 on FCD's roster was 24. [Note that he didn't just do this at Dallas. During his time at the Rapids he dramatically reduced the age of the first team roster giving a bunch of opportunities to younger players.] He's accomplished more with less than any coach in MLS. And on the world stage we need to do more with less. We need results that are greater than the sum of our parts.

Its important to note that Pareja isn't just the coach of FCD.................he's the architect of that academy. He built it from scratch. In fact, he was a USYNT coach with the U17s in Bradenton, and left to build that academy.

If we're looking for a coach and technical director with an emphasis on the development of our young players......................he's a good candidate. Are people watching Tata Martino with Atlanta? No interest in developing young American players. Tata Martino is the epitome of a guy who'd call up Bradley, Jozy, and the gang to maximize results over development. I have no doubt that Jozy, Bradley, and the gang would flourish under him compared to Arena/Klinsmann.

25. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that the process needs to start before the world cup. We start the search after the election, get a pool of canidates and do interviews.

If a coach is coaching another national team, you can backdoor coverstaions about a takeover. Get a memorandum of understanding in place to take over after the world cup if you want. Or maybe you find someone you want to hire from a club or who is unemployed. There's no reason to not start the search immediately after Feb 1O.

largegarlic and Patrick167 repped this.